Remote Desktop On Cell Phone

Fyvve

Website
Visit site
I am thinking about getting a smart phone with windows mobile 6 on it. I am with AT&T so probably the HTC 8925/tilt/tytnII. I asked in several other forums but no one has even responded. Thought i would give this a try before i give up.

I have to use remote desktop connection for work. I connect using the ip address of my work computer which starts with 172.16.x.x. But first i have to use a vpn connection. If i don't first connect with the vpn, RD will not work with that ip address.

With all that in mind, my question is, can i use a HTC tilt to remote desktop into my work computer? My it department wont be any help so i am going to have to do this on my own.

Fyvve said:
I am thinking about getting a smart phone with windows mobile 6 on it. I am with AT&T so probably the HTC 8925/tilt/tytnII. I asked in several other forums but no one has even responded. Thought i would give this a try before i give up.

I have to use remote desktop connection for work. I connect using the ip address of my work computer which starts with 172.16.x.x. But first i have to use a vpn connection. If i don't first connect with the vpn, RD will not work with that ip address.

With all that in mind, my question is, can i use a HTC tilt to remote desktop into my work computer? My it department wont be any help so i am going to have to do this on my own.
Pretty unlikely unless you can run your VPN client software on the phone. The problem is you aren't able to RD to the desktop without the VPN as you've discovered above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remote desktop is supported via Terminal services client usually on WM, but VPN is another matter entirely.

So i can't just use a generic vpn client on the pocket pc? I use a cisco client on my home pc to do the vpn part. Well thats not good news. I wonder if i could remote desktop into my home PC and then use that to VPN and remote desktop to my work PC. Thats a little complicated and probably very slow but it might be worth it.

Other than that i guess my only option is to stick with a laptop? Any other suggestions?

I would just disconnect. Maybe even pull the plug out.. I use VPN on my laptop with a Vodafone smart card and its infuriatingly slow and craps out all the time. Might be because my server farm is based in Sydney and I'm in Wellington - I can't imagine ever using a smart phone; I reckon it would be a million times worse.

lizard808uk said:
I would just disconnect. Maybe even pull the plug out.. I use VPN on my laptop with a Vodafone smart card and its infuriatingly slow and craps out all the time. Might be because my server farm is based in Sydney and I'm in Wellington - I can't imagine ever using a smart phone; I reckon it would be a million times worse.
huh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back