Release Ready-To-Flash Firmware-Image

Maybe you two could agree on setting up an unstable repo as fast as possible and then decide if you want to branch into a stable repo or release (diff-based?) hotfix-packages.

conso said:
Maybe you two could agree on setting up an unstable repo as fast as possible and then decide if you want to branch into a stable repo or release (diff-based?) hotfix-packages.

That repo is basically already there, but it needs to be tested first.

Last edited:
I rushed too many things out now as people were always asking (and I was too tired to really pay attention what I was doing), the last thing I want to rush out would be a non-working repository that could theoretically break stuff.

Okay, understood .. please put me on the list of people who are willing to test the new feed. I have two Pandoras just for this task - one for testing/hacking, the other for development/playing. I'll happily participate in sorting out the feed, so let me know when to fire things up and 'opkg update' away ..

Please sir, can we call the GIT sources 'the repo', and the public update server 'the feed'? I think it will avoid a little confusion, Bruce..

I am happy to beta test firmware stuff - I'm not using my pandora for production work, and I can happily re-flash if necessary.

Thanks for the firmware image, ED! I was just looking for that. I couldn't log in because my password had an underscore in it :huh:

Just a quick note:
Tried setting up a feed so I can use opkg update and opkg upgrade from my Pandora.
Worked fine so far.

But this won't go public before it has been extensively tested.
Just to let you know we're working on it and it's not that we have nothing there ;)

Okay - want some help testing it? I'd be willing to commit some time to this if it helps, ED.

torpor said:
Okay - want some help testing it? I'd be willing to commit some time to this if it helps, ED.

Will PM you later, if you want. At the moment, I know it basically works, just need to test out if it reliable updates stuff correctly if we add new libraries, change stuff in images, etc.

Last edited:
Okay .. I'll try and meet you in IRC if you want to discuss the best way to test things and what you hope to get out of the effort .. I'm really eager to see this happen, as you can tell!

One thing you're testing is going to be "what happens if a new .ipk is added to the feed", right? Don't forget that when you do this, you need to re-generate the Packages file .. I hope thats obvious by now and that you have a process for this figured out .. since I imagine you are getting different bits of the system from other developers, it will be important to have pretty rigorous control over how the packages get updated ..

Anyway, will try to catch you on IRC later in the afternoon .. hope you have a nice day!

torpor said:
One thing you're testing is going to be "what happens if a new .ipk is added to the feed", right? Don't forget that when you do this, you need to re-generate the Packages file .. I hope thats obvious by now and that you have a process for this figured out .. since I imagine you are getting different bits of the system from other developers, it will be important to have pretty rigorous control over how the packages get updated ..

That happens automatically when the image is being created. I just need to check if the foreign packages don't break anything.

Anyway, will try to catch you on IRC later in the afternoon .. hope you have a nice day!

Guess it will be tonight, as I have to work during the days and can't work on anything during that ;)

Last edited:
Will hot fix packages still be available going forward?
I would have thought lots of ipkg updates would be more wear on internal flash than less frequent complete updates with a complete flash, or is this not the case?

chris_c said:
Will hot fix packages still be available going forward?
I would have thought lots of ipkg updates would be more wear on internal flash than less frequent complete updates with a complete flash, or is this not the case?

Hotfixes never did a complete flash, they basically do the same as ipkgs :)

And yes, we will also offer our changes in Hotfixes once they are tested and stable.

I will take more time for that from now on, since I rushed things out lately and there were too many mistakes that shouldn't have happened.
So stable updates will slowdown but be more stable :)

Last edited:
Back