Release [REPO]RetroRadio

basicaly yes. to be fair: it can pick up all the internet radio streams mplayer is capable of streaming. that should be all shoutcast and iceast like streams.
right now retroradio will only work with playlist stream urls (because i thought it makes more sense - using playlists i can iterate over all the relays, instead of just one which might temporarily be down).
but if you like i can easily change that. with python under the hood its easy to check if the link is a playlist or not and pass the url to mplayer accordingly. that way you could add any url you like to the list and mplayer will play it (if it can).
then it would be fair to say: it plays all the streams mplayer can stream.

process interaction is very limited with zenity as the gui. seeing that ppl might use malformed links and wonder why theres no audio output i will try to parse mplayer output and pipe it to some sort of textbox.

also theres a cool set of python mplayer bindings. might look into that as well, to parse artist and trackname info (not all stations will support that tho).

turns out its way more PRE than repo :)

process interaction is very limited with zenity as the gui. seeing that ppl might use malformed links and wonder why theres no audio output i will try to parse mplayer output and pipe it to some sort of textbox. also theres a cool set of python mplayer bindings. might look into that as well, to parse artist and trackname info (not all stations will support that tho). turns out its way more PRE than repo :)
I guess you saw my post on the previous page saying that I have no audio output ? Did you get the same feedback from other members?

no, no feedback so far.

volume is not muted? are you sure your links are playlists? do they work if you invoke mplayer like in bash like this:

#: mplayer -playlist <yourlink>

the rainwave link i provided actually doesnt exist, so that one aint working.

after you clicked "tune in" did you wait a little while?filling the buffer might take some seconds.

i noticed, that calling mplayer through python seems to be slower for some reason. i dont know why. it should work, tho.

just give it some time.

also, if your connection is poor, mplayer might raise a timeout error and quit. make sure you got at least 3 bars on your wifi icon :) lol

i moved all the dev references the .pnd could possibly rely on and still the .pnd works quite well for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
no, no feedback so far.

volume is not muted? are you sure your links are playlists? do they work if you invoke mplayer like in bash like this:

#: mplayer -playlist <yourlink>

the rainwave link i provided actually doesnt exist, so that one aint working.

after you clicked "tune in" did you wait a little while?filling the buffer might take some seconds.

i noticed, that calling mplayer through python seems to be slower for some reason. i dont know why. it should work, tho.

just give it some time.

also, if your connection is poor, mplayer might raise a timeout error and quit. make sure you got at least 3 bars on your wifi icon :) lol

i moved all the dev references the .pnd could possibly rely on and still the .pnd works quite well for me.
So:

- volume is not muted

- I havent tried in terminal, but i will check after

- Yes I did wait. I am used to radiotray buffering delay, so I expected the same here. But no sound comes out. Even if I wait 1 minute.

- I have a wifi dongle with an excellent connection. Should not be the issue there. 

Did you try your PND on a pristine Pandora? Is there anyone else that could try it, then ? I would like to know if I am the only one with a problem here.

strange.
you did install the community codec pack, as mentioned by ED?

instead of implementing complex features into this poor codebase i might as well implement gstreamer or even a newer revision of radiotray giving it more general usability. calling mplayer the way i did was just a quick and dirty hack to get the job done. will see about that.

still strange it wont work for you.

I just gave it a shot using my 1GHz Pandora. Tried out Kohina, SLAY Radio, Radio PARALAX and SID Station (the first four radio stations). Only SLAY Radio didn't work, maybe they are not broadcasting?

I just gave it a shot using my 1GHz Pandora. Tried out Kohina, SLAY Radio, Radio PARALAX and SID Station (the first four radio stations). Only SLAY Radio didn't work, maybe they are not broadcasting?
slay also works for me. anyways, good to know. thanks for testing!

Kumaki, why dont you use radiotray for that purpose?
Uhhh, because I never heard of radiotray?

Also, I was just asking a technical question...to my reading it sounded like this thing COULD pick up any streamed radio signal.

My question was of a more technical nature.

changed a few things, works alright now.
its on the repo now. thanks everyone for testing and giving proper feedback :)
i hope you guys enjoy it as much as i do.

<brag>just had a great idea!</brag>

the next update will feature a "favorite station/direct stream" option.

if one of the stations in retroaudio.cfg is marked with "*" as a third option this station will be streamed immediately after the pnd was started.

Example Station,www.example.com/stream.m3u,*

that should be the fastest possible way to your beloved retro sound :)

Works fine for me. The first few runs it complained about no Internet connection, then it started. May want to increase the timeout or maybe it is just my problem.

yeh, noticed that, too.
kronos.dragonbox.de and the repo seemed to be in distress for a short moment. it's all up and running tho.
your point is valid: may increase the timeout in the next release.

thanks for your feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:
the next update, which will come soon, will feature automatic commoradio.com playlist collection.

with commoradio.com you will have another 181982 high quality 8bit/16bit tunes on your fingertips!

the playlists are being generated randomly (containing just a portion (still hundreds of tunes) of the whole collection) each time they get downloaded, so you will never listen to the same playlist twice. aint that something?

1.1.3.2 update:
obviously trying to open dragonbox.de as an internet connection checkup routine wasn't the smartest choice.
this is now done via "ping -c 1 8.8.8.8"
that's a google server and should be reliable.

super zaxxon 1.55 brought changes to the pnd_make magic. retroradio 1.1.3.2 seems to benefit a good deal from those. (streaming started a lot faster before when executed locally and directly in python compared to the .pnd and i was wondering about it the whole time. with 1.55 the .pnd is equally fast!)

automatic commoradio playlist grabbing code is ready and functional. but im partially developing this on pycharm on my macbook and i dont have it with me right now. cba to rewrite it on the pandora. will include that code and update soon.

Back