Rainbow Plains

hmn

screenshot03.png

A little minesweeper clone for the Wiz: https://gitlab.com/chenz/rainbowplains/wikis/home
Feedback is welcome :)

Release 1.0.0, merry Christmas ;-)

I also posted it on the file archive, which seems to be horribly broken though :-(

Edit 2011-12-24: Release 1.0.0
Edit 2017-05-27: Updated broken Links

Last edited:
I love it! Very polished! I like the graphics and cute sound effects.
However, there are a few things that could (and some should) be added:
1. Flag. We need to have a button to mark a cell that we suspect is mined. Let it be button X
2. Change button binding from A to B.
3. Music. The game is eye candy, but without music it becomes a bit boring. I can help with that (I compose music).
4. The menu background is nice, I like the color fading. However, it kind'a blends in with the menu itself. If the background was also scrolling (diagonally) - it would look great.
5. Custom mode. Add a custom mode where you can chose the size of the field (small, medium, large) and set the number of mines. Two options - let the user set the mines with some kind of keypad, or have predetermined values (like, 5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50)
6. Very important - sometimes you can blow up on the first click. The first cell you reveal is sometimes a mine. Needs fixing.

Looking forward to the next version! (well, if this is beta, I suspect it will be out of beta at some point, right? :rolleyes: )

Excellent suggestions, thanks!

Mr.TwisT said:
1. Flag. We need to have a button to mark a cell that we suspect is mined. Let it be button X
I initially discarded flags because of the touchscreen interface, but it could be implemented using "shoulder button + click".

Mr.TwisT said:
2. Change button binding from A to B.
I know that B is usually the "Action" button, but I personally much prefer A, because it allows you to hold the device more comfortably. I think I'll bind both A and B.

Mr.TwisT said:
3. Music. The game is eye candy, but without music it becomes a bit boring. I can help with that (I compose music).
Yes, music is currently a "wishlist" item in the TODO list. Post (or PM me) some of your stuff so I can check it out :)

Mr.TwisT said:
4. The menu background is nice, I like the color fading. However, it kind'a blends in with the menu itself. If the background was also scrolling (diagonally) - it would look great.
I experimented with scrolling, but I thought it made the background look to busy. I'll experiment some more, maybe it just needs to scroll slower :)

Mr.TwisT said:
5. Custom mode. Add a custom mode where you can chose the size of the field (small, medium, large) and set the number of mines. Two options - let the user set the mines with some kind of keypad, or have predetermined values (like, 5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50)
Also already in the "wishlist" - will look into it.

Mr.TwisT said:
6. Very important - sometimes you can blow up on the first click. The first cell you reveal is sometimes a mine. Needs fixing.
Hehe I chose to ignore that so far due to the fact that mine sweeper isn't always "solvable" anyway (ie sometimes you are forced to take depend on luck). But I agree that it is a little frustrating. Would you suggest that the board should be created after the first click, so that it is guaranteed that field isn't a bomb, or should a starter area be exposed before the first move?

Mr.TwisT said:
Looking forward to the next version! (well, if this is beta, I suspect it will be out of beta at some point, right? :rolleyes: )
I'll post a new version after the weekend :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the flag button is a must. I also would rather use the X or B button instead of the A button, but it's not that big of a deal.
Great game so far though.
Thanks

Hi,

Looks great. I haven't tried it out yet, but looking at the screenshots, may i suggest using a qwerty (or similar) keyboard instead of an alphabetized one. It is a keyboard most people are used to and i think it will be a lot less frustrating to use :)

Excellent job so far. :)
But I would also prefer B (and A) as the 'action' button, X for the 'back' button and L, R & Y (not at the same time) mapped for the 'flag' button.
Looking forward to the next release.

Cheers, Neil

IT'S AWESOME! I've been always waiting for a proper Minesweeper for the Wiz, good job! :)

Add the flag and you're done :)

I've begun working on the changes suggested by you guys, but the next beta will very likely be delayed until next week due to the heat and the world cup :)

I've just posted a new beta, containing the following changes:

* Flags
* Expose an empty tile on game start
* Mapped B-Button

For the custom game options and music player, the menu/state system needs some work. I'm currently working on that.

Tried it and it works great! Flags look good and now the game is perfect for me, I don't need anything else. Thanks! :)

hmn said:
* Expose an empty tile on game start
I really like this feature! In the old version I sometimes tripped on a mine with my first click ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of exposing the first tile, may i suggest instead randomize the level on first click until the first click is clear one. The first click i think is important because it is your click that cleared aaaall those tiles. Otherwise it is kinda like playing an already started game.

I am looking forward to trying this when i get back from vacation :)

/Uni

Thanks for the update, I've been playing this to death. :)

I've got a few suggestions for the next version:

1. Could RESTART be added to the in game menu between CONTINUE GAME and BACK TO MENU.

2. On the YOU LOSE! screen could all the flags be shown instead of just the ones on the numbered squares.

3. And could the exploded mine could be shown on the above screen also.

4. Also on this screen could the YOU LOSE! line be made to flash so the numbers/flags/mines aren't covered by it.

5. The YOU WIN! line could be made to flash also. (Not that I see this very often!)

Looking forward to the next release. :)

Cheers, Neil

Back