Repository

the source links are there as long as they were there in the pxml, there is a block in the pxml for licenses and source.

The backup is a known culprit and I'll change that soon.

The issue is that it does an incremental backup using tar and gzip, and that combination eats up CPU power.

I'll make a simple rsync to backup everything at home on my local server soon.

Then we shouldn't have any more forum slowdowns.

It doesn't explain why downloads behave differently though :(

I dont understand either, I thought it might have been the repo but I cant see how but then people have said its not just the repo its other places on your server that do the same thing? so I'm lost with how to fix this.

1) Maybe enable sar (system activity report) and let it run for a number of days. That way you could at least confirm/reject any cpu/mem/disk io/swap/network bottlenecks at certain times of the day. A pattern could emerge from enough sar data. It helped me a lot of times.

2) You could also check for runaway child processes, (i.e. that are taking too much cpu time, dead or looping ppid (using strace, ps etc.) iostat, vmstat etc.

3) running virtual machines and doing simultaneous disk (write) access? virtualised environments disk access easily kills i/o if using standard disk configs.

4) Is internet access on a sync or async line? async could have very low upload bandwidth (which everyone will be using during downloads) and could lead to connectivity issues.

5) Using apache? Number of http worker processes? Max connections per http server process? Script timeout periods?

6) Any file system full?

7) fragmentation? (memory, file system) a reboot once in a while helps on very very busy systems (for memory fragmentation, even if linux is famous for long uptimes.)

8) enormous open log files? Just an apache restart can do wonders sometimes

9) sync, sync, sync. flush out anything pending from mem to disk.

These are all things that can be checked (off the top of my head). If any of them rings a possibility bell.....maybe someone can check these and more, unless you've already done all of them :D

Back