Rapidracoon - Racing Game Wip

But where are the racoons? Do the racoons drive the other cars? Maybe the racoons are the pets of the drivers? I don't understand the reference to racoons :p

Looks good though. The rendering is very PSX-ish. It even has the wavy textures when they get close (from the fixed point math I presume), still looks great for a non-3D system. It seems very fast and smooth, hopefully it can maintain that when other vehicles are on the track too.

xenonflash said:
Finally! I can't believe it's taken this long for someone to make a homebrew racer! If it's commercial, I'll buy it.
You can't beleieve it? It's not exactly a trivial task you know... >_>

Congrat Ukko. looks good so far. Kudos for using starcast.xm as the music in that vid. I'll say again please grace us with a nice demo as soon as you can! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
xenonflash said:
Finally! I can't believe it's taken this long for someone to make a homebrew racer! If it's commercial, I'll buy it.
You can't beleieve it? It's not exactly a trivial task you know... >_>

Congrat Ukko. looks good so far. Kudos for using starcast.xm as the music in that vid. I'll say again please grace us with a nice demo as soon as you can! :)

Yeeaahh! STARCAST done by my friend REZ, he'll make all the music for RapidRacoon (like BabylonBastard) :D

[off topic]
The world needs more developers like yourselves.

And they're french! Face it nickspoon, I rock, they rock, frenchmen rock!
No they don't, they're smelly and arrogant bastards! At least, you and every Frenchman I've met personally are.

EDIT: And they wear silly hats and have a strange obsession with long bread rolls and bicycles.
LOL :p you miss to say frog/snail eater and wine drinker. I'm french and don't like that, i drink scotish wisky :D
[/off topic]

Super exciting... As a gamer and french :D
That was exactly what we were missing for this handled. A nice, smooth futurist racing game.
Bravo !

I have tried the demo and i could say that was speed on GP2x :D and the music is realy good for this game. It's like the first Wipeout or RidgeRacer on PSX but with lot of speed ^^

I notice it has an undulating track. Could the 3d-engine handle some big hills? Some mountain-based tracks?

I notice it has an undulating track. Could the 3d-engine handle some big hills? Some mountain-based tracks?

What do you mean by undulating track?
BTW the 3D engine is based on quad-tree, then it's able to manage any sort of map, but we optimised it only to handle obgect beside the track.

What do you mean by undulating track?

The road goes up and down, rather than being completely flat. I was wondering if the engine could be pushed to do this:
rageracer.jpg

That's very impressive speed you have there at the moment! Is that a 200MHz clocked gp2x??

As DaveC said - very PSX-like - which is great.

Always thought something of this standard would be possible, especially with PSX4ALL running such quality at 6 fps under emulation.

Okay, to follow on the undulating track thread - Can/does the track cross itself - ie does it have bridges over itself? I get the impression from the video that it does..?

Looking forward to a demo of some kind :)

That's very impressive speed you have there at the moment! Is that a 200MHz clocked gp2x??

As DaveC said - very PSX-like - which is great.

Always thought something of this standard would be possible, especially with PSX4ALL running such quality at 6 fps under emulation.

Okay, to follow on the undulating track thread - Can/does the track cross itself - ie does it have bridges over itself? I get the impression from the video that it does..?

Looking forward to a demo of some kind :)

Well, the track can cross itseft but on diferent level(one part upside an other part) no crossroad.
It actualy run at 200mhz.

Again, this looks absolutely amazing. Assuming I can afford this (and assuming it's commercial), I'll be up for this - well, assuming it feels as good as it looks, at least :)

I'm noticing a certain lack of other drivers - is this because they're not coded yet, or just not in the demo's repetoire? And as and when they turn up (assuming they do), how much do you think that might affect framerate to e.g. have 4 other drivers on screen at once?

Well, the track can cross itself but on different level (one part upside an other part) no crossroad.
It actualy run at 200mhz.
Fair enough - sounds great :) (especially at 200MHz).
I take it the inability to have crossroads is a specific game limitation rather than a 3d engine limitation.

Looking forward to seeing this.

[off topic]
The world needs more developers like yourselves.

And they're french! Face it nickspoon, I rock, they rock, frenchmen rock!
No they don't, they're smelly and arrogant bastards! At least, you and every Frenchman I've met personally are.

EDIT: And they wear silly hats and have a strange obsession with long bread rolls and bicycles.
LOL :p you miss to say frog/snail eater and wine drinker. I'm french and don't like that, i drink scotish wisky :D
[/off topic]

Same here, I'm a Cocalcoholic, 92% of what I drink is Coca Cola, and the rest is like 5% milk (from brakefists) and 3% water.

I'll never understand why laziness isn't part of the french stereotype tho, we're lazy and proud of it, who else works 35 hours a week? The french stereotype sounds pretty outdated and inaccurate to me. I can't even think of a single person I know who ever ate a frog.

I remember my first day working in France, a bell rang out and the whole city went for lunch. Me and my British colleague went with our employers to a cafe and ordered a sandwich. They ordered the whole menu, and took two hours over it.

Mind, they were all fat...

Back