Request/Bounty: Compile Linux Driver for DVB-Stick, get 50€ for your time

Hmmm, I applied the patch, build the module but I'm getting an "invalid format error" when trying to modprobe it...

Modinfo gives the exact same info for both modules (firmware one and mine). I'm a bit puzzled there, I'm not a kernel wizard :/

If someone more expert have an idea, I'll be interested ;)

Hmmm, I applied the patch, build the module but I'm getting an "invalid format error" when trying to modprobe it...

Modinfo gives the exact same info for both modules (firmware one and mine). I'm a bit puzzled there, I'm not a kernel wizard :/

If someone more expert have an idea, I'll be interested ;)

Thx for your efforts so far. Please keep on trying. I read it could be the compiler used for compiling the module being different from the compiler used for compiling the kernel, but this you would have found out by yourself since u already ran modinfo.

Sounds like a kernel version mismatch. If modinfo gives the same version magic string then this is confusing indeed. Maybe something with your .config is somehow conflicting?

I suppose it's compiler differences, there might be more info in dmesg.

In either case I've cherry-picked that patch for the next firmware update.

Wow, and thanks for your help.

Does that mean that in the next release my stick should just work after applying that modprobe command Clop mentioned in his second post?

When do you expect the next release to happen then?

I suppose it's compiler differences, there might be more info in dmesg.

As always, Notaz nailed it. dmesg says "disagrees about version of symbol module_layout" . Google says that means different configs between running kernel and built kernel.

I'll rebuild my kernel with original config tonight (must have messed something).

Ok I tried and failed!

How do you compile a kernel with the default config and a module that's not in it? Or do I make my config badly? I followed wiki and copied the defconfig from pandora-firmware, as-102 was not checked. How can that be, as it is already in the firmware?

Dunno what to do, sorry :/

Copy the config from the nand :)

Worked for me but I didn't do it in superzaxxon. Maybe it changed there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any idea where it is located on the fs? I'll try that tonight.

Thanks for your help!

Lookin my old dvb-t on pandora thread. I should have mentioned it there.

Yop,

Thanks to mcobit, find a "modprobable" module there: http://depot.doumenc...ra/dvb-as102.ko

Backup previous module (you can find it in /lib/modules/3.2.17/kernel/drivers/staging/media/as102/ ) and copy this one there.

Modprobe it ( sudo modprobe dvb-as102 ), plug your device and tell me the news!

Clop'

Yop,

Thanks to mcobit, find a "modprobable" module there: http://depot.doumenc...ra/dvb-as102.ko

Backup previous module (you can find it in /lib/modules/3.2.17/kernel/drivers/staging/media/as102/ ) and copy this one there.

Modprobe it ( sudo modprobe dvb-as102 ), plug your device and tell me the news!

Clop'

Hi, I'm sorry but the modprobe on your file gives me

FATAL: Error inserting dvb_as102 (/lib/modules/3.2.17/kernel/drivers/staging/media/as102/dvb-as102.ko): Invalid module format

I triple checked that its the new downloaded file and not the old one.

dmesg command gives me:

dvb_as102: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout

My Version of the Pandora OS (as says the boot screen) is Release 1.5 Super Saxxon beta 5a

Thx again for your work on this one Clop'

Arf...

I need to check exactly my running version, as I was able to modprobe it on mine ...

I'll check here later with the info, but it's starting to feel like you will need to wait for next firmware release :/ Sorry

If the version u were able to modprobe your module with is different from mine I could also try to switch to yours until the next firmware release. It should still be available on the openpandora-hompage, shouldn't it?

Well, I'm running Release 1.5 Super Saxxon beta 5 :)

Haven't updated to the 5a yet...

So two solutions:

* I'll update and rebuild the thing, but won't do that today as I'm testing some software on it right now

* You send me the config of your kernel and I try with that one. The config is the file /proc/config.gz on your pandora.

I have no idea if second option will work and I won't be able to test the module, but it's worth the try and you could get a new module to test in the next hours :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, nicely done! I hope it works!

If you ever go back to your previous firmware, new module has been uploaded at same URL.

Okay, wow, it worked. I could open the channels.conf in VLC and watch TV. Unfortunately it is quite unstable, even at 900MHz (other experiences in beta5 anyone?). And now I need to reflash since after restarting the pandora it was unable to read the kernel out of the blue. I'll set up everything once more (WIFI security, Codec-Pack, driver/module/firmware, packages for scan etc.) and see if the problem reoccurs. Is there any alternative to vlc for watching DVB?

Now to you guys, I thank u very much for your help and wish to keep my promise. For me it is Clop, who was very busy and started the whole thing.

I want him to decide weather I should split the bounty so that part of it goes to notaz and mcobit. I'd be happy to send it via Paypal since this would be

the easiest way for me.

Thx again to all of you and good night

Well, I'm happy it worked! and disappointed quality is not there... Anyhow, it was a fun journey for me, and make me finally set up the kernel cross-compile setup I wanted ;)

I don't know enough about DVB-T to help you more :/ I don't know if RAM could be an issue, for example? Maybe a swap file/zram thingie could help?

About the bounty, I didn't do much and result is not very good. If you really wish to keep it, I would be happy to see it split in half between Notaz and Mcobit, these two can't get thanked enough for their work.

Clop'

Back