Razer Blade Stealth

mikesheley

The new ultrabook from Razer, the "Razer Blade Stealth" looks pretty sweet to me. It's not really all that special by itself and is just a nice, lightweight ultrabook with a beautiful screen, but with the Thunderbolt port you can plug it into a "core" that can house a full-size double-wide video card and immediately make use of it with no reboots.

This looks great for me as a solution to consolidate and just have 1 laptop + the base thing to get rid of my desktop. Very interested in following this one. We'll see how much the base costs though!

http://www.cnet.com/products/razer-blade-stealth/
[doublepost=1452283062,1452281845][/doublepost]
I guess MSI did something similar with the MSI GS30 Shadow but that requires a full up docking solution that sits on top of the "base". I like how the Razer is just a cable you plug in so you can stash the core out of sight somewhere.

Looks promising. I am holding off on upgrading my laptop just to see how this things turns out. No "core" yet so I will wait until it is released.

Ah, looks like the Alienware laptop and Amplifier idea except they've taken all the graphics power out of the laptop to make it as portable as possible. This looks excellent.

Yeah but quite expensive for something without internal graphic card

Envoyé de mon 6039Y en utilisant Tapatalk

Ah, looks like the Alienware laptop and Amplifier idea except they've taken all the graphics power out of the laptop to make it as portable as possible. This looks excellent.
Indeed. I wish they would create a standard for the external core/amplifier.

Do these external graphic modules work in a Linux environment or do they require a windows-only driver?

Little bit to small and I don't like glossy/Touchscreen Dislays on Laptops but I like the overall concept. I hope the build quality is good enough and the first tests on Notebookcheck are good. I'm also for general standards and general external GPU components for Notebooks. Propritary stuff does not help there.

Last edited:
Apparently this is the start of lots of GPU box hardware. Intel is releasing a small NUC with their "Skull Canyon" Skylake chip that will have a Thunderbolt 3 port on it and rumor is that it might be able to take advantage of the Razer Core as well. We'll see I guess. THat would be totally cool to be able to move the core between my laptop and my HTPC.

Too bad the new Dell Latitude models do not sport a thunderbolt capable port - I hoped to replace my gaming pc at home with some sort of external gfx box:(

I have a thinkpad edge s430 which has a thunderbolt port and it has been a huge improvement to my work flow. I can connect thunderbolt hardware to it and use it right away under linux and windows as long as the hardware is supportet at all. I am using a blackmagic intensity shuttle right now for video I/O on the go right now for example. It's simple plug and play that just works like a PCIE bridge.
I haven't tried external gpus yet but have heard great things. There are a couple of docking stations out there for thunderbolt already, that support different I/O options and built in HDDs etc, these are all marketed for apple users (and cost horrifying amounts) but supposedly work flawlessly under any OS with thunderbolt support.

also having a bunch of display port adapters with me all the time makes beamer connection problems a thing of the past. no hdmi? okay, let's try VGA or DVI.

HDD Docks with thunderbolt are awesome as well, still a bit too expensive, so I am good with USB3.0 for now, but the speeds you can get are tempting me...

Hands-On!

If it only would have a non-glare screen. ^^"

Tested wrote in the Video comments: "They implied off-camera that the Core should work with other laptops that have thunderbolt 3, through driver and bios updates." Interesting. :)

Last edited:
Wasn't really a "hands on", he didn't *do* anything with it...
I assume when not connected to the core it just uses the internal Intel HD whatever on the i7

Back