Don't want to be unreasonable

Gein07

I've debated for weeks whether or not to make a thread on this subject or not, but this morning I'm feeling brave so here goes.

I'm trying desperately to get some sort of information concerning my 6+ month RMA on a premium pandora. Despite numerous e-mails and PM's I haven't heard anything except an e-mail in June saying my Pandora arrived safely in the UK. I wound be fine with that status except there was also some confusion as to whether it was going to be sent to ED for repair or replaced outright, and the last time I checked with ED he did not have my unit. I can't confirm whether or not Craig's shop even has the unit anymore.

Anyway, I'm trying to be as respectful as possible as I realize ED and Craig must be insanely busy, but I've hit the point now that I think sending anymore e-mails or PMs would just be overkill and pestering to them. (Not that this thread isn't pestering...) So should I just put on my big boys pants and wait patiently and hope that I'm in the proper RMA queue, or is it acceptable to continue to ask for information concerning my RMA? I have to say only OP gets this sort of patience from me.... I know this is a product worth waiting for, and I would like to eventually purchase a few more Pandoras so I don't want to burn any bridges, but being in the dark for so long has been agonizing.

Thanks.

Craig received boards from CC, but they were mostly defective. My guess is your RMA needed a new board and you are just in the que until February when Global Components in Germany will be delivering new boards. You are getting a RAM upgrade for waiting.

Gein, you and I are in the same boat. If you were not aware, OPT jumped board providers, a process that is almost concluding. The new board provider in Germany should be in or close to its first production run, which will take, now, about a week. ED will then descend on the forums eventually to announce that pandoras are being made once again. When that happens, you should get your pandora back very soon.

We are also processing a lot of backlogged refunds now too, but for units which need a replacement board there is nothing we can currently do.

We will be suing CC in 2012.

We do have 7 non-wifi units which we could send you one of if you're desperate, they come with a wifi dongle.

Craig received boards from CC, but they were mostly defective. My guess is your RMA needed a new board and you are just in the que until February when Global Components in Germany will be delivering new boards. You are getting a RAM upgrade for waiting.

You might want to slow down a bit there Link. You seem to be promising people in the RMA queue for unknown reasons new boards with double RAM - nothing to that effect has come out of OpenPandora that I'm aware of.

Normal RMA procedure (other companies - I don't know how OP will handle them) is to replace RMA defects with like quality used/refurbished parts. I would expect any RMA to more likely come back repaired - with the exact same specs it was sold at. Most likely receiving a used/refurbished motherboard from a return-for-paid-upgrade unit.

The last I saw, ED was considering a board upgrade program for 260EUR to swap out -working- boards (he keeps the old one) on existing Pandoras. We don't need people thinking that if they just RMA their old Pandora they can short line that process and get a double RAM board for free. ED does not need a bunch of people intentionally shorting their boards so that they can get in the RMA queue. They need to know they will not be getting something better than what they have - or the sudden flood of RMAs would kill the project.

The only people I'm aware of who are currently in line to get the double RAM boards are those who are waiting in line for their new Pandora.

I have great sympathy for those who are waiting in long RMA lines while CraigIX and EvilDragon get things sorted out.

I hope one of them replies to Gein07's Emails &/or PMs soon.

You might want to slow down a bit there Link. You seem to be promising people in the RMA queue for unknown reasons new boards with double RAM - nothing to that effect has come out of OpenPandora that I'm aware of.

Normal RMA procedure (other companies - I don't know how OP will handle them) is to replace RMA defects with like quality used/refurbished parts. I would expect any RMA to more likely come back repaired - with the exact same specs it was sold at. Most likely receiving a used/refurbished motherboard from a return-for-paid-upgrade unit.

The last I saw, ED was considering a board upgrade program for 260EUR to swap out -working- boards (he keeps the old one) on existing Pandoras. We don't need people thinking that if they just RMA their old Pandora they can short line that process and get a double RAM board for free. ED does not need a bunch of people intentionally shorting their boards so that they can get in the RMA queue. They need to know they will not be getting something better than what they have - or the sudden flood of RMAs would kill the project.

The only people I'm aware of who are currently in line to get the double RAM boards are those who are waiting in line for their new Pandora.

I have great sympathy for those who are waiting in long RMA lines while CraigIX and EvilDragon get things sorted out.

I did say guess, I am not making any promises. But knowing the situation with boards and repairs beyond the Craig/ED level of repair, these defective boards need to go back to the board producer for a rework. I don't know if Global Components will rework boards done by Circuit Co because it is a new board design. Therefore, since Circuit Co is going to be sued by Craig, I doubt we'll be seeing them rework any of these boards.

So, being that Global Components will be producing boards with 512MB RAM, my GUESS is RMAs waiting in line will get a new board. No promises here, I'm just trying to help people along and feel more at ease about the current situation and lull in RMA turnaround.

We are also processing a lot of backlogged refunds now too, but for units which need a replacement board there is nothing we can currently do.

We will be suing CC in 2012.

We do have 7 non-wifi units which we could send you one of if you're desperate, they come with a wifi dongle.

Thanks for the Reply Craig. Yeah I'm aware it has been a rocky road and I'm grateful the project is still afloat. Wifi is definitely something I need built in though as I have a toddler that would likely try to eat the dongle if I turned my back. Thank you for the offer though. I'm fine waiting however long it takes for production to right itself as long as I know I'm somewhere in the queue to get a Pandora again.

Now, the mention of the upgraded ram has had me salivating since it was first mentioned. I can only hope that if I've been in the RMA queue this long that I'm due for a replacement board, and making one more leap of logic that means perhaps I'll get lucky and get a Pandora with upgraded ram. If that's not the case, could I somehow pay to have my RMA unit upgraded to one of the new ones? Questions questions I know.

Last edited by a moderator:

I did say guess, I am not making any promises. But knowing the situation with boards and repairs beyond the Craig/ED level of repair, these defective boards need to go back to the board producer for a rework. I don't know if Global Components will rework boards done by Circuit Co because it is a new board design. Therefore, since Circuit Co is going to be sued by Craig, I doubt we'll be seeing them rework any of these boards.

So, being that Global Components will be producing boards with 512MB RAM, my GUESS is RMAs waiting in line will get a new board. No promises here, I'm just trying to help people along and feel more at ease about the current situation and lull in RMA turnaround.

Please, continue lulling me with dreams of a 512mb Pandora!! That would be the ultimate reward for riding out the long RMA process.

Back