Quick question concerning RMA's

Gein07

What sort of shipping is used on the return leg of the whole RMA process? Are e-mail notifications sent out to let us know when the fixed unit is on the way back? Thanks.

Gein

What sort of shipping is used on the return leg of the whole RMA process? Are e-mail notifications sent out to let us know when the fixed unit is on the way back? Thanks.

Gein

What is wrong with the unit?

Newton rings on the screen.

I'm having terrible separation anxiety from my Pandora in case you can't tell. An iphone is a poor substitute.

An iphone is a poor substitute.
th_wordsye1.gif

There are two ways that can be fixed, and you won't like either one.

The first solution is to rip off the touch screen. (no closely spaced tranparant films -> no Newtons rings)

The second method is to change the laws of physics. If you can figure out how to do that you can win the Nobel prize.

You should only be able to see Newtons rings with crummy lighting like cheap florescent lamps. You should not see them under incandescent lamps or sunlight.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that they won't be able to fix the Newtons rings if you send it back.

There are two ways that can be fixed, and you won't like either one.

The first solution is to rip off the touch screen. (no closely spaced tranparant films -> no Newtons rings)

The second method is to change the laws of physics. If you can figure out how to do that you can win the Nobel prize.

You should only be able to see Newtons rings with crummy lighting like cheap florescent lamps. You should not see them under incandescent lamps or sunlight.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that they won't be able to fix the Newtons rings if you send it back.

No, I don't expect either of those options, although changing the laws of physics would be awesome.

It is my understanding that this issue affects only a small number of LCDs. My hope is that I can just get the LCD swapped out for one that doesn't have this issue. (Unfortunately most of the places I will be using my Pandora have cruddy lighting) I hope that is an option, and if necessary I'd be happy to contribute a donation to OP to offset any RMA costs. (I plan to donate anyway once I get my Pandora back just as a way of saying thanks)

Now, with all that said, does anyone know the shipping policy on shipping back RMAs?

Wasn't that the issue that could be fixed with rice?

There was a thread about that a few days ago.

Wasn't that the issue that could be fixed with rice?

There was a thread about that a few days ago.

Yup, that was my thread. No, the rice did not fix the issue, even after sitting in the bag whenever off for over a week. I also purchased some silica gel packs to help further reduce moisture, but they didn't help any either. Ultimately it looks like the issue is a phenomenon called Newton Rings which DAP originally pointed out. The only thing the rice did was make me order Chinese food twice last week.

Since first noticing the issue I've had some of the IT installers at my job look at it and they've suggested Newton Rings as well. I'm fairly certain that is what is going on at this point. Unfortunately the problem rears its head a lot for me as I've found the Pandora to be the perfect tool for work (all industrial fluorescent lights) and at home it is a problem in about half of my rooms.

So, long story short, I'm trying an RMA as I understand this is an issue with just a relatively small number of LCD displays and the fact that I will be using the screen most often in environments that highlight this issue. Hopefully I'm not being a pest to you guys and as I've said I don't want to be a burden to the project so I plan on dropping a donation soon to offset the cost of the RMA.

So..... does anyone know the shipping method used for the return route of an RMA?

So, long story short, I'm trying an RMA as I understand this is an issue with just a relatively small number of LCD displays and the fact that I will be using the screen most often in environments that highlight this issue.

Has anyone verified that this affects a "small number of LCD displays" rather than "a small number of people use their Pandora under lighting conditions that exacerbate the problem"? Has anyone put a bunch of Pandoras together under bad lighting and seen some look better than others?

I ask this because I suspect that this is a problem with all Pandoras, and you are wasting your time trying to fix it. I think the only way to eliminate this problem would be to use a different technology for the touch screen, one that does not rely on layers of plastic stacked up over the screen.

Back