Removing Gnome-Games

Pleng

Well I decided to install gnome-games, just for giggles.

A big list of text appeared which I didn't pay much attention to, until at the end I was advised that some dependency was not resolved.

Anyway, 4 new games had indeed been installed and I am able to run these from the menu.

To my horror, I have recently opened checked the amount of free space on my NAND and it is showing as just 46Mb!

Time to remove gnome-games! I typed sudo opkg remove gnome-games and am presented with the rather unhelpful message 'no packages removed'. I did the same with a verbose 2 setting and got the following equally unhelpful resonse

opkg_conf_parse_file: Loading conf file /etc/opkg/arch.conf.
opkg_conf_parse_file: Supported arch all priority (1)
opkg_conf_parse_file: Supported arch any priority (6)
opkg_conf_parse_file: Supported arch noarch priority (11)
opkg_conf_parse_file: Supported arch arm priority (16)
opkg_conf_parse_file: Supported arch armv4 priority (21)
opkg_conf_parse_file: Supported arch armv4t priority (26)
opkg_conf_parse_file: Supported arch armv5te priority (31)
opkg_conf_parse_file: Supported arch armv6 priority (36)
opkg_conf_parse_file: Supported arch armv7 priority (41)
opkg_conf_parse_file: Supported arch armv7a priority (46)
opkg_conf_parse_file: Supported arch omap3-pandora priority (51)
opkg_conf_parse_file: Loading conf file /etc/opkg/base-feed.conf.
opkg_conf_parse_file: Loading conf file /etc/opkg/debug-feed.conf.
opkg_conf_parse_file: Loading conf file /etc/opkg/gstreamer-feed.conf.
opkg_conf_parse_file: Loading conf file /etc/opkg/noarch-feed.conf.
opkg_conf_parse_file: Loading conf file /etc/opkg/omap3-pandora-feed.conf.
opkg_conf_parse_file: Loading conf file /etc/opkg/opkg.conf.
opkg_conf_parse_file: Loading conf file /etc/opkg/perl-feed.conf.
opkg_conf_parse_file: Loading conf file /etc/opkg/python-feed.conf.
pkg_hash_load_status_files:
pkg_info_preinstall_check: Updating file owner list.
No packages removed.

Any ideas other than a reflash?

You probably didn't do an "opkg update" before installing gnome-games, that's why it couldn't install them all.

To remove :
There is an option in opkg to remove all dependencies together with the app you are removing.
Run "opkg -help" (or just "opkg" to show a list of the options. I don't have the pandora with me, so I can't check)
Then see what packages are installed (most likely gnome-games is not on your system but some of its dependencies are) you can use the angstrom distro package browser to check for correct names. Remove those packages and make sure you use the option to remove the dependencies with it.
"gnome-games" is just an almost empty package with a lot of dependencies (every game is a package) ...

Chero.

thanks, I'll have a go at that a bit later. I did do an update before trying to install, by the way :)

hmm I uninstalled and now my free space has gone DOWN by another 10Mb :( What on earth can be going on?

Did you find out what happened? I'm using the Firefox PND as of this morning, but the profile data all appears to be in the SD card's appdata so I don't think that's causing the space leak.

there's nothing in trash as far as I can see.

Does Pandora have an equivalent of lost+found? If so where is that located?

Pleng said:
there's nothing in trash as far as I can see.

Does Pandora have an equivalent of lost+found? If so where is that located?
lost+found is always in the root of a partition, e.g. for the NAND it would be in /

But I think that it's opkg keeping old packages around; check for ipk files in e.g. /var/opkg or a similar location.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a similar discussion:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54069-when-deleting-a-file-from-sd-or-usb-file-is-moved-to-the-nand/

It should be in .local/share/Trash then.

dflemstr said:
lost+found is always in the root of a partition, e.g. for the NAND it would be in /

But I think that it's opkg keeping old packages around; check for ipk files in e.g. /var/opkg or a similar location.

there is no opkg directory in /var and I really have no idea what might be regarded as a similar location, sorry!

mali said:
Here is a similar discussion:
http://www.gp32x.de...ed-to-the-nand/

It should be in .local/share/Trash then.

no, it's not in Trash

Pleng said:
there is no opkg directory in /var and I really have no idea what might be regarded as a similar location, sorry!
check /usr/lib/opkg

Hey Stan. Only the directories 'alternatives', 'info' and 'lists' and the file 'status' in /usr/lib/opkg. all the directories have in them are some plain text files, nothing big.

cd /usr/lib/opkg
du -h
should be about 30MB or so.
I'm not sure where else it might be storing files. Have you checked /tmp? It should be a tmpfs, but maybe something isn't right.

yea /usr/lib/opkg is 24M (thanks for that command btw, very handy!)
/tmp is 444k

:(

Horrar for PNDs. Once I've finally got this resolved I'll NEVER install anything with opkg again! If there's not a PND for it, I don't need it!

OK So looks like it's nothing to do with gnome-games after all!

I did a du -h in the root directory and looked for anything suspicious. It appears that there was 32Mb of Arora cache files. I still only have about 70 megs free though. How much do other people have?

I also noticed that ./home/pleng/.mozilla/firefox is 27Megs in size. Yet if I do an ls -h in my home directory, .mozilla doesn't appear. Is this the PND mapping the filesystem to its appdata directory, or are those files actually residing on my NAND.

Pleng said:
OK So looks like it's nothing to do with gnome-games after all!

I did a du -h in the root directory and looked for anything suspicious. It appears that there was 32Mb of Arora cache files. I still only have about 70 megs free though. How much do other people have?

I also noticed that ./home/pleng/.mozilla/firefox is 27Megs in size. Yet if I do an ls -h in my home directory, .mozilla doesn't appear. Is this the PND mapping the filesystem to its appdata directory, or are those files actually residing on my NAND.

No, that's in your filesystem. The PND system doesn't have the ability to overlay just anywhere like that. Besides, ED said when he released fennec that it used your home directory on the NAND. I've been holding off using fennec until he makes a version of the PND that uses the appdata directory instead of ~.

-God Ginrai

the thing is firefox DOES also have all those files in the appdata directory too. Are they just being duplicated :s

Pleng said:
the thing is firefox DOES also have all those files in the appdata directory too. Are they just being duplicated :s

o_O That's strange.

-God Ginrai

Yup. And I can't find any information on who packaged up Firefox, it just appeared on the appstore this morning.

Could they possibly be symlinks to the directories in appdata? Either way they still should show up if I do an ls -a, right?

Back