Race Neo Geo Pocket Emulator Help

antitrust311

Still Fresh
I was wondering if anyone could give me some help with Race. I have the newest version of Race with the file selector and it seems to only want to play some of my Neo Geo Pocket roms. When I select the Race.gpe I get the file selector with the list of all the games I have and when I scroll to a game and hit B to select it most of the time it says "cargando" then goes back to the selector screen. However it will play some games such as Biomotor unitron and a few other games. I have about 20 roms that it won't play. Does anyone know what may be causing this? I have heard that long file names won't play but when I shorten the names it still does the same thing. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks

I was wondering if anyone could give me some help with Race. I have the newest version of Race with the file selector and it seems to only want to play some of my Neo Geo Pocket roms. When I select the Race.gpe I get the file selector with the list of all the games I have and when I scroll to a game and hit B to select it most of the time it says "cargando" then goes back to the selector screen. However it will play some games such as Biomotor unitron and a few other games. I have about 20 roms that it won't play. Does anyone know what may be causing this? I have heard that long file names won't play but when I shorten the names it still does the same thing. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks
Are they lowercase with no spaces?

Last edited by a moderator:
No they aren't. However Biomotor Unitron rom is spelled Biomotor Unitron (j).ngp and it plays fine. I will give it a try though

Try listing the games that don't work and see if anyone replies to the contrary, then you'll know if it's your roms or not. Not many emulators play 100% of the games so it could just be that.

Well I shortened the game names to a max of 20 characters and now they all work. However does anyone know how to change the emulator screen size. It only uses about half of the 320x240 of the display. If anyone knows how to modify the code of RACE to enlarge the screen size please let me know thanks

Well I shortened the game names to a max of 20 characters and now they all work. However does anyone know how to change the emulator screen size. It only uses about half of the 320x240 of the display. If anyone knows how to modify the code of RACE to enlarge the screen size please let me know thanks

i second that! that would be really cool. it seems like it emulates the pixels one for one but since the neogeos pixels are much larger its shrunk...

LOL, the ngp had fewer pixels. Not bigger ones...

well, im looking at my neo geo right now and they sure as hell look bigger to me. in fact, right on the front it says 'pixel pitch 0.3 x 0.3' . since the emu look s about 3/4 the size of the real thing, id predict the dot pitch of the gp2x is about 0.22. i dont know much about how these things are measured, this:

http://www.jsic.com.tw/product_detail.asp?...d=03501#pagetop

which is supposed to be the gp2x screen, from my way of thinking implies that the pixels are rectangular (0.073 (H) x 0.219 (V). is this right?

edit: no, its not! wikipedia:

"Traditionally, dot pitch was always measured on the diagonal, as this gives the most accurate representation of the monitor. Starting about the mid-1990s, however, some companies introduced a horizontal dot pitch as a marketing ploy....

Some modern manufacturers quote dot pitch measurements made on the horizontal, others on the diagonal, and many use both. In general, low-end manufacturers tend to quote a horizontal measurement, while quality manufacturers tend to use the diagonal method, but there are many exceptions."

anyway, i stand by my assertion that it seems the emu screen is smaller by the exact proportion of the two two lcd screen dot pitches...

Look, it is actually totally irrelevant how big the pixels of the NGP were, what counts is that it had a lower resolution, that´s why the RACE image isn´t fullscreen.

And please stop referring to the NeoGeo Pocket as "neo geo".

Look, it is actually totally irrelevant how big the pixels of the NGP were, what counts is that it had a lower resolution, that´s why the RACE image isn´t fullscreen.

And please stop referring to the NeoGeo Pocket as "neo geo".

wow! the atari lynx must have some shit hot resolution for its time then as handy is nearly fullscreen on my gp2x!

and since the thread is clearly called 'race neo geo pocket emulator' im sure no one will get confused if i say neo geo for short. but just to be sure shouldnt we be saying snk neogeo pocket COLOR ;)

look, i know im not describing things clearly so heres the res for three handhelds (from wikipedia):

atari lynx: 160 x 102 standard resolution (16,320 addressable pixels)

nintendo game boy: 160 × 144 pixels

snk neogeo pocket color: 160x152

the first two are stretched in gp2x (or if thats not the right term, then whatever it is that makes the picture as large as it can be- just so theres not a seperate argument) so they are a good size.

race however isnt doing that and so there is a smaller image. we can both agree on that, right? now, lets forget the term resolution for a second and let me use this old fashioned thing called a RULER. my ruler is incremented in millimetres- a standard that has been fixed for over 200 years. so, lets get this ruler and do a couple of measurements:

screen size (in mm as determined by my Lufkin 600mm stainless steel ruler) of snk neogeo pocket color running gals fighters:

46mm high x 48mm wide

screen size (in mm as determined by my Lufkin 600mm stainless steel ruler) of race emulator on gamepark holdings gp2x mkII with v2.0 firmware running gals fighters:

33mm high x 34.5mm wide

but there must be something wrong with my Lufkin 600mm stainless steel ruler! :eek: since you say the pixel size is irrelevant then surely the two screen sizes must be the same on both systems! i will email Lufkin immediately and advise them that there is some anomaly in the metric system...

i could be way off here, so correct me if i'm wrong: resolution in the case of small lcd screens really is a pixel count. from wikipedia:

"One use of the term "Display resolution" applies to fixed-pixel-array displays such as flat-panel plasmas (PDPs), LCDs, front and rear projectors using LCD, DLP or similar technologies and is simply the physical number of columns and rows of pixels creating the display (eg, 852x480; 1366x768 etc). "

in height the snk neo geo pocket color has 152 pixels. the gamepark holdings gp2x mkII has 240. a proportion of roughly 1.57 to 1. if you were to make the gamepark holdings gp2x mkII only 152 pixels using its existing screen, it would about 33mm high- the same as the snk neogeo pocket color as emulated on the gamepark holdings gp2x mkII!

so im ready to concede that maybe its impossible to neatly scale up by 1.57 times. but to say pixel size is irrelevant is NOT the right answer.

He's basically referring to the stupid consumer argument about consumers complaining that movies/TVs have "unused space," when in reality it is a stupid idea that people even have to complain about such a thing.

Scaling the neo geo pocket screen to 320x240 will look like crap no matter what or how you do it is the bottom line.

He's basically referring to the stupid consumer argument about consumers complaining that movies/TVs have "unused space," when in reality it is a stupid idea that people even have to complain about such a thing.

Scaling the neo geo pocket screen to 320x240 will look like crap no matter what or how you do it is the bottom line.

what about 240 x 240? thats the key thing.will that look like crap? im not suggesting to fill the whole screen by distorting it. i dont think antitrust was suggesting that either...

what about 240 x 240? thats the key thing.will that look like crap? im not suggesting to fill the whole screen by distorting it. i dont think antitrust was suggesting that either...

I started this thread to raise the question of wether this could be done or not. There is no need to attack others or to insult people. That's why this is called the "I need help" section and not the "show off my big intellect section". If not 320x240 Then at what size could you max out the resolution on this emulator and it still look good. Which leads back to my original question, does anyone know how to modify the code of this emulator to increase the resolution? If anyone has any constructive ideas as how to do this please let me know! Thanks

Back