Release Race! A Neo Geo Pocket Color Emulator

They should be non-zipped .ngp or .npc roms

I'll look into adding zip support (maybe just a quick hack with zlib to extract the first file in the zip that has one of those extensions), but it's not something that is high on my priority list atm, getting the menu readable and looking into the save/load states again is gonna take top priority...

neogramps: Sorry about that, I've added in the ability to quit from the menu already in a private build. It should be ready in a day or two (just wanna get the menu stuff more readable but being sick is making it hard to concentrate :S)

I've found in most emu's holding the Pandora Button down for 3 seconds will bring up the kill screen in which the emu's windows will be sized down from full screen so you can quit it (not the best way but it works a lot better than resetting the unit).

Also, I dont know if this is a hack or a debug or what but if you press both A+B (NGPC control wise, X + B on Pandora) in Sonic's Pocket Adventure, Sonic will spin up into a stationary ball. In this ball you can use the D-Pad to move him where-ever you would like to. You can also fly through walls in this mode (i.e beat the level is mere seconds). Stumbled on to it accidentally lol.

Thought it would be a nice share!

From what I've read, it should be ->, ->, a+b

I'll look into it to make sure that RACE! isn't just doing it erroneously on just a+b...

Snow-Okami said:
I've found in most emu's holding the Pandora Button down for 3 seconds will bring up the kill screen in which the emu's windows will be sized down from full screen so you can quit it (not the best way but it works a lot better than resetting the unit).

That is the one thing that has never worked for me. :\

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Hooka said:
updated the file here

Only small changes, menu is bigger :)

Hi, thanks just tried it, the loading screen and menu are much better now!

A few things for your next release if possible;
1 - add a little icon that appears on minimenu for your emulator, with preview pic
2 - add support for analogue control - i know its not microswitched but always feels weird playing ngp games with a d-pad!
3 - add zip support
4 - add back to menu button
5 - give options for 2xx/3x/full screen even if it looks small or big some people like it that way

Keep up the good work, thanks!

Hooka said:
Anybody wanna give me a heads up on whether they'd rather have select as the Y button?
I think select on the 'Y' button would be best to keep games, that use the select button in normal play, playable. Also, is there anything wrong with mapping it to both?

DasFool: *I realized this comment might have been confusing so I edited...* as in yeah, I'll eventually do both, but for the moment it seems that I'll make it Y, but the button setup is slightly unforgiving at the moment, I'll have to do a little work to get both acting as select (The code is funky) :)

I gotta read up on making pnd's properly, I was just using gpnd, but it's somewhat limiting me it seems... (no offense to the author, it's nice, just as stated, a beta ;) )

I just threw an updated binary up again, feel free to check it out and give me feedback on the analog's range of motion and ability to hit the diagonals...

*Change information is on the first post ;)

Hi, thanks for the update, the analogue control seems ok to me, not as good as a microswitch but thats not your fault, still feels better using it than the d-pad, thanks for adding it!

Good to hear that it's been usable for you jaycee900.

I uploaded the source to the webserver today too to make sure that I'm complying with the GPL license (Meant to do so before it started going onto the app store *shrugs* can't win 'em all :p )

Here is a link to the source, I guess you guys can feel free to poke fun at my ugly hacks and such :p

I decided to make sure the pnd on the server was the same version also, I modified the compiler parameters a bit, don't think anything else changed recently... get it here!

SomeGuy99: It can be looked into, but I'm personally unsure as to what is really wrong with the audio... it will be something lower down on my priority list until I know what is off about the audio. I looked through the code quickly and noticed that it's using the native Neo Geo Pocket Color frequency of 8000, so I'll bump it up to 44100 and see if that's more to your liking, unless it breaks something then it'll stay as is...)

Thanks! All I can tell you is that it isn't the native Neo Geo Pocket sound. 'Race PSP' has it running correctly, so hopefully your tweak will sort it out. The sound on Race PSP is nearly identical to the real machine (I had one until recently).

Cheers again :)

Race PSP source code: http://svn.akop.org/psp/tags/race/

Don't know if that helps?

The slight difference in sound, was that a real NGPC sounds a touch more bassy and has an 'edge' to it. On the other hand, Race PSP doesn't have the analogue hissing and buzzing. It's still very close.

Yeah, already been looking at the PSP code... one of the problems I found with merging the code was that I'm running into weird problems with the "Sega" voice at the start of sonic messes up royally... I got save/load states, zip support and the audio stuff kinda fixed up last night, I just introduced a new bug that's segfaulting on me when I try and fix the sega sound...

I could live without the 'Sega!' clip personally, even though it does bring back childhood memories.

Are you planning on lifting the interface from Race PSP? It's rather nice IMO. It would be extra cool if the battery/time/date readouts were Pandora specific too.

SomeGuy99 said:
I could live without the 'Sega!' clip personally, even though it does bring back childhood memories.

Are you planning on lifting the interface from Race PSP? It's rather nice IMO. It would be extra cool if the battery/time/date readouts were Pandora specific too.

I'm pretty sure that fixing the Sega clip will work towards fixing the sound. It's not like he's HLEing the Sega clip.

-God Ginrai

Back