Razor switchblade portable 7'' pocket laptop

Thats it? They've traded the interesting switchblade concept for another overpriced gaming Laptop?
huh.gif

"First True Gaming Laptop"??? Man, I bet Alienware want to talk a serious word with Razer!
laugh.gif
I bet, they didn't even made a rugged Metal case for this thing, you actualy should expect this when buying a 2800$ Laptop.

Looks like Blade is getting lambasted by review sites for having such poor specs for its price. The custom pad is neat but not worth the $1000+ premium over superior laptops.. And the battery life is probably not very good either.

I'm not so sure it is the same thing you know. They keep referring to the keys as "switchblade keys", like "an idea we've taken from our similar but not identical switchblade product which is still going to come out at some point".

Yeah it's definitely not the same product. I wouldn't even really call it very similar.. but I wouldn't be especially surprised if the concept was pushed into the Blade due to some marketability or feasibility concerns. Maybe they realized that an Oak Trail Atom has no business in a device that's designed with PC gaming in mind.

What we can surmise from this is that if the Switchblade does get released there's a good chance that it too will be outrageously priced.

The Switchblade? Not familiar with that. To me that seems even more overpriced than $2800 for the Blade..

Haha. Razer are good at pushing out derivative crap, but this takes the biscuit.

Alienware M11x: 4 pounds, 1.29 inches thick.

Razer Blade: Derivative crap produced by liars.

I'm an OpenPandora, Nintendo and SONY fan-man.

Why your nick is SONY then? Why not SONINDORA? Or NINPANY or PANINONY?

I am with you on the concept: with a Pandora, a N3DS and a PSP 3000 you don´t need any other portable. I own other 240 more (not kidding : i really have 250 more portable consoles.. at least) just for vice, but these 3 for needing.

What i hate about the Switchblade is the plagiarism on Switchblade Symphony one of my favorite music bands... grrrr...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the Switch Blade is a "Concept" only. The "Blade" is using some of the technology from the switch blade. As cool as it seems I just don't see the practicality of it. no nubs, shoulder buttons etc.

Well the Switch Blade is a "Concept" only. The "Blade" is using some of the technology from the switch blade. As cool as it seems I just don't see the practicality of it. no nubs, shoulder buttons etc.
I really think they could have done much better to make it more "controller-esque" or ergonomic... considering this is supposed to be a handheld gaming computer.

... however... it still satisfies a niche that currently doesn't exist at all... x86 and windows based handheld gaming... it is not possible to play the most popular pc games in handheld form (natively from the device of course, not remote desktop clones) on pretty much any device. They have x86 handheld MIDs but they don't have the gpu to handle most modern games.

While the pandora fits a great niche, mainly retro gaming; both pc and console, it doesn't fit the niche this is going after... In some areas where the switchblade isn't practical but in others the pandora just isn't capable.

Last edited by a moderator:
John,

Wait, did I understand you right? You're saying the blade fits into the handheld x86 category? Surely you either mean the Switchblade (still questionable on umpc status) or something else?

Right now I cant find anything better/faster than a Sony UX, including the Samsung Q1 Ultra, and the OQO Model 2e.

But that niche you just described, I'm shopping hardcore for something that fits that right now, I want handheld mmo-gaming. Perfectly happy with the "retro" mmo's, like DAoC, EQ 1, WoW, and FFXI. -- Wow isnt really that old, but it supports such low settings so....

John,

Wait, did I understand you right? You're saying the blade fits into the handheld x86 category? Surely you either mean the Switchblade (still questionable on umpc status) or something else?

Right now I cant find anything better/faster than a Sony UX, including the Samsung Q1 Ultra, and the OQO Model 2e.

But that niche you just described, I'm shopping hardcore for something that fits that right now, I want handheld mmo-gaming. Perfectly happy with the "retro" mmo's, like DAoC, EQ 1, WoW, and FFXI. -- Wow isnt really that old, but it supports such low settings so....

the swtichblade is x86 based on intel oaktrail chipset. Should be enough to handle most of those games.... probably not at full settings, but fairly decent settings based off screenshots and demo videos I've seen. It is supposed to have a dedicated GPU (make/model not announced yet) But to play WoW and LoL at the resolution/settings they are suggesting, it has to have at least some beef to it.

I've owned a Q1 (not ultra) and a sony UX and both are really lacking in the graphics department, they will technically run wow and stuff but not enjoyably. The OQO, 2e and all of them seem to be eee netbook era specs. Anything that doesn't have a dedicated GPU will lack in the graphics department when playing slightly graphic intensive games. You might get lucky and run them, but they won't run well. My favorite game maplestory is a 2d platforming MMORPG and WoW both crawl on every computer I used in that range of specs.

it's going to be expensive, I'd bet we're looking at least 800-1200 if not more.

the swtichblade is x86 based on intel oaktrail chipset. Should be enough to handle most of those games.... probably not at full settings, but fairly decent settings based off screenshots and demo videos I've seen. It is supposed to have a dedicated GPU (make/model not announced yet) But to play WoW and LoL at the resolution/settings they are suggesting, it has to have at least some beef to it.

It could have something like nVidia ION but I rather doubt it. ION2 has a TDP of 13W. I don't know if something of this form factor can even handle that thermally or electrically, never mind what it'd do to your battery life. So it'll probably be stuck with the up to 400MHz SGX 535 on Lincroft. Hopefully the drivers are better than they were for GMA500.

Seems like they would have been much better off going with one of the tablet-specificed Ontario chipsets, although the battery life would have been worse.

John,

But how do you personally define UMPC? For me the Switchblade is definitely something to keep an eye on -- but i do fear they will overcharge. And although I'm willing to drop 1000 or more for some of these rather cool gadgets -- dropping 2000-3000 on an overpowered Niche-netbook is where I draw the line. I just cant justify that to my own wallet -- let alone the Wife.

Plus, for me I'm looking for Handheld, which is not necessarily the same category as UMPC, however, the switchblade is definitely not handheld. I need something 2 lbs or lighter, AND can be utilized by fingers and thumbs (like a PSP/3DS). The switchblade, to me, is just a beefy version of my Toshiba NB205.

How much did you optimize or try to make the mmo thing work on those older portables you mentioned? I'm looking real hard this week (and posting everrywhere) at the Sony UX and Samsung Q1U-P. -- I was looking at the OQO Model 2, until I found out 2+ for the most part doesnt exist, and that's where it took a big leap with atom chip as opposed to the slower in all the other models.

Any opinons on this new Netbook Navigator Nav7? That sure is a sexy looking device, although I'm mostly trying to avoid tablets.

Well i was following this product for a while just out of interest and do believe months ago i read an artical by the ceo of razor saying that they had cancelled the switchblade because they were looking to move the company in a different direction.

Also dont want to offend to many people with this comment, but this was being marketed at world of war craft gamers when i was following the progress. Now correct me if i am wrong but dont wow gamers rarely leave their desktops let alone their homes. Why on earth would they need a portable devise, sounds kinda stupid to me

Back