Neo Geo Pocket: Race!

DrPibb

Still Fresh
Hi, I've recently downloaded the "Neo Geo Pocket: RACE!" emulator ver. 21-06-2006 from the gpx2 file archive. In the readme.txt there is pretty much no instructions on how to get it to work. I read some of the comments on the archive page (http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,1526) and it looks like the version I have includes the "selector" program that is mentioned there. So when I select the Race! icon off of my SD card the screen goes black and I have no other choice than turning the GP2x off and on again. Is there a guide somewhere that explains how to do this or is there anyone familiar with this emulator that they could tell me? I've done some google searching and havent found much there either. I'm using Firmware 2.0.0 right now. Please and thanks.

There is no "selector" icon. The only icon that is there is the Race icon, even when the "selector" file is in the same folder. Do I need to change the "selector" file at all? The "selector" file has no extension. Anything else? Thnx.

MrPepper posted on Mar 23 2007 at 02:36 PM said:
There is no "selector" icon. The only icon that is there is the Race icon, even when the "selector" file is in the same folder. Do I need to change the "selector" file at all? The "selector" file has no extension. Anything else? Thnx.

You have to set the selector config file to race with the correct directory, and just open the selector file with no extension, it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use the latest version. The program to run is "race.gpe". Edit the "race_config" file with a text editor (not Notepad, Wordpad does work though), to change the roms directory setting, if necessary.

There is a bug where it will not load a rom if the filename is too long. I don't know what the maximum length is.

But it'd be much easier if you used the GMenu. Because this one already has an installed selector. And if you don't want to use it all the time, you could put the gpe in an other direction (so not in the root). It's rather easy to use although I think that this emu could get an update :) .....

Thanks for your help, but I still can't seem to get it to work. I've opened the race_config file that I guess is the selector configuration file with the Wordpad like you said. Here is what I've entered so far with no luck:

#Selector configuration file
#Version 1.0

#selector-language english (and it doesn't work, crap)
langCode=EN
layoutCode=0

selectRectangle=2

#Full path to skin files
skinPath=./

#command line
cmdLine=/Game EMU/NeoGeo Pocket/RACE/

#path to base directory for file explorer
baseDir=/Game EMU/NeoGeo Pocket/RACE/

#File filters
fileFilter=ngp
fileFilter=ngc
fileFilter=npc

The directory my Race emulator is in is shown above in the file. Is that the way it supposed to look? Am I doing something wrong? I'm still getting the black screen when I try and load the emulator. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Blah posted on Mar 23 2007 at 11:38 PM said:
There is a bug where it will not load a rom if the filename is too long. I don't know what the maximum length is.

I've renamed all my games to 20 characters max - I read it on the boards here somewhere - and they all work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back