Race! Released

Thor are you still working on the gp32 version ? Do you think a rom selector and a speed/frameskip setting can be added later ? :)

Thanks again for what you have done for us, Gp32 users ^^

This is a very good emulator. I spent a while playing it (F/w 2.0 and Selector 1.1). Pity there aren't many quality games on the NeoGeo Pocket platform, but I found a dozen or so which are quality, which is good enough for me! Perfection will be the screen in full size!

I notice you can exit to the emulator ROM menu by pressing the shoulder buttons - nice.

Excellent!

bacteria posted on May 25 2006 at 10:00 AM said:
This is a very good emulator. Pity there aren't many quality games on the NeoGeo Pocket platform, but I found a dozen or so which are quality, which is good enough for me!

Thanks.

There weren't many games total for the Neo Geo Pocket. Though, the percentage of quality games is rather high. Pretty much any of the (non gambling) games are worth trying.

For my tastes, I'd recommend:
Any Cardfighters Clash game. (Card RPG)
Faselei! (Strategy/RPG)
Sonic (obvious)
BioMotor Unitron (RPG)

There are many fighting games and puzzle games, but I haven't got into many of those. That's probablly blasphemy for a SNK fan to say, though. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Aha. Thanks for the startup sound tip.

The Metal Slug games are great side scrollers, the ones for the Pocket Color are very challenging.

Flavor posted on May 25 2006 at 06:10 PM said:
bacteria posted on May 25 2006 at 10:00 AM said:
This is a very good emulator. Pity there aren't many quality games on the NeoGeo Pocket platform, but I found a dozen or so which are quality, which is good enough for me!

Thanks.

There weren't many games total for the Neo Geo Pocket. Though, the percentage of quality games is rather high. Pretty much any of the (non gambling) games are worth trying.

For my tastes, I'd recommend:
Any Cardfighters Clash game. (Card RPG)
Faselei! (Strategy/RPG)
Sonic (obvious)
BioMotor Unitron (RPG)

There are many fighting games and puzzle games, but I haven't got into many of those. That's probablly blasphemy for a SNK fan to say, though. :)

Are those RPG's in english?

Jarska333 posted on May 25 2006 at 02:07 PM said:
Are those RPG's in english?

Yeah. I can't think of many NGPC RPGs that were not released in English.

CardFighters Clash was in English, but CardFighters Clash 2 was not. Though, I did work on a translation hack for it, so at least all the cards are translated.

Ogre Battle Gaiden was also never officially translated. I've never played it, but my impression is that it was more of a strategy RPG.

If you're looking for one to try, you can't go wrong with Faselei! or Cardfighters (in my opinion). They're rather different genres, though.

Faselei! is more like a strategy RPG mech-warrior game.

CardFighters is like M:TG, YuGiOh, or Pokemon Trading Card game.

BioMotor Unitron is more of a typical Final Fantasy type RPG. Oh, come to think of it, I think there was a BioMotor Unitron 2 that wasn't translated, also.

If you want more in-depth reviews, try http://ngpc.neogeoforlife.com/ or http://gameboy.ign.com/index/reviews.html. Though, the IGN review list includes GameBoy and GameGear.

EDIT: Here's another review site. http://www.neo-geo.com/reviews/indexs/index-ngpc.htm

since you worked on a translation hack for cardfighters clash 2 any chance on working on any more neo pocket translations specifically Ganbare Neo Poke Kun which doesn't have much text so shouldnt be too hard and king of fighters Battle de Paradise which i haven't tried by looks really cool. if not any chance you could contact someone that could make that possible. ive seen translation hacks for games there weren't even anything good so i think someone would be willing to translate these.

There's already an english trad for Card fighters 2, (only for Battle menus and cards texts but enough for playing) :) And there's a Faq on Gamefaqs.com if you want to know the storyline :)

The rom name is "SNK Vs Capcom - Card Fighters Clash 2 - Expand Edition (J) [T-EngV14.12.01].zip"

The game is a little slow on a Gp32.... so sad.... :(

Shikigami posted on May 25 2006 at 06:48 PM said:
There's already an english trad for Card fighters 2
Yup, that would be the one I (among other people) worked on. It's too bad they rip out the readme file when they distribute it like that.

jbrodack posted on May 25 2006 at 06:23 PM said:
since you worked on a translation hack for cardfighters clash 2 any chance on working on any more neo pocket translations

No. To be realistic, I'd say that there's not a chance. It was a fun project, but it was a right people at the right time sort of deal.

Shikigami posted on May 24 2006 at 05:27 PM said:
Thor are you still working on the gp32 version ? Do you think a rom selector and a speed/frameskip setting can be added later ? :)

Thanks again for what you have done for us, Gp32 users ^^

I take a small break on the project, then I'll do a simple menu witth all of this (within next week certainly).

Thor

rtb7 posted on May 26 2006 at 03:09 AM said:
I take a small break on the project, then I'll do a simple menu witth all of this (within next week certainly).

Thor

You have just made me so damn happy :wub:
If you have the time, could you please add the option to overclock the emu? that would be fan frickin tastic

thank you for your great work Thor & Flavor; cardfighters is as great as ever!

i f*cking love this emulator!
i wish the volume was a little higher but w/e

itd be cool if it had a better menu with savestates and stuff..

now im off to ruin my joystick!

I've just got back from a wonderful trip to France, where this was almost the only thing loaded throughout the entire trip. Fantastic emulator, and I can now say I've completed (barring the card collection) Cardfighters Clash with as much enjoyment as on the NeoGeo.

The *only* "bug" I've noticed, and I'm not even *certain* it is a bug is that, when walking right such that the screen scrolls in Clash, the leftmost column of tiles scrolls on backwards from about 8 pixels in as opposed to from offscreen. This may, however, have been there in the original system and just been unnoticable.

Considering how slow previous emus were, at least when doing sound at the same time, this is a fantastic piece of work. Congratulations to everyone involved!

Tobriand posted on May 31 2006 at 03:34 PM said:
I've just got back from a wonderful trip to France, where this was almost the only thing loaded throughout the entire trip. Fantastic emulator, and I can now say I've completed (barring the card collection) Cardfighters Clash with as much enjoyment as on the NeoGeo.
Considering how slow previous emus were, at least when doing sound at the same time, this is a fantastic piece of work. Congratulations to everyone involved!
Thanks for the encouragement!

The *only* "bug" I've noticed, and I'm not even *certain* it is a bug is that, when walking right such that the screen scrolls in Clash, the leftmost column of tiles scrolls on backwards from about 8 pixels in as opposed to from offscreen. This may, however, have been there in the original system and just been unnoticable.

I have noticed this on CFC2 also. I'm not quite sure what causes it, though. I would say that it is most likely a glitch with the emulation (or at least with how it is viewed). When I've seen it, it looks like the left-most column of tiles gets messed up during the transition of walking from one tile to the next. Then, when you've made it all the way to the next tile, then the left-most column snaps back to looking proper.

Does that sound like what you've seen?

Flavor posted on May 31 2006 at 09:49 PM said:

I have noticed this on CFC2 also. I'm not quite sure what causes it, though. I would say that it is most likely a glitch with the emulation (or at least with how it is viewed). When I've seen it, it looks like the left-most column of tiles gets messed up during the transition of walking from one tile to the next. Then, when you've made it all the way to the next tile, then the left-most column snaps back to looking proper.

That's exactly the one. As you move, tiles *should* be scrolling such that the rightmost bit of the tile appears to move left. For the first column on the left, that is precisely reversed (i.e. when the second column's matter starts to try and scroll right, it scrolls on from the left side of the faulty column). The effect is interestingly precise, and almost identical to the effect used to "unroll" a screen in days of yore, though I can't think of any examples, I'm afraid.

Flavor posted on May 31 2006 at 09:49 PM said:

That's exactly the one. As you move, tiles *should* be scrolling such that the rightmost bit of the tile appears to move left. For the first column on the left, that is precisely reversed (i.e. when the second column's matter starts to try and scroll right, it scrolls on from the left side of the faulty column). The effect is interestingly precise, and almost identical to the effect used to "unroll" a screen in days of yore, though I can't think of any examples, I'm afraid.

Hm, interesting.

Does this only happen in CFC? Or also in other scrolling games, like Metal Slug or Cotton?

Hm, interesting.

Does this only happen in CFC? Or also in other scrolling games, like Metal Slug or Cotton?

Welcome oh great one. B)

Without testing it right now, I seem to recall seeing it on other ROMs, too.

Also, I don't recall seeing the same problem on MHE, but I can't be sure of that.

Tobriand posted on May 31 2006 at 03:34 PM said:

Thor has both claimed responsibility for and supposedly fixed this bug. He has released a GP32 binary with his new update, and I will try to build and release new GP2X and PC versions this weekend.

I was going to sack Thor for creating such a problem but then I remembered two major things.

1) This is the first time I've ever heard of Thor making a mistake even though he works about 4 times faster than everyone else.

2) I really only wanted to use the word "sack" in a sentence.

So, those responsible have not been sacked.

P.S. Tune in to future posts where I sneak in words like wanker, arsed, and cheeky.

Back