Replacement Caps Now Available

just got my new joystick cap in the post this morning from gp2x.co.uk. very quick, thanx craigx:

- it sticks out quite a bit. i suppose that is inevitable, due to the length of the metal shaft, and the fact that it is a a concave top.
- it looks good.
- it feels GREAT, I find the embossed GP2X logo helps grip, and the general large concave shape works really well.
- it has quite a large 'throw' to it, ie, because of the 'leverage' it needs to be moved quite a lot, so its more like a 'quickshot' joystick, than an 'atari' joystick.
- its still a bit 'fluffy' as opposed to the 'clunky' feel of the gp32 stick (and arcade joysticks). I prefer the 'clunky' ones, but then thats down to the actual stick mechanism, so I'm gonna have to live with it!
- it makes a lot of games MUCH easier.

Overall, a great replacement - has improved the gaming experience. Not perfect, but probably as good as we're gonna get it - it certainly makes a bad situation much much better.

I like it :)

Still waiting for mine ( ordered on the 8th, and im in the UK). Craig, any ideas when your going to send?

fragglerok posted on May 16 2006 at 10:13 AM said:
Still waiting for mine ( ordered on the 8th, and im in the UK). Craig, any ideas when your going to send?
am guessing "erm... we've got a problem, Houston" with your order, as I only ordered mine on Sat 13th, and already got it this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, just got my new cap. It's way too big and the GP2X barely helps grip and maybe even hinders it. Still, seeing as it's concave it's automatically better than the original cap.

Only problem is, the non-radial symmetry of the new cap has shown me that my joystick is beginning to rotate. Looks like a refund or replacement soon.

shrubberyrobbery posted on May 16 2006 at 10:41 AM said:
am guessing "erm... we've got a problem, Houston" with your order, as I only ordered mine on Sat 13th, and already got it this morning.
yep, its in the post now though, just got a mail from GBAX

fragglerok posted on May 16 2006 at 03:17 PM said:
shrubberyrobbery posted on May 16 2006 at 10:41 AM said:
yep, its in the post now though, just got a mail from GBAX
OK it arrived today, just tested it and i like it, it a bit higher up the Dave C cap and for me it feels a bit better becuase of this not sure about the letters on it though ;)

davey g posted on May 16 2006 at 01:13 PM said:
Yeah, just got my new cap. It's way too big and the GP2X barely helps grip and maybe even hinders it. Still, seeing as it's concave it's automatically better than the original cap.

Only problem is, the non-radial symmetry of the new cap has shown me that my joystick is beginning to rotate. Looks like a refund or replacement soon.

mine rotates too. apparantly everyone's does in IRC. it sucks. its been said many, many times before, but i gotta say it, the joystick is SHITE. was not meant for gaming at all.

thelamer posted on May 17 2006 at 11:11 PM said:
Ordered 15 days ago no conformation or cap . I even included a tip :(

send them an email, there was a problem with some orders showing as sent when they werent. thats what happened to mine. got it next day then

shrubberyrobbery posted on May 16 2006 at 08:54 AM said:
just got my new joystick cap in the post this morning from gp2x.co.uk. very quick, thanx craigx:

- it sticks out quite a bit. i suppose that is inevitable, due to the length of the metal shaft, and the fact that it is a a concave top.
- it has quite a large 'throw' to it, ie, because of the 'leverage' it needs to be moved quite a lot, so its more like a 'quickshot' joystick, than an 'atari' joystick.

I don't have the new cap. But if what you say is true the cap sitting higher up will make a large dead zone even worse causing imprecise control due to the throw distance . When I did mine I made the hole as deep as I could so the stick could sit very low and reduce the deadzone from even what the original was making it more d-pad like. You may be able (again I haven't seen it) to snip off the top of the shaft to lower it or drill out the hole a bit deeper.

DaveC posted on May 17 2006 at 08:06 PM said:
shrubberyrobbery posted on May 16 2006 at 08:54 AM said:

I don't have the new cap. But if what you say is true the cap sitting higher up will make a large dead zone even worse causing imprecise control due to the throw distance . When I did mine I made the hole as deep as I could so the stick could sit very low and reduce the deadzone from even what the original was making it more d-pad like. You may be able (again I haven't seen it) to snip off the top of the shaft to lower it or drill out the hole a bit deeper.

Take a look around, I have seen some pics at 1024x768 or so of the new cap, it is "notched" only, it isn't designed to go further down than the notch, so something will have to be done there.

I think that gem came out of the "cut off your cap shaft" business that Craig thought would fix it.

I would be happy to file down or drill my stick and/or cap to use this one, but It should have been made properly to begin with.

Any thoughts as to the 45 degree rotated stick?

Will the GP2X lettering on the stick be at a 45 Degree angle?

i just got a replacement cap and i have to say that it`s not that great, it does improve movement in games but the raised lettering on the cap makes it uncomfortable to use. It would have been alot better if it were coated in rubber,so it`s easy on the thumb. I think i`ll stick with my modified Dave.C cap

Interesting, since it will be thrown in free with Vektar I can grind those letters off somehow and figure out a way to make it sit lower, not many other options since DaveC quit making his, aside from Radek's quite a bit more intrusive D-pad, which IMHO is really good looking at least.

Well, received mine (and a few for other people too) Fantastic service from Craig and gang - ordered and they were here next day and even got a slight discount for 'bulk' - 5! LOL

Thoughts - def an improvement, good price but I think it will need a bit of getting used to. They seem to sit a lot higher up and consequently the registering of movement (mainly down in my case) seems to have a lot longer travel than the stock cap.

I would have liked to have a shorter stem if it was possible tio improve the 'feel' but maybe I'm just talking rot.

Worth a punt for a couple of quid but only a replacement joystick will cure the problems completely.

PS - I know it's been said before but the joystick on my NGPC has got to be one of the best on any handheld - it beats the PSPs' joypad hands down.

sbt posted on May 18 2006 at 10:34 PM said:
Thoughts - def an improvement, good price but I think it will need a bit of getting used to. They seem to sit a lot higher up and consequently the registering of movement (mainly down in my case) seems to have a lot longer travel than the stock cap.

I would have liked to have a shorter stem if it was possible tio improve the 'feel' but maybe I'm just talking rot.

Worth a punt for a couple of quid but only a replacement joystick will cure the problems completely.

PS - I know it's been said before but the joystick on my NGPC has got to be one of the best on any handheld - it beats the PSPs' joypad hands down.

Does it sit higher than mine?

gp2xgetgripfull.gif

Look at the side view in this pic. Is it higher than that? If so you may want to drill it out. I made mine so that it sits as low as possible to reduce throw distance. The bottom of the concave on my cap is actually lower than the stock GPH cap.

Looks about 6mm from the base of the 2X to the bottom of the outside of the rim of the the new cap if that makes sense.

DaveC posted on May 19 2006 at 05:57 AM said:
Does it sit higher than mine?

Look at the side view in this pic. Is it higher than that? If so you may want to drill it out. I made mine so that it sits as low as possible to reduce throw distance. The bottom of the concave on my cap is actually lower than the stock GPH cap.

I'd say it does sit higher but I haven't noticed any dead zones and it's miles better than the original cap.

I'm looking to purchase the new cap, only when I go on to the UK web site there's no option to buy it on it's own?

Back