Questions About Preordering

Brandon72196

Still Fresh
What do I put in the initial email? And do I have to email them my credit card info? Thanks!

Your first should email asking if there are pandora's left from the 1st batch, but im sure there will be ;) . After that they'll send you all the information you need about the paying method.
Btw wellcome to the forumm!

looks like the first batch is never empty. Seems many people are cancelling and othets taking the orders again.

I just dont hope the timebomb will say boom soon. But i think evil dragon knows what wires to cut :)

marshal said:
Seriously do you often send your credit card number by mail ??
First batch can not be payed neither by credit card nor paypal. Only bank transfer for sure and may be money order, cheque or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brandon72196 said:
do I have to email them my credit card info? Thanks!
and we wonder how there is so much fraud in the world... I know you didn't actually do it, but even thinking about sending your credit card info in an email is dumb.

is there a chance hardware will be upgraded or degraded upon later batches? I Think they did this with the wiz but I can't remember

Spykez said:
is there a chance hardware will be upgraded or degraded upon later batches? I Think they did this with the wiz but I can't remember

Yes, there is always a chance. For example, at the moment (in another thread) there is a lot of speculations about the way TI seem to be repositioning the SOC that Pandora uses - producing a version that is guaranteed to run at 720MHz rather than 600MHz. This opens up many possibilities such as:

1.Pandora batch 2 will have chips guiaranteed to run faster than batch 1 ones.
2.Pandora batch 2 will have chips that can ACTUALLY run faster than some batch 1 ones (note - this is different to #1).
3.Pandora batch 2 will have chips that fail to run at 720MHz and are therefore slower than many batch 1 ones.
4.Pandora batch 4 will have 1GB of RAM onboard because TI upgraded the RAM. Oh - and 8GB of NAND.

and so on and so forth. OpenPandora have stated that they do not intend to make any revisions between batch 1 and batch 2 and... batch N, but the future is the undiscovered land - hardware changes, up or down, could be beyond their control. They have already taken advantage of one such upgrade from TI, and IIRC the RAM and NAND doubled from the original specification.

I think: in all coming batches behind batch 1 should it be garantiet that you can use the same games whit you 200000batch pandora like i whit my 1 batch one, theres no reasan to change some hardware specks, when the devs find some bugs in the software, than they make some patches, but the hardware schoult be bugfree because bugs in the hardware may cost up to the price of a pandora..

maybe in some yeahrs it will be a pandora 2, than whe have to make changes on the hardware.. B)

Monk said:
Spykez said:

Yes, there is always a chance. For example, at the moment (in another thread) there is a lot of speculations about the way TI seem to be repositioning the SOC that Pandora uses - producing a version that is guaranteed to run at 720MHz rather than 600MHz. This opens up many possibilities such as:

2.Pandora batch 2 will have chips that can ACTUALLY run faster than some batch 1 ones (note - this is different to #1).
3.Pandora batch 2 will have chips that fail to run at 720MHz and are therefore slower than many batch 1 ones.
4.Pandora batch 4 will have 1GB of RAM onboard because TI upgraded the RAM. Oh - and 8GB of NAND.

and so on and so forth. OpenPandora have stated that they do not intend to make any revisions between batch 1 and batch 2 and... batch N, but the future is the undiscovered land - hardware changes, up or down, could be beyond their control. They have already taken advantage of one such upgrade from TI, and IIRC the RAM and NAND doubled from the original specification.
They just changed the rating on the chip being used, it is still the same chip & TI won't be dropping/changing the chip itself in any way. There will not be any hardware changes between batches, it's been discussed to death.

Monk said:
Apart from the fact that TI have nothing to do with the amount of RAM onboard.

peca said:
marshal said:
Seriously do you often send your credit card number by mail ??
First batch can not be payed neither by credit card nor paypal. Only bank transfer for sure and may be money order, cheque or so.

I paid by Visa Debit card.

Monk said:
Spykez said:

OpenPandora have already stated, there will be NO CHANGES IN THE HARDWARE except for bugfixes, and those should only be firmware updates.

Enverex said:
OpenPandora have already stated, there will be NO CHANGES IN THE HARDWARE except for bugfixes, and those should only be firmware updates.
Ideally yes, but there is no guarantee that all of the Pandora's components will be available for the second go-round. Changes might have to be made that are, as Monk said, beyond their control.

OBJECTION!!!

You can pay by credit card!

so HOLD IT!!!

If you have no other option to but pay by credit card, they'll get you to pay by credit card through Google checkout. I paid by credit card.

TAKE THAT!!!

Squidge said:
Monk said:
Apart from the fact that TI have nothing to do with the amount of RAM onboard.

... even when referring to "TI", there's like one dude. and i'm sure that he doesn't have a reminder in his weekly (or monthly) calendar to get pandora updates.

midna25 said:
OBJECTION!!!

You can pay by credit card!

so HOLD IT!!!

If you have no other option to but pay by credit card, they'll get you to pay by credit card through Google checkout. I paid by credit card.

TAKE THAT!!!

2713049064_a756f5dceb.jpg

midna25 said:
OBJECTION!!!

so
HOLD IT!!!

TAKE THAT!!!
Details of payment arrangements should remain between OP Ltd and the customer for now. The option given to you may not apply to everyone, so you should consider editing your post. :) If anyone wants to know what their options are, all they have to do is send an email.

Consequence9 said:
They just changed the rating on the chip being used, it is still the same chip & TI won't be dropping/changing the chip itself in any way. There will not be any hardware changes between batches, it's been discussed to death.

Read again, mate. Possibly check the thread on the chip in this forum too - there is no guarantee that any given Pandora will be able to achieve 900MHz, much less 720MHz, but for batch 2 it is even less guaranteed. We don't know what TI will be doing with the chips in the fuiture. Not even you do. That time having not passed yet. We don't even KNOW what they are doing with the chips now, tho OP appear to be trying to find out. For example, will chips sold to OP as "600MHz" ones in future be ones that were not tested at 720MHz, or ones that failed to run at 720MHz? The former means no difference, the latter means Pandoras that may run slower than SOME (most? All?) batch 1 Pandoras.

Invisiblemoose said:
Enverex said:
Ideally yes, but there is no guarantee that all of the Pandora's components will be available for the second go-round. Changes might have to be made that are, as Monk said, beyond their control.

THANK you. Sometimes I despair, so it's nice to see people reading what I wrote.

It's also interesting to note that the hardware has already changed once since I originally preordered - doubling the amount of RAM and NAND IIRC.

Monk said:
THANK you. Sometimes I despair, so it's nice to see people reading what I wrote.

It's also interesting to note that the hardware has already changed once since I originally preordered - doubling the amount of RAM and NAND IIRC.

Changing the original spec of the machine is very different than changing the spec between batches. The first is a redesign of the original concept that effects everyone and has no relevance in the context that we were discussing.

Enverex said:
Monk said:

Changing the original spec of the machine is very different than changing the spec between batches. The first is a redesign of the original concept that effects everyone and has no relevance in the context that we were discussing.

Its relevance is that the hardware managed to change after ordering and before delivery. So during the first batch's manufacturing period. This to me only highlights that "stuff happens". There are no PLANNED changes by OpenPandora. They have made changes in the past. They or others could make changes in the future. Heck, last time I checked they hadn't even made up their minds what PSU to ship with the Pandora, despite apparently knowing what they were providing when I originally preordered nearly a year ago - and they HAVE stated that the PSU going out with the first Pandoras might not be the PSU that ships with later ones.

Changes happen with the passage of time. It has been stated over and over that there are no changes planned for the Pandora.

Back