Real Cost Of Pandora-Like Mobo

chame

Raspberry Pi
An ARM Linux box for $25. Take a byte!

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

DSCF1808.jpg

FAQs (updated!)When will the device be available to purchase?
We anticipate the device will be available to the general public later in 2011 – at the moment that looks like November.

How much will it cost?
We hope to be selling the Model A for $25 and the Model B for $35.

Can I join the mailing list?
You certainly can. Head to the home page, and you’ll see a form at the top right you can fill in.

Are you accepting pre-orders?
No. We are adequately funded, and don’t want to take your money until we have finished hardware.

How do I connect a mouse and keyboard?
Mice, keyboards, network adapters and external storage will all connect via a USB hub.

What display can I use?
There is composite and HDMI out on the board, so you can hook it up to a digital or analogue television or to a DVI monitor.

What about audio?
There’s a standard 3.5mm jack, or you can use HDMI. You can add any supported USB microphone via a hub.

Does the device support networking? Is there Wi-Fi?
The Model B version of the device includes 10/100 wired Ethernet. There is no Ethernet on the Model A version (which we expect to be taken up mostly by the education market), but Wi-Fi will be available via a standard USB dongle.

What are the power requirements?
The device is powered by an external AC adapter, and the Model A consumes around 1W at full load.

Will there be a buy-one-give-one program?
Yes. We plan to implement a program of this sort, but you can also just buy one if you prefer.

Will the device be available internationally, or just in the UK?
We intend to ship worldwide from launch. We may establish a distribution network in due course.

Will there be a minimum order quantity?
The minimum order quantity will be one unit.

Is there power over USB?
No. Raspberry Pi is a USB host, not a USB device, and you can’t draw power from the uplink port of a hub.

Is there a GPU binary?
Yes. The GPU binary also contains the first stage bootloader.

What SoC are you using?
The SoC is a Broadcom BCM2835.

Can I run power Raspberry Pi from batteries as well as from a wall socket?
Yes. The device should run well off 4xAA cells.

What Linux distros will be supported at launch?
Ubuntu, Debian and hopefully Fedora and ArchLinux will be supported from the start. We hope to see support from other distros later. We will be selling SD cards with the distros preloaded.

Is there a case?
Not for the initial version, but there will be a (removable, in case you want to do some soldering) case available later.

The title of this post "Real Cost Of Pandora-Like Mobo" is absolute nonsense. This board isn't that similar to the Pandora, For one thing, the processor is a lot slower. Also there is no wifi/bt, keyboard, nubs, etc.

Another attempt at making the project look bad. Jeez, people, don't you have something worthwhile to do?

kuru said:
Another attempt at making the project look bad. Jeez, people, don't you have something worthwhile to do?

Yeah, it's not like they need much help :p

Nonsense topic title aside, the Pi does sound really interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is well worth pointing out that the Raspberry Pi device is, as far as I'm aware, a non-profit scheme, aimed primarily at the education sector - though there will be a buy-one-donate-one scheme later in the year. That's a big reason for no pre-orders, as well.

Remembering this fact puts the text of the parent post in an entirely different light.

Oh, and: NO NUBS :eek:

Further: no lcd, no case, keyboard, leds .. etc etc.

And: they barely have their alpha boards out.
It may take another couple months before we even see the first unit.

Still: I'll probably get one for kicks ;)

Well, since I'm in the process of handling the Pandora production in Germany, I know all prices.

The OMAP (SoC of the Pandora) alone costs more than 25 USD...

just loo, at beagleboard (not the xm version) price (use same Soc as the Pandora) but add LCD, WIFI, Box, Joypad...

Back