Bounty: Lil Red Notebook

Kumaki

OK, dves...I'll pout a $25 opening bounty on someone who can get me this item - or similar - to work on a Pandora.

Ideally, I'd like as many tabs as I want, not limited to 100, of course, but whatever can be managed.

I find use for this in my medical billing and coding business.  Therefore, this will be, for me, a business application - however, as you all can see, it is versatile enough to be used for many other things.  Yes, I know, I could probably do what I am looking for with a Spreadsheet program, but I want something very specific for what I'm doing.  I want to open the program, and there it is - not open a spreadsheet program, then open a spreadsheet.

So...this is what I have in mind:

Code:
http://www.horusdevelopment.com/rednotebook.html

Its impossible to port this app... it's commercial software.

Sorry i couldn't help as we need to rewrite it something similar....but not me as i'm not a software developer.

There is something called RedNotebook on sourceforge and it's opensource.. is this a similar application?

http://rednotebook.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html
Not really.

And I knew the one I was asking for was commercial software, which is why I asked if someone could program something SIMILAR.

As I said, it is very similar to a simple spreadsheet program, but it is dedicated to JUST the stuff you're putting in there, not a spreadsheet program where you can open different Spreadsheets.  Does this make any sense?

The simpler the better in this case.

Bottom line - This is what I am looking to DO with this app...

When you are doing coding for medical insurance claims, you have diagnosis codes.

I'd like to make a tab for each letter of the alphabet to list diagnoses alphabetically, and have the corrsponding ICD9 code in there.

I also want to do numerical tabs, so I can cross-tab this stuff, and look up by code number.

There is also the implementation of ICD-10 coming out.

Basically, I am trying to find a way to have, in my pocket - a small list of my most commonly used codes, so that I don't have to lug 14 pound books from one office to another.

$25 seems too little money for someone to invest the workdays to code an application, but I could be wrong...

I get paid more an hour for just trolling these forums and making sarcastic remarks on IRC while at work. Although most of my day is spent waiting for something to compile or download or waiting for someone to download or compile something..

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, how would I know?

I have no idea.  This is why I said a starting bounty.

MY financial resources are not unlimited.  and if I pay big money for it, then it is also licensed to me, and me only, in perpetuity....and not released on the Repo where others can have for free, what I paid huge bucks for.

$25 seems too little money for someone to invest the workdays to code an application, but I could be wrong...
You're not wrong :p
Well, she pays more than you charge for your DraStic :)

Joking aside.  If I were a dev, I would feel insulted by this request. I mean come on, you don't have to put the 25 bucks and just make the request for help.  You know what I mean. I don't have to complete this post...    :p

In other words, $25 (or anything really, probably including nothing) is reasonable for an actual porting request. In order to be a porting request it's on you to first find open source software that does what you want it to do. Oh, you could ask if anyone knows if there's something like that, but that's not what's happening here.

It's already been said here but if you expect anyone to write new software for $25 then it's not going to happen.

So, then, exactly what do I need to do?

You act as if I am supposed to know this stuff and I don't.  No insult was intended.  But my financial resources are not limitless.

There is something called RedNotebook on sourceforge and it's opensource.. is this a similar application?

http://rednotebook.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html
Not really.

And I knew the one I was asking for was commercial software, which is why I asked if someone could program something SIMILAR.

As I said, it is very similar to a simple spreadsheet program, but it is dedicated to JUST the stuff you're putting in there, not a spreadsheet program where you can open different Spreadsheets.  Does this make any sense?

The simpler the better in this case.

Bottom line - This is what I am looking to DO with this app...

When you are doing coding for medical insurance claims, you have diagnosis codes.

I'd like to make a tab for each letter of the alphabet to list diagnoses alphabetically, and have the corrsponding ICD9 code in there.

I also want to do numerical tabs, so I can cross-tab this stuff, and look up by code number.

There is also the implementation of ICD-10 coming out.

Basically, I am trying to find a way to have, in my pocket - a small list of my most commonly used codes, so that I don't have to lug 14 pound books from one office to another.
I've tried out that open source RedNotebook thing, and it sounds like it would fulfil your creteria, but only just.  The main problem I've hit is that every entry on that needs to be associated with a date, and you can't have more than one entry per date, so if you're not writing a journal type thing with it, it's just a faff finding an empty date to use.  Secondly it doesn't have tabs, although it does have categories.  To search through categories though, you need to type in the category name every time (diagnosis and code in your case, I guess) - it doesn't present the one's your using in a drop-down.  And it won't automatically categorise articles under their initial letter - you'd need to categories each diagnosis manually.  Although perhaps you could rely on the free text search instead of using it like an index?

Seems to me what you want is a sort of simple GUI database.  There are plenty of open source note-taking apps out there - if you ever go through with installing Linux on your desktop PC, it's really easy to test out apps on a mainstream distro.  RedNotebook is in the Debian repos, so I just went to a terminal and entered 'sudo apt-get install rednotebook' then 'rednotebook &' and it was up and running.  That said, according to wikipedia there are no open source note-taking databases which use a tabbed index, although it doesn't like rednotebook so I guess it's out of date or just not complete.  Perhaps an address-book type database app might suit you as well?  I'd expect that to give you the lettered index, although plugging in the reverse lookup from code to diagnosis might be hard in many cases.

Well, I suppose a standard blackbook type of app would work out, as long as I could have as many tabs as I wanted, and could name the tabs as I wished.

That's all I'm really looking for.  Doesn't seem like it ought to be too difficult for a dev who knows what they are doing.  The problem is, I have honestly no idea what type of bounty ought to be offered on such a thing.  No insult intended, I honestly don't know.

At the same time, I'm not willing to pay a huge bounty on something which could then go on the Repo where everyone else gets it for free, and I paid big bucks for it...I think you could understand that feeling!

So where does that leave me?

Is there anyone interested or willing to do this?  If so, how much, and what licensing?  Because if it is going to be a lot of money, then I want exclusive licensing.

Sorry, but I'm not paying a ton of money for something that a hundred other people can then have for free.  Anyone who cold blame me for that...well, I ask you to reverse the situation and ask if YOU would do it.  If YOU would pay a large sum for something...and then see a bunch of other people get it free.

If you ask a work for hire contractor to take on this project, it could take perhaps two weeks to complete. I am not sure about the going rate for contractors in the US, but I'd guess $500 per day for someone reasonable. So a if you were to offer around $5,000 you may well get some interest. For this amount of money I don't think many people would hold anything against you if you wish to keep the program closed source and not release it on the repository.

I appreciate your preferred outcome would be that it is cheaper and made open source and put on the repository so all can enjoy, but looking at the software, I find it hard to believe anyone else would really use it. If an open source alternative is found then there might be simpler alternatives; if something can be ported in an evening of time, someone might take it on, not because they want the software, just because they enjoy working on little projects and helping out.

Good luck either way.

What objection do you have relating to opening a spreadsheet from a spreadsheet program?

Have you considered using a simple database for what you want to do, there are a couple available on the Repo. This is the obvious solution and a far superior one to your proposed methods from what I can understand.

What would you consider a reasonable hourly rate for someone to port this for you, give that rate and see how many hours people would expect to charge you.

If you give a sample of the data to be included with each record & a detailed description of how you would use the data then it might help people to help you.

What I hear is that you want the following ported to Pandora:

http://www.sethoscope.net/grepui/

This one is ready to roll, but needs to be "installed" in ~/.pygrep... (still checking if it works)

http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/pygrep

It has history (of your current searches, clean at restart), config files (to set your default search directory). But no select/copy to clipboard (although you can doubleclick and execute mousepad with your text, which needs a wrapper because it cannot jump to your specific line).

Or if someone knows xclip or gpm how to copy directly to clipboard?

Then linked to several files called a.txt, b.txt, c.txt (your filenames with optional subdirectories) and fill their content with

http://icd9.chrisendres.com/index.php?action=alpha&letter=A

which could be done with a wget and some perl glue... (this is the correct data, right?)

-edit-

It looks a bit like this (confirmed: runs on Pandora too. still some kinks):

http://picpaste.com/pygrep-oimzNcsN.jpg

So, tested and works. Size of the app is as-is just barely fits on the screen, but only for configuring, the search is non hindered.

There must be a wrapper (just a simple shell script that greps the line and opens a temporal file in mousepad with your finding, which you then can select and copy at will). Quick edit is non existant and consists of using Tunar to edit the file normally and each entry needs to be on a single line. Your "tabs" are now files (and using different configs, you search over all). This way, memory footprint is also lower (you do not need all databases in memory).

Tell me if you think this is workable, and I'll zip an example to you. IIF happy, donate to preorder fund.

Other devs: feel free to also tinker and suggest.

This looks very close to what I am looking for.

But I'd need to be able to enter new entries, and modify existing entries.

Ideally I would have three columns across instead of the two shown - one for the old ICD9 code, one for the new ICD10 code, and one for the actual name of the disease.

Now, ideally, you'd also be able to search by any of the three indices.

If all that can be done, what I just saw above could work perfectly.

And I'd be happy to donate to the preorder fund for a program like that which workss for me.  Shall we say fifty bucks if the modifications I asked for can be done?

$50.01?

Nothing will be a perfect fit.  You have to adapt/improvise...

Work with what you can, what you have, where you are ;)

Ok, I need some more details.

http://www.aapc.com/icd-10/icd-10-mapping.aspx

As you can see, the data does not have a one on one relation, I guess that is why you wanted so many tabs?

One representation of the data would be repeating the information:

The filename could be 3.txt (all ICD9 codes starting with 3) or d.txt (all deceases starting with D)

ICD-9-CM (Descriptor) ICD-10-CM (Descriptor)

357.2 (Polyneuropathy in diabetes) E0842 (Diabetes mellitus due to underlying condition with diabetic polyneuropathy)
357.2 (Polyneuropathy in diabetes) E0942 (Drug or chemical induced...)
357.2 (Polyneuropathy in diabetes) E1042 (Type 1 diabetes...)
357.2 (Polyneuropathy in diabetes) E1142 (Type 2 diabetes...)
357.2 (Polyneuropathy in diabetes) E1342 (Other specified...)
Searching for ICD9 would be "^357.2" and if you use a single space, " E1042" or " E..42" you can fetch the second one. Or "diabetes" to find them if you do not know the codes.

Another representation of the data would be 1 file for each ICD9 code (smaller files, but more numerous, 17,000 files to be exact, which will take a performance hit, and be slower to search):

The filename could be ./data/3/357.2.txt and contain only the following text:

ICD-9-CM (Descriptor)

357.2 (Polyneuropathy in diabetes)

ICD-10-CM (Descriptor)
E0842 (Diabetes mellitus due to underlying condition with diabetic polyneuropathy)
E0942 (Drug or chemical induced...)
E1042 (Type 1 diabetes...)
E1142 (Type 2 diabetes...)
E1342 (Other specified...)
The latter, although more file, are small enough to just open with mousepad and scroll to your intended entry. For the first one, vi is the only command I know that skips you to a certain line in the text. Now I love vi, but it might not be an easy editor.

Ah, and Pygrep has saveable profiles, about 12 fit on the pandora screen from the pulldown menu in the mainscreen. So you can search different directories, one for medical, one for pastry recepies, etc. Or 2 differently indexed directories, ICD9-to-ICD10 and ICD10-to-ICD9 ?

Raw data and conversion from one system to the other can be found here:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/icd/icd9cm.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/icd/icd10cm.htm

If still interested, Ill check out and convert them this weekend. (then test speed on Pandora)

Sounds like it could be workable.  The idea, then, would be to have 26 different files one for each letter of the alphabet, and do my search by name of diagnosis - since that is normally what I would have, anyway.

I'm not looking to have an EXTENSIVE listing of all the codes, that's what my 14 pound books are for.

But there are occasions where I have to go directly into a doctor's office and work there for a day, instead of my home office - primarily due to the need to have accewss to records.  and I really don't feel like lugging my book along on these trips.

So if I can get my most frequestly coded diagnoses into a nice little pocket thing like this it would be very convenient.

Some might need double entries this way, for example, under H for Heart Attack and under M for Myocardial Infarction which is of course the same thing.  But no biggie.  this could work out for what I have in  mind since, as I say, I do not need EXTENSIVE entries...just the ones I am most likely to encounter.

The few that I may not yet have in the system I'm carrying I can always Google for them.

Back