Racism towards greece

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're talking about capitalist employers. I'm talking about those, who came up with unfunded pension schemes. Bismarck here in Germany, iirc.

My entire family had to emigrate/flee from the GDR, why would anyone defend a country of origin that made one do that?
If Greece would be so great, you would hardly have gone away. oO
I fail to see the logic behind your patriotism (or patriotism in general tbh).
I think it comes from a confusion between the country (and its political power) and the people. And I fully understand Razy being attached to the people of Greece, having been there as a traveler and receiving unsolicited solidarity I can attest about the generous and friendly nature of the people there.

It must feel bitter to them to have their lives and country destroyed by european institutions. Greece as a country may have its fair share of responsibility, but one cannot turn a blind eye at the consequences for the normal people due to decisions forced on them by the northern block of the EU. And the tragedy is that the same countries that had no clemence for Greece are the ones benefiting from Greek emigrants labor now.

Razy I feel for you.

The normal people are always those who suffer but the problem lies with the different economics and mentalities of countries (heck even local regions in germany) ... countries (and peoples) are wildly different and pressing them all into the same frame will break something - normally the peoples first but the frame will probably follow

Some economies are on life-support now, others are burning themselves up quickly ... so everyone take a good look at Greece, this can quite easily become your own future

It must feel bitter to them to have their lives and country destroyed by european institutions. Greece as a country may have its fair share of responsibility, but one cannot turn a blind eye at the consequences for the normal people due to decisions forced on them by the northern block of the EU.
The inverse also holds. The people of Greece elected a government that severely mismanaged the country and as a result became a serious financial threat to the people of the remainder of the union which had to bail them out or lose their savings (a lose-lose scenario). The Greek government is and should be responsible for it, thus there rests more blame on the shoulders of the Greek than on those of other European countries.

Other countries are not without blame either, they allowed Greece to join to union, which should never have happened in the first place, given their financial situation at the time. Well, both parties paid the price for that. Which means, for governments nothing changes, European citizens pay for the mistakes and the Greeks are left with a broken economy and suffer in poverty.

Everybody loses. Great going guys...just peachy.

*sorry for bad english in advance, it may not be well enough to describe propperly what's going through my mind*

I was quoted, so I must answer because I feel a little bit offended now.
If my little spike towards the greek company (not the country in general!) already was "racism", then sorry, the whole world is pure racism imho because out there is much much worse going on than that. I can't let stand this like that, especialy because Greece (companies) has proven that they have incredible issues and problems! (there is not even a propper land/home-register, of course the collection of taxes etc. is difficult) And if your country would pump Billions of Euros in another country because they can't handle well with money, you would have all right to critisize these kind of behaviour! Germany alone pumped Bilions of Euros towards Greece and all we've got was endless TRUE RACCISM Nazi-comparisons from the greek press. Criticize that! Many many people here are really pissed because they have to pay with their high taxes for another country that can't handle taxes! And no, that is not "Fake News!"
To be precise, I would criticize every country that does so, no matter if Greece or whatever, doesn't matter who it is, doesn't make me racism! I don't have double-standards. I know that Goldman-Sachs & Co. also play a major role in that story. I personaly had beautiful holidays in Greece by the way, beautiful Country, best holidays so far.

I agree thet it is not alone the fault of Greece, the EU made the biggest mistake to let a country in, that did not fulfill the EU guidelines for a membership. If we all want to feel better, let blame all EU politicans and of course Bankers, you are never wrong with that. But please do not throw the dangerous word "racism" out, just because you feel insulted about (facts based) sarcasm. That could make an impression that everything we know about the (greek) financial crisis is pure fiction and that would meke me angry.

Last edited:
Why is everything racist nowadays? No one's saying the Greek people are inferior nor should they be discriminated against. I fail to see how any of the aforementioned posts convey either of the former 2 messages.

Personally, I'm all about prejudice equality. I'd be honored, OP, to make that list you made, but I know nothing about nothing over there.

Indeed. I think the OP downplays the harsh reality and the past and present atrocities of racism, by labeling this as an instance of it.

Using the same logic, I could claim that judging your relationship with this community based on the statements of just a handful is racist too. Race does not seem to play a role here at all.
It seems to me to be more a case of erroneous generalization, extrapolation or imprecise phrasing on one side and over-sensitivity on the other.

Only thing I can see is confusion - to make it clear: sarcasm is not racism.

The whole OP is missing the definition of racism completely. Same discussion like all the "Hate Speech" nonsense.

I think the nuance is: Greece jokes are not directed at specific board members, they are stereotypes, but someone visiting the boards might take offense.

Greek is not a "race" and if ED hated Greeks then he would have never done business with them in the first place. It's OK to take offense to ED's statement, but you are actively trivializing those who actually deal with racism with this overly dramatic thread.

Seriously though, despite the fact that Greek people might not fit the specific definition of "race", one can still be prejudiced against them and discriminate against them as they are a subset of european society as a whole, and can thus be targeted. The use of the term "racism" might not be accurate, but the effects of such discrimination are very real.

Of course, that such criticisms of greek culture might be entirely accurate is beside the point. There are plenty that can be leveled at any culture, and my personal opinion is that if anyone gets offended at a cultural generalism then they should be looking closer to home for the root of their issues :)

Last edited:
There really was no mention of race, except for the explicit allegation of "racism".
Going beyond Greece, the country, or the inhabitants thereof,
the reasons for their hardship being their race or stemming from it, was never in question.
That implication was yours alone to make, and it thankfully makes no sense, on part of anyone else.
I think you tarnish the English language this way.

Some part of me thinks I'm biting down hard on the bait seeing as your nickname is "Razy". :)

The greatest age Greece has ever seen was not thwarted by jokes btw: https://theculturetrip.com/europe/greece/articles/15-jokes-only-ancient-greeks-could-tell/

Edit: Greeks are FYR macedonians with wings.

I do *a lot* of humour (some would say 'too much').
Not always understood && I am sad to admit, not always very funny.

One thing I know for sure: when someone feels offended by a joke,
he or she wants^H^H^H^H^H^H needs^H^H^H^H^H^H deserves appologies;
not self-justifications && definitly not lectures about his supposed lack of humour.
If a joke does not make the audience laugh, the joke is bad.
If it upsets the audience, it is not a joke; it is a disparaging remark in disguise.
The lack of humour then coming from the joker.

I draw no shame nor glory from my origins.
To borrow words from a renowned philosopher, I think we should 'exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias ...'.
But in the town I live, people from the town I was born are looked down on.
I suffer from their scorning 'jokes' even if I know the shame should be theirs for disregarding their fellow (wo)men.
Worst part is, pepole from the town I was born do the same.
To people from the town I live (thus, to me), as well as to others.
This situation is unfortunately not an isolated case.

I do not remember people blaming USA or Texas compagnies in general for the incompetence of Circuit Co.
Neither do I remember people making fun of UK citizens because of the behaviour of the-one-that-must-not-be-named.
But my memories may betray me && discussions might have been extracted from main threads just like this one has.
I might have missed something, so feel free to put links to old forum threads to prove me wrong.

One thing I know for sure: when someone feels offended by a joke, he or she deserves appologies;
In my opinion people do not have the right to not be offended. Some people are offended by one thing, others by the opposite.
Sure, if you unintentionally offend someone then it reflects positively on your character to apologize, but in no way are you obliged to do so. If you intentionally offend someone then you are just being a dick.

People deserve no such thing.

An audience can be as bad as the one telling the joke. One is not entitled to understanding, nor above indignation or offence on part of the other.

Edit: If you intentionally offend someone, intending to do it, then you are successful.

Last edited:
A Greek, a German and an American walk into a plastic factory (assuming there are double doors so the American can get inside)...

While I did find some things that were said were in poor taste and worthy of commenting on, others that were called out did not say things targeted at people. Well, maybe, since companies are people, too. Still, some of those posts don't seem like they could cause offense, in or out of context. Just my opinion, though, and others might be way more sensitive about nationality (but whose problem is that, then?).

So, yeah, I agree that letting people know when things can reasonably be thought of as offensive is a good thing (although probably handled differently, but that is me). I think it is more important to keep such things from escalating to much worse actions and attitudes. But, there is a balance needed, so you kinda need a thicker skin if you are going to interact with others. Just because someone says something about a race, gender, nationality, whatever collective term for a group of people, does not mean it is an attack on them. And sometimes a joke or comment is funny.

Or we could all go to war. Again.

Why is everything racist nowadays? No one's saying the Greek people are inferior nor should they be discriminated against. I fail to see how any of the aforementioned posts convey either of the former 2 messages.

Personally, I'm all about prejudice equality. I'd be honored, OP, to make that list you made, but I know nothing about nothing over there.
Misanthropy is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back