Caanoo-Reminiscence : Flashback Clone For Caanoo V0.1.10

zx-81

Certified Guru
Website
zx81.zx81.free.fr
caanoo-reminiscence.jpg

Hi All,

REminiscence is a re-implementation of the engine used in the game Flashback
made by Delphine Software and released in 1992.

It has been written by Gregory Montoir, see http://cyxdown.free.fr/reminiscence/

Here is port on Caanoo of REminiscence 0.1.9 (with sound patch of the Wiz version from Smyp).

You need orignal files from Flashback to play this game.

You must then copy all copyrighted files (FB_TXT.FNT, GLOBAL.FIB etc ..) in
<prefix>/game/reminiscence/data folder.

reminiscence on my blog

Enjoy,

Zx.

The game seems to work really well, and the extended movies in the DOS version are really cool. I always played the game on either the Genesis or the SNES.

I did find the Amiga music files, and they work with this port, but they don't actually match up with the extended movies in the DOS version and there seems to be no music in certain situations (like picking up items).

Is there any way to get the original Midi music from the DOS version to play? When I remove the Amiga music files there simply isn't any music.

Also, the sound effects seem to play really fast, like they're sped up a bit. Its very noticeable. Actually, the Amiga music is playing too fast as well, so that's probably why it doesn't match up with the movies. Any chance that this is an easy fix? Maybe its trying to play everything at a higher sample rate by just speeding it up?

Other than these audio issues, the game works beautifully. I really like having save and load on the triggers. Assuming I don't accidentally mash the load button some time, it will really come in handy. ;)

Just wondering, are there any plans to fix the sound? As mentioned before, all of the sound and music is playing too fast. That's really the only problem with the game as far as I can tell.

Support for the original midi music would be very nice as well. =)

Sorry, but i didn't like how SDL_SoftStretch() function resize the image(simple nearest neighbor). So, i rebuild sources with a SDL_BlitSurface() function instead to save pixel aspect(no resize, just blit). It doesn't fix any of sound issues, because based on current public version. Simply replace executable file with file from message attach.
View attachment 495

Aion said:
Sorry, but i didn't like how SDL_SoftStretch() function resize the image(simple nearest neighbor). So, i rebuild sources with a SDL_BlitSurface() function instead to save pixel aspect(no resize, just blit). It doesn't fix any of sound issues, because based on current public version. Simply replace executable file with file from message attach.
View attachment 495

Hey that looks nice. Thanks!

Do you have any ideas as to what would cause the sound speed issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
ozzuneoj said:
Hey that looks nice. Thanks!

Do you have any ideas as to what would cause the sound speed issue?
Sorry, but have no idea. I didn't dug much into the sources.
Anyway, here is another attempt to make image slightly better(smooth scaling. used zoomSurface() from SDL_Gfx library). It's very lame and requires max overclocking(750MHz), but at least it works. Somehow...
View attachment 496

Aion said:
View attachment 495

Don't be sorry :D, that's always good to have someone who improve such homebrew. But please don't forget to publish the source code (or a patch file), even if you've done minor change (GPL v2), it might help others :).

zx-81 said:
Don't be sorry :D , that's always good to have someone who improve such homebrew. But please don't forget to publish the source code (or a patch file), even if you've done minor change (GPL v2), it might help others :) .
Oh. Ok, but i've made it quick and changes are so dirty and so lame... This is embarrassing me as a programmer :)
Especially in init part. Also zoomSurface() do auto surface conversion from 16-bit to 32-bit! And then after resize, SDL_BlitSurface() do the second one from 32-bit to 16-bit. It's slow as hell. And i don't know how to improve it quickly. Only by overclocking.
GPL v2 sometimes such a pain in the... :) Here are the sources.

View attachment 497

thanks :). About the sound issue, i had to use 22k rate instead of 44k (it's the same in the wiz version) or the music wasn't well played properly. I guess that there is still something wrong there, i will have a look on this code when i will have a bit of spare time.

zx-81 said:
thanks :) . About the sound issue, i had to use 22k rate instead of 44k (it's the same in the wiz version) or the music wasn't well played properly. I guess that there is still something wrong there, i will have a look on this code when i will have a bit of spare time.

I figured it was something related to the sample rate being higher than normal.

I looked at the source code a little bit but I just don't have enough programming experience (and no experience at all with SDL) to understand what I'm looking at.

Thank you for taking the time to look into this though. Its a truly awesome game, and the sound effects and music add a lot to the experience. =)

Back