Request For Pandora Console For Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

brakken

Still Fresh
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in, but my name is Brakken and I run a network of video gaming sites including www.tehskeen.com and www.iso420.org. I review many homebrew devices (on iso420) and would love to get a Pandora for review. If it's possible please contact me via the email I signed up with. I'm not asking for a free unit as I will pay a discount reviewers fee, but won't turn a free one down. Either way please reply when you have the time.

Thanks,
brakken

brakken said:
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in, but my name is Brakken and I run a network of video gaming sites including www.tehskeen.com and www.iso420.org. I review many homebrew devices (on iso420) and would love to get a Pandora for review. If it's possible please contact me via the email I signed up with. I'm not asking for a free unit as I will pay a discount reviewers fee, but won't turn a free one down. Either way please reply when you have the time.

Thanks,
brakken
Wrong section, this is the GP2X area. Not the pandora's section.

Pandora is still being developed, there isnt much to review yet. But if you can get one from the guys all the power to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Review units? Hmm...

Of course it's up to Craig, but I don't think Pandora necessarily needs to go this route for reviews.

The people who would really want a Pandora will already be getting one, and that inevitably will include lots of website ops and people with the ability to post reviews. It's the sort of gadget that many "pro" reviewers will be buying for themselves anyway.

And what is this "discount reviewer's fee" business? Sounds like someone just trying to get a Pandora for cheap (or free). ;)

If complimentary/free units are issued, it should only be to truly high profile sites where it would make a difference in sales. And considering the initial 3000 are likely to have no problem selling, might be better to just save those units for paying customers and/or devs.

Definitely sounds like some mooching for a free/discount unit.
If anyone should get discounts it should be the devs working on MK0 boards, or major devs in the community considering Pandora will live/die by the software written for it, not the hardware specs.

I'd happily review a Pandora too... ;)

As I am sure was said before, reviewing a unit before it is 100% would be a bad move. If it were unfinished and created a negative review that could be very damaging. Also, should the devs want to issue review unts, they only need to issue a very small number to selective sites / mags to achieve maximum publicity.

Actually, it is VERY common for electronics magazines (And to a lesser extent, web sites) to get FREE stuff, in hopes that they might do a review of it. However, most of the ones with a good reputation do not do this, mainly because they do not want any influence given by the fact that it was free (Or low cost). I used to write tech articles for a magazine, and I have been contacted by companies to review their products. Generally, they send you one of their many review units, then you have to send them back after a few weeks so they can ship it to a new reviewer. I think that dedicating 3-5 Pandoras to this would be a good idea, and they can be given to devs or sold as refurbished after they have served their purpose. To the OP... Basically, if you have to ask before they do... You are just being a mooch, especially asking for one to keep.

Hey, that gives me an idea.
why not send one system to all the reviewers and people majorly involved with the Pandora, and have them sign it? then it could be auctioned on ebay, with the proceeds going to the dev fund. It would require less Pandoras sent out, as they would all review one system (loaded with software) and benefit the developer fund. i could see it going >500, if it was loaded with software on the SD cards.

You don't need to send out many Pandoras for review. One to Engadget (they've shown plenty of interest already), one to Gizmodo (you can't send one to Engadget and not Gizmodo, they'd get all bent out of shape), and maybe one to CNET (if they'd take it - If not Anandtech or Ars Technica probably would). That pretty well covers all the "professional" reviews you need.

As for amateur reviews, I think the people here will have that covered. Half the board as personal web pages or blogs and I'm sure we'll all be posting pictures and reviews when the Pandoras finally arrive. Anything more than that is overkill.

brakken, I'd wait a few months after the official release to pickup a review unit. (or whenever the 2nd batch arrives)

These units to to build features slowly after time before it becomes as awesome as GP2X is today. If you're itching for a homebrew device review, GP2X F200 is always there and quite functional. (And discontinued)

EDIT: oh and gizmodo are a bunch of wankers. remember the universal remote incident at CES?

CNET would be an awful idea as their audiance is farmer joe gadget user. Gamershell would be a great site. They are somewhere between underground and universally loved and have always supported gp2x.

Is this going to be moved to the LOL files? Because I lost control of my sphincter laughing. :lol:

cb88 said:
...send one to http://www.hackaday.com/ !!! ...though we'd probably never see it in the same form again ...LOL

If we were going to send one to a mod/hacking site, wouldn't benheck.com be a better choice? Ben Heckendorn even has ties with Engadget. ;)

-God Ginrai

What the hell would Ben Heck do with it? Make it MORE portable?

Maybe he'd turn it into a full sized desktop computer. :rolleyes:

whats everybodys problem with tehskeen?

Its a really good site in my opinion, where I got rilly good info bout wii-homebrew nd stuff

Crasherball said:
Its a really good site in my opinion, where I got rilly good info bout wii-homebrew nd stuff
They did try and hijack libogc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back