Really Frustrated With A Number Of Issues (newbie) Need Help

funkenstein

Still Fresh
Hi all I am a newbie to the GP2X. I had been looking in to getting a f100 model for quite a while but then the f200 was released so I purchased that. I also bought the tv out cable plus the cradle. I have tried the tv out cable a number of times but I'm left with blank screens PLEASE can somebody help me with this, its one of the reasons I bought the console in the first place.
Secondly I cannot get NeoGeo or Mame games to run. I have followed all of the instructions on how to run them but still to no avail.
Thirdly the joypad is unworkable with fighting games. I have seen the video on Youtube of the joypad mod which involves placing one round joypad button on the D-pad. Please can someone tell me what model of directional button this is.

I really am just very frustrated with the whole bloody thing. I was really looking forward to exploiting the system to its full potential but its such a struggle to try and get things done with it (and I'm no fool when it comes to computers). You can't even change skins on it without difficulty. It's ridiculous.
The ability to play MAME/NeoGeo fighting games on my tv is one of the main reasons I bought the unit in the first place. So PLEEEEASE can someone offer me some advice or guide me in the right direction. I know what the system is capable and I don't want to have to give up on it....Cheers guys I hope to hear from you soon

Hi all I am a newbie to the GP2X.
First of all, Hi and Welcome! =)

I had been looking in to getting a f100 model for quite a while but then the f200 was released so I purchased that. I also bought the tv out cable plus the cradle. I have tried the tv out cable a number of times but I'm left with blank screens PLEASE can somebody help me with this, its one of the reasons I bought the console in the first place.
Ok well the first thing I see in common here are the cables you are using, that is if you tried with both the cradle and the TV out cable thingy...

How long is the Svideo cable?
Also, what happens to the GP2X's screen when you put it in TV mode?
Can you setup a sound to be played easily from the GP2X to see if sound is going through to your TV?

Those are simple things you can try to help you figure what's going on. First time I tried to run it on TV, I was using a Svideo cable that was way too long and that's why it didn't work.

I also hear there are compatibility issues with the F200 and the cradle, but no details... since I have both I should get off my lazy ass and go test it out =P

Secondly I cannot get NeoGeo or Mame games to run. I have followed all of the instructions on how to run them but still to no avail.
I have no XP with neogeo. Mame needs a specific (obsolete) romset version to work (ie.: you need ver 0.34 roms) if you haven't already, check out the Wiki (sorry if you did!)

Also make sure you have the latest version which is 5.1

Thirdly the joypad is unworkable with fighting games. I have seen the video on Youtube of the joypad mod which involves placing one round joypad button on the D-pad. Please can someone tell me what model of directional button this is.
Welcome to GPH's world of disappointment =P The Dpad used in the vids is a PSP replacement dpad, or so I'm told...

I really am just very frustrated with the whole bloody thing. I was really looking forward to exploiting the system to its full potential but its such a struggle to try and get things done with it (and I'm no fool when it comes to computers). You can't even change skins on it without difficulty. It's ridiculous.
The ability to play MAME/NeoGeo fighting games on my tv is one of the main reasons I bought the unit in the first place. So PLEEEEASE can someone offer me some advice or guide me in the right direction. I know what the system is capable and I don't want to have to give up on it....Cheers guys I hope to hear from you soon

I feel your pain! Please keep in mind that GPH doesn't usually fix stuff, they stupidly break it and then the community's devs and hackers fix it for the rest of us =P Keeping this in mind, the device has only been out for a month, you'll have to be patient for the F200 to be as well tested and documented as the F100s

I'd suggest getting your tv out working first, the community will help you figure it out, I would even say that having the '2X mess up on you half the time and having to fix it is half the fun =P You get more intimate with the machine this way hehehe

Seriously though, don't despair, just give it some time... you should've seen when the first F100 came out, it was way worst than this =)

OK Back from some testing!

TV out works fine from within the cradle with a 6 foot SVideo cable.

Mame 5.1 works fine too. I tested 1943 and converted it to 0.34 according to the wiki's howto.

but now I must scream in horror NO GRADIUS III IN 0.34!!! AAAAAAAAH!!! If I could emulate just one game, that'd be the one. It was introduced in 0.36 =( Excuse me while I go cry in a dark corner like an emo kid.

ok, I tried neobomberman too, that didn't work... sticking to the list of working Roms on the wiki sounds like a good idea.... but no gradius 3??? I'm depressed.

as for the TV out, I am missing a couple of lines up, down, and right o_O Mind you, I am sending the signal to my TV-IN USB adapter, my friend is using the TV to play xbox =P

but at least I can confirm the cradle works fine with F200, as far as TV out is concerned.

I couldn't get any of my joysticks to work (tested PS2 controller with USB adapter, logitech wingman extreme and hammerheadFX)

Then again, maybe I just don't know how to set it up.

@xcen: you can play neobomberman on gngeo2x fullspeed and gradius might be able to be emulated with cps2 or some other system emulator.

@funkenstein: the pad for the dpad mod is an n-gage qd pad. They go for around 5 euros on ebay. No need to rip apart a psp, that's false information.

Nachician said:
So, the TV-out cable only works with the cradle? I'm confused...
From what I've read, there are two cable options.
  1. One cable plugs into the EXT port and has A/V out cables.
  2. One uses the cradle and regulary A/V cables.
You cannot use the cradle with the first option.

Last edited by a moderator:
@eric: correct. You can plug your gp2x directly into the tv-set using a special cable, or you can purchase a cradle, plug it into your tv-set with normal cables and then also connect stuff to usb. For example 4 gamepads and then game away with your buddies.

Sorry to add to the thread again but I don't feel the explanations are clear =)

2 options:

TV-Out cable adapter
- Small bundle of wires that plugs directly into the EXT port.
- Has FEMALE connectors for Svideo and RCA audio (meaning you STILL have to use AV Cables).

Cradle
- The '2X sits on it and connects to it through the EXT port
- One way of seeing it is "just like the TV Out cable, but with a USB hub. that connects to the USB "in" (USB Host) chip of the '2X"...
- Has FEMALE connectors built into it's frame (still need the same AV cables), as well as 4 USB "in" ports (to connect joysticks and whatnot).
- It is also prettier =P.

So, since they both use the EXT port, they cannot be used at the same time, but that would just be weird to even think about doing that =P

M2C

xnopasaranx said:
@funkenstein: the pad for the dpad mod is an n-gage qd pad. They go for around 5 euros on ebay. No need to rip apart a psp, that's false information.
No, actually I think it is a simple round plastic PSP dpad cover. Excuse me if I am mistaken, but you are thinking of the older mods done on the F100s that involved an n-gage pad and a custom PCB. Way, way more involved and the PCBs are no longer offered.

xcen said:
Sorry to add to the thread again but I don't feel the explanations are clear =)
2 options:

TV-Out cable adapter
- Small bundle of wires that plugs directly into the EXT port.
- Has FEMALE connectors for Svideo and RCA audio (meaning you STILL have to use AV Cables).

sounds like you have the "older" short TV out cable? i had the same and i guess the cable was faulty so i bought the longer newer 3m tv out cable. that works fine. it also has a "male" s video connector

btw where did you order your tv out cable from?

Back