Reminiscence

smyp

Still Fresh
I tried to port one of my favourite games: Flashback using the REminiscence engine (http://cyxdown.free.fr/reminiscence/).

This is my first compilation of anything for the Wiz, so don't expect a perfect port and correct me if I did something wrong. I saw that there was already a port for the older gp2x. As the Wiz is my first gp2x device, I know nothing about that port. Maybe the person who did it will also do a Wiz port, but as there was no source code I tried to do it myself.

I still have some issues with sound. Also I did only very little testing. Maybe the game crashes in the third level or other issues will show up.

You can download it here:
http://www.morbidcornflakes.ch/cargo/reminiscence.tar.gz

Please provide feedback about your experience with the game.

[Updated]
0.1: Implemented volume change via the volume buttons.
0.2: Use full D-pad. Adjust music volume too.

Hi smyp! Flashback is on of my all time favourite, too. Nice port. Controls and sound are OK. I don't have the MOD files but the sound effects work fine.
The speed is a little bit slow but I noticed no crashes so far.

Regards,
Stephan

Hi smyp! Flashback is on of my all time favourite, too. Nice port. Controls and sound are OK. I don't have the MOD files but the sound effects work fine.
The speed is a little bit slow but I noticed no crashes so far.

Regards,
Stephan
I can report the same thing as sbock :). Thanks for the port!!!

Regards

André

Last edited by a moderator:
Runs smooth,
Sound and music is clear, butr there's one problem, When turning up/down volume, it is only for the ingame sound
The music stays at the same level.

This is more a Wiz problem, the game is a bit more difficult, cause of the way the D-Pad on the wiz works, you can't press "left, then up", to run and jump
Is the D-pad only 4way?, cause pressing left/up doesn't do much and it should be walk/run - jump.

Runs smooth,
Sound and music is clear, butr there's one problem, When turning up/down volume, it is only for the ingame sound

This is more a Wiz problem, the game is a bit more difficult, cause of the way the D-Pad on the wiz works, you can't press "left, then up", to run and jump
Is the D-pad only 4way?, cause pressing left/up doesn't do much and it should be walk/run - jump.
Music works for you? I just have sound effects but I only copied everything in the data directory of the cd over to the data directory of REminiscence.

Regards

André

Yes, you have to download a seperate mod music pack for the game.
The mod music pack is ripped from the Amiga version of the game.

You can download the mod music pack here:
exotica.org.uk
If the download of this mod music pack is not within the forum rulez, plz, let me know or remove it

Unpack the .LHA with winzip or winrar and place in your data map ".\data\*.*" with the rest of the flashback files.

Runs smooth,

Thanks for the report. I will look into music volume this evening. As for the controls, the D-pad is 8-way, as far as I understand. When porting, I adopted the original keyboard controls, which are 4-way. I will also have a look into this.

"]mod[/URL] music pack for the game.
The mod music pack is ripped from the Amiga version of the game.

You can download the mod music pack here:
exotica.org.uk
If the download of this mod music pack is not within the forum rulez, plz, let me know or remove it

Unpack the .LHA with winzip or winrar and place in your data map ".\data\*.*" with the rest of the flashback files.
Nice, music works now :). Thanks!

Regards

André

Runs smooth,

Thanks for the report. I will look into music volume this evening. As for the controls, the D-pad is 8-way, as far as I understand. When porting, I adopted the original keyboard controls, which are 4-way. I will also have a look into this.
Ok, wasn't sure if it was wiz are software, so it seems software :)
Can't wait till an udate is out ;), thanks for porting this one smyp \0/

Ok. Full 8-way D-pad support and experimental music volume scaling is implemented. The files are updated. Btw. how is the wiz archive organized? Will someone update the files there with the files I submit here? Or can (and should) I do that myself?

Forgive my ignorance, but why is this necessary?

I'm not huge into Flashback but I was a fan of the Genesis version way back when, is the PC version so much different to warrant its own interpreter? Couldn't you just play the Genesis ROM with PicoDrive?

Forgive my ignorance, but why is this necessary?

I'm not huge into Flashback but I was a fan of the Genesis version way back when, is the PC version so much different to warrant its own interpreter? Couldn't you just play the Genesis ROM with PicoDrive?
For the same reason as there is scummvm, why scummvm if you can use a dos emulator or just use a virtual machine, place dos on it and run the games.

from the scummvm page:
ScummVM is a program which allows you to run certain classic graphical point-and-click adventure games, provided you already have their data files. The clever part about this: ScummVM just replaces the executables shipped with the games, allowing you to play them on systems for which they were never designed!

Same for Flashback, it's just that ScummVM games and Flashback each use an engine that is very portable over whatever system you can program on and has the power to do so. No need to emulate the whole system to get it running, and as far as i know you can't write an interpreter for any game out there.

Fair enough, but that doesn't quite answer my question.

Perhaps this is a better example, would you rather play Doom through Prboom or play through PocketSNES... The choice should be obvious because the PC version is superior in every way. It's not an issue of running a single DOS game through one emulator verses another, I'm talking about running different versions of the same game.

Does the PC version of Flashback offer any significant differences or advantages over its Genesis counterpart?

Back