Resolutions

Silent-Hunter

Hardcore Member
What resolutions will the Pyra's inbuilt display support? Will I be able to change it away from 1280x720 using xrandr? I'd like to be able to temporarily change it to 1360x768 so I can use VNC from my desktop without having to pan.

Well I know from using the Devboard, the SoC is capable of higher resolutions for sure, The LCD is a bit of an unknown to me.

Yes, and that part has 720 lines of pixels. If you want to show more on screen you'll need some kind of scaling going on I think, but I'm not a big user of xrandr myself, and I don't quite understand yet how the 720p internal screen and the 1080p HDMI socket relate, and what 'fullscreen' means if you've got both displays connected.

Yeah I'm wondering because I tried it on my HP Mini and I just got this BadMatch X11 error when I tried to add the new resolution to the LVDS1 monitor in xrandr. It doesn't report EDID so maybe that's the problem. I was just hoping the Pyra would allow me to set it to higher resolutions and just downscale them to fit the screen.

Well easy solution I came up with is I just run 1280x720 vncserver on my Linux box as the OMAP5 devboard and my accelerated Amigas all run 720p monitors. I'm not screen sharing, I just run different desktops at that specific resolution.

Quite some VNC clients are able to scale the remote screen to fit the local one so you don't habe to pan (like the implementation in Remmina for example). Switching to a higher resolution than the panel is made for does only work on old CRTs if I remember correctly.

I tried using ssvnc which supports scaling, but the performance was not good compared to xtightvncviewer, which doesn't support scaling. But I can try it again on the Pyra, it's more powerful than this HP Mini.
[doublepost=1549913679,1549913603][/doublepost]
Well easy solution I came up with is I just run 1280x720 vncserver on my Linux box as the OMAP5 devboard and my accelerated Amigas all run 720p monitors. I'm not screen sharing, I just run different desktops at that specific resolution.
Unfortunately my desktop is Windows, which I need for using Moonlight/Nvidia game streaming, and certain games.
[doublepost=1549913844][/doublepost]Also, I can switch my main monitor on my desktop to resolutions higher than it supports, so I know some things support it. I suppose the best course of action is to wait until my Pyra is here and just try it.

Back