Raspberry Pi - 25 Dollar PC on a USB stick

Oh wow.

Here's hoping it'll be available to the general public. I don't want to deal with the karmic implications of mugging a starving third-world child for his PC.

yes and the pandora was sold for $330 at one point....see where im going with this?

That thing is just awesome, looking forward to see how small we can make PC's like this in 10 years.

Yep, epically awesome!

Cheap tiny linux computers for youngsters to learn how the insides of a computer work, an excellent idea!

yes and the pandora was sold for $330 at one point....see where im going with this?
Nope.

if you're referring to the fact that thing runs at a higher clock speed, forget it, different architecture :p
I believe he's suggesting that the $25 price point may be more optimism than reality.

Still if it comes in below $100 it might make a suitable companion to my rapidly aging BeagleBoard.

Here's hoping it'll be available to the general public. I don't want to deal with the karmic implications of mugging a starving third-world child for his PC.

Are you kidding? They're the easiest targets because they lack the strength to fight back. Plus, you know that a starving, third-world child isn't going to have the necessary peripherals to make this work, so you're really doing them a favor by taking that reminder off of their shoulders.

It's good karma! ;)

I love one quote form the BBC on this:

. . .get the device into the hands of children who may not have access to a computer at home or would not be allowed by parents to "muck about with it".

I really think that tech savy, or at least parents that know how to use computers, is stifling children when it comes to learning real computer knowledge by trial and error. When I was a kid my parents were absolute in the dark when it came to computers and the family computer was mine and my brothers. We broke it constantly, freshly installing windows at least once a week. We learned a ton from doing that, tweaking and installing programs that broke things. Kids are not allowed to do that anymore, the computer is an important part of life for people my age with kids. The family computer can't break, it is too important and loosing things on it is a bad bad thing. A lot of families can only afford one computer and a lot of the times kids are not allowed to 'muck around' with it so they never learn anything.

This is great because they can break the OS on this thing because it is their's and it is cheap enough that any kid can have one. The HDMI port is kind of a put off, it seems a lot of budget monitors hover between HDMI and older standards and a lot of monitors from budget PCs, the kind families with only one computer own, might not have HDMI.

EDIT: I think kids now-a-days are so computer illiterate it is pathetic. There are a lot of factors; devices that are easy to use as is and can't be hacked, ipod, ipad, xbox, ps3, ect. Possibly OS's are getting too easy, even Linux is dead simple to use now. Kids not using computers and not being able to play around with them because they're so important in households now is probably the biggest, at least in my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

. . .get the device into the hands of children who may not have access to a computer at home or would not be allowed by parents to "muck about with it".

I really think that tech savy, or at least parents that know how to use computers, is stifling children when it comes to learning real computer knowledge by trial and error. When I was a kid my parents were absolute in the dark when it came to computers and the family computer was mine and my brothers. We broke it constantly, freshly installing windows at least once a week. We learned a ton from doing that, tweaking and installing programs that broke things. Kids are not allowed to do that anymore, the computer is an important part of life for people my age with kids. The family computer can't break, it is too important and loosing things on it is a bad bad thing. A lot of families can only afford one computer and a lot of the times kids are not allowed to 'muck around' with it so they never learn anything.

This is great because they can break the OS on this thing because it is their's and it is cheap enough that any kid can have one. The HDMI port is kind of a put off, it seems a lot of budget monitors hover between HDMI and older standards and a lot of monitors from budget PCs, the kind families with only one computer own, might not have HDMI.

EDIT: I think kids now-a-days are so computer illiterate it is pathetic. There are a lot of factors; devices that are easy to use as is and can't be hacked, ipod, ipad, xbox, ps3, ect. Possibly OS's are getting too easy, even Linux is dead simple to use now. Kids not using computers and not being able to play around with them because they're so important in households now is probably the biggest, at least in my mind.
Entirely agree

I once broke my dads PC by mistake, had till 5.45 to fix it before he got back, lots of trial and error and playing about and I fixed it,

granted I had only set the files to hidden but it was on WIN95 which means I put have been about 7/8 was scary, after that all I did is break computers and fix them,

They say kids now a days can just pick up a computer and naturally know how to use it, this isn't because they are getting better but because OS' are becoming more intuitive and kids want to learn they are just being stopped.

Too many lessons on how make things bold in M$ word

Well the Pandora is MINE, my 6 year old is not allowed to play around with it.

However she is getting a netbook for her birthday (Her choice, doesn't want a real laptop). And apart from initial use she will be *free to do what she wants on it, I figure it's how I learnt and she might learn something cool to teach me :D She already knows not to click links without checking, and also that most email is "pretend".

*free - I will however run it through a proxy which I will control purely to keep her from getting bombarded from the seedy side of the 'net (viruses/popups/redirects).

I think most people on this form are smart enough to get their kids their own computers, but many parents know only how to use facebook and save pictures to their HD and don't think learning computers skills are important enough to let their kids play around on the home PC or get a second PC for their kids.

Ok, this is seriously cool, and I want one. I hope they do some sort of "Give one, get one" scheme like the OLPC group did, because I would go for that in a heartbeat.

Good on Mr. Braben for trying to get this stuff taught in British schools again - it's been far too long since that was the case! I always felt privileged that I was taught from a young age how to understand the basic workings of just about any computer (giving me skills that I can still translate to most machines that I come across), rather than simply being conditioned on what to click on in very specific pieces of software instead (which is all that kids nowadays seem to get, and which from my experience of these folks, they can't seem to translate to other software or hardware at all because they weren't really *taught* anything).

I hope this takes off - hopefully it will bring the standards of learning about computers back up again.

Last edited by a moderator:
We could make Pandora 2 cheaper?

Not really that much. The most expensive stuff like LCD, OMAP, connectors, etc. are not on that small stick. The speed is slower than that of the Pandora 1, that's why it's a lot cheaper.

The LCD alone costs double the price than the full stick PC ;)

Back