Received It! Can't Get It To Work....

I've let the pandora charge for the whole night and reflashed it using the above-mentioned thread, now my pandora has been on for 15 minutes and it's still working.
So, massive thanks to you EvilDragon for your kind help!!
I'd suggest 2 things:
- maybe the team shouldn't send the pandora with the battery inserted
- it could be a good thing to explain the proper steps and what to do if it refuses to work.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Back to my pandora now, I'm hoping it's definitely fixed! woop woop!

I guess I spoke too fast....
It crashed again, no light, nothing, couldn't turn it on with or without the battery, then after 30 minutes it came back to life but wouldn't boot, so I reflashed it (again), all went well. Then once I logged in, I noticed the battery gauge was saying 0%, which is weird because the battery was charged earlier. Now it's frozen, the mouse won't move, etc. before it froze, the battery light was flashing red. Any clue? Is there a hope here?
thanks!

The most common problem for new users with the Nokia series (770, N800, N810, N900) is that, even though the user manual says that the first thing you do is plug it into the charger, then wait until its charged, _then_ turn it on - people still just turn it on straight out of the box, and it goes dead on them.

So: First thing you do: Plug it in. Then, if you're really impatient, at least let it charge for 30 minutes before you switch it on. This is the generic rule for all these devices.

-Tor

If the charger says it's 0% suddenly, it sounds like the battery is not properly inserted.
Remove the battery, remove AC cable, wait for a minute, put battery in (like it is described in the manual), connect the AC Adaptor, let it charge for a few hours and wait.

mali said:
^ It would be best to charge them for a while before shipping, IMO.

Yeah, but that adds a whopping three hours of charging before we can ship. Got that much time? ;)

Last edited:
ED. You could put a sticker on the bubble-wrap containing the Pandora saying something like "Important: plug unit into mains before first use!" It doesn't need to be anything fancy.

Also, how many are you guys planning to ship out today?

Tor said:
The most common problem for new users with the Nokia series (770, N800, N810, N900) is that, even though the user manual says that the first thing you do is plug it into the charger, then wait until its charged, _then_ turn it on - people still just turn it on straight out of the box, and it goes dead on them.

So: First thing you do: Plug it in. Then, if you're really impatient, at least let it charge for 30 minutes before you switch it on. This is the generic rule for all these devices.

-Tor

No offence but my pandora was charging all night....
Anyway, I'll let it run tonight to see how it goes and I'll let you know.
Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
The firmware issue = fixed, because its going to get flashed in the faktory now
the akku issue = probatly fixed, if whe put the charger in before whe pull it on
the screen issue = fixed because its going to get testet in the faktory
the wifi dito, testet in the faktory..
the case should testet too bevore sending the pandora..

are ther some issues i dont read??

im a bit affraid when i get my pandora, but i hope until than there are now issues any more

Maybe some piece of paper inserted under lid works better (cheap and reliable). There must be some "first steps": 1/ check Pandora body, 2/ close jaw, 3/read manual, 2/ insert battery (after read manual!), 3/ (read manual first! then) plug charger, 4/wait few hours, 5/ enjoy
--
Or maybe not. Everybody knows: "read manual first!". :)

peca said:
Maybe some piece of paper inserted under lid works better (cheap and reliable). There must be some "first steps": 1/ check Pandora body, 2/ close jaw, 3/read manual, 2/ insert battery (after read manual!), 3/ (read manual first! then) plug charger, 4/wait few hours, 5/ enjoy
--
Or maybe not. Everybody knows: "read manual first!". :)

I actually did read the manual! And believe me I usually never do it. I was even excited by the manual when I opened the box :)
I think Evil Dragon is right and the connection of the battery is sometime not made properly. I got it to work after yet another reflash and so far so good, the battery seems alright.

Might try to put some kind of padding in the battery door to make sure it's pressing on the contacts better, and not moving around at all. Maybe cut and fold some paper and tape it in or something, or there's also that kinda padded tape.

Na, it's not just the battery here, it just crashes and then impossible to restart. I haven't got any light, with the battery and psu or even just with the psu.
I guess I'll just have to return it...

Murff said:
Na, it's not just the battery here, it just crashes and then impossible to restart. I haven't got any light, with the battery and psu or even just with the psu.
I guess I'll just have to return it...

Doesn't work with the PSU?
Could you try it without a battery inserted either using a normal PSP AC Adaptor (if you have one) or using a Mini-USB Cable (you can power it with that, too).

I rather suspect a broken battery than Pandora... and it would be cheaper and faster sending a new PSU + Battery instead of returning the Pandora ;)

Last edited:
- After a while, I put the battery back, green light turns on, then I plug the psu, red light turns on. After the boot, It says at the bottom right 91% - 00:00 (not the clock, what I'm guessing is the time left available on the battery?)
- I unplug, shutdown, remove battery, plug usb-mini only, it doesn't turn on. I plug psu only, it doesn't turn on.
- i put the battery back, it turns on and if I plug the psu or usb-mini it shows the red light.
- then if I remove the battery while on, the pandora restarts and works with the psu and no battery. after the boot, somehow it says the battery is 81% although it's not in there and it says 00:00. It worked for a little while, long enough for me to install the codec pack and go on the internet then crashed.

So I left it like that for the whole night, whithout the battery and without the psu. Now this morning it wont turn on with battery+psu, battery+usb mini, battery only, psu only or usb-mini only.
:huh:

update: me again! it was plugged in, on my desk, no lights, nothing, i left it plugged in and removed the battery and it just turned on :blink: I'll see if it stays on. Could the system freak out because of a faulty battery and then take hours to recover???

EvilDragon said:
mali said:

Yeah, but that adds a whopping three hours of charging before we can ship. Got that much time? ;)

Haven't you?

It seems to me that 3/4 of your customer base don't even know when assembly of their units will start - or even when the cases will be ordered. After 18 months i'd have thought 3 hours of delay to ensure the Pandoras actually work on receipt would be time well spent. Don't you?

If you can't spare 3 hours to charge them well, how about 2 hours? 1 hour? Is 1 hour more than you can spare?

Monk said:
EvilDragon said:
mali said:

Haven't you?

It seems to me that 3/4 of your customer base don't even know when assembly of their units will start - or even when the cases will be ordered. After 18 months i'd have thought 3 hours of delay to ensure the Pandoras actually work on receipt would be time well spent. Don't you?

If you can't spare 3 hours to charge them well, how about 2 hours? 1 hour? Is 1 hour more than you can spare?

I might be wrong -it's not like I'm an expert...- but I've got the feeling it's probably safer to send an empty battery rather than a half-charged one. Transportation can be tough!!
I might be wrong though....

Back