Pda With Wifi, Vpn And Rdp

Javacat

Founder of the WarmFluffyUK fan club
Website
Visit site
I'm going back to uni next week, but will be keeping my job running the network for a company and providing general IT support. I will have quite a lot of 1 - 2 hour gaps, when I will be stuck at uni with nothing to do. They will be giving me a company phone, so that they can phone me with any problems during this time. The university now have wifi access available all around the campus.
To try and make it a bit easier I am thinking of getting some sort of palm/pda thing and using the wifi access to VPN into our network and to then use RDP to control the server, or any other computers having problems.

To VPN into the network I have two possibilities:
  1. Connect to our SonicWALL VPN device using SonicWALL's Pocket Global VPN Client (although this requeries Windows Mobile 2003).
  2. Connecting to another VPN device using the standerd IPSEC protocol, although this isn't as secure and as such is only turned on when required.
With this in mind, can anybody recommend a cheapish pda with the following features:
  • Wifi.
  • Touch screen.
  • Support for either of the VPN solutions mentioned above (I'd prefer to use the SonicWALL software).
  • Support for using Microsofts RDP protocol, for controlling the server. (or if this isn't available I can use something like RealVNC).
I'd also like (but not required):
  • A full pull out qwerty keyboard
  • Microsoft Outlook (for downloading my calander and emails from work)
  • Slot for an SD card
  • The ability to run ScummVM :p

I don't want to use it as a phone, but if it has support to put a phone SIM in I wouldn't complain (one less thing to carry around).

Back