Kart Type Game

banjeed

Hey peoples,

Along with many of you, my mind's been running like crazy thinking of all of the crazy things we'll be able to port to this thing. One idea that came to mind is a Mario Kart type game. I've played TuxKart many a time on my Mac (ducks head as barrage of bullets fly by), because the closest I've played to the real deal on a PC is Nexons's Kart Rider, but alas, even in Parallels, it runs too slow. I was wondering if anybody has plans to release/port a Kart type game for this thing. It seems like the perfect "launch title" for a homebrew that has net support. Thanks guys

EDIT: Merged with identical thread in the General & Development [Pandora] directory - Chip

banjeed said:
I was wondering if anybody has plans to release/port a Kart type game for this thing. It seems like the perfect "launch title" for a homebrew that has net support.
The Pandora is going to run some flavor of Linux, so Super Tux Kart could very well be ported, (I assume Super Tux Kart is the one you are playing, since it is the one with the Mac port). STK already supports local multiplayer, and is working on network play, so it's the most likely candidate. I'm not a programmer, but I'm guessing it's easier to port an existing project and add network play than it would be to write a 3D racer from scratch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree on all accounts, There maybe some other open source kart games as well.

yes, perhaps you are right. Forgive me, I'm a computer artist, not a coder and am still struggling with phpBB's way of handling things (not too purdy, but apparently very useful). For those that know of it, I'm PurpleWurld from the former Unreal Annihilation Mod and am increasingly excited to open Pandora's box. I've recently fried my GP2X and am soooo willing to dish out for a better open source product. Perhaps a Mod could move this to a different thread? Thanks

cherrycyanide said:
That would be awesome with multiplayer. DO IT TUX!
Hi!

I'm from the STK-team. I guess it is very likely, that STK can be ported to Pandora, once we have switched to irrlicht. With the current plib as the graphics engine, it seems pretty impossible. As far as I've read it on this forum, someone is working on an openGL ES 2-backend for irrlicht - great ;)

We currently have only two programmers, one mostly doing bugfixes and gui-features the other one will be busy with irrlicht for the next month(s), so everyone volunteering for working on lan/wan support is highly welcome. There is a rough lan-implementation for an older STK-version available, so you wouldn't have to start from scratch, but you can :D

I'm currently working on a blender-mod, together with auria, that will contain all characters from orange-movie, peach-movie and apricot-game + a decent choise of tracks. While we already have karts for most characters, the mod will be released together with the first irrlicht-version of stk, so don't hold your breaths :)

That's great news! Please fell free to let me know if I can help out at all. It'd be nice to work on a non-profit project for once. I'm very proficient in Maya as well as all major Adobe software. Thanks

banjeed said:
That's great news! Please fell free to let me know if I can help out at all. It'd be nice to work on a non-profit project for once. I'm very proficient in Maya as well as all major Adobe software. Thanks
Traditionally artists aren't lead by us. You can do what ever you think STK could use and we will discuss, if we want it in the main-package or not. As the addon-manager, I'm responsible to upload everything proper licensed (gpl, cc without nc clause or pd) to our addon-section on sourceforge, even if it doesn't fit into the mainpackage.

If you want jobs, there are some things needed. First thing that comes into my mind would be related to the blender-mod. We need a proper background-image featuring the bunny and franky and perhaps a nice logo for the mod and I can only 3d :) You can find the kartmodels of franky and the bunny in our forum (http://forum.freegamedev.net/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=35)
Other jobs open:
-Rigging of official karts (we want to animate them once irrlicht is implemented) - that's probably more a blender then a maya-project.
-Some people dislike our logo. Predesigns are alway welcome :)
-Low-poly models of new weapons/gadgets
-Models for our trackeditor
-Tracks (esp. tracks related to the blender movie- and game-projects) - though tracks are more a blender-job, at least the finnishing.

You will find guidelines to all 3d-tasks in our wiki on supertuxkart.sourceforge.net

conso said:
I'm currently working on a blender-mod, together with auria, that will contain all characters from orange-movie, peach-movie and apricot-game + a decent choise of tracks.
That's a fantastic idea. The Blender characters would be a great addition to the game and would suit it perfectly.
I'll be keeping an eye out for that one, good luck :D

Back