Question About The Analogue Stick

spacedz

Still Fresh
Hi

I got an email from IWantOneOfThese.com advertising the GP2X and it looks great. Here's their page:

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/search.do?p...MP=EMC-APR_OFF4

It seems the analogue stick here is different to the standard one pictured everywhere else, e.g.

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?products_...kref=froogleuk1

So my question is: does buying it in the UK or from IWOOT mean you get a different analogue stick? If so, which is best?

I can save a bit of money buying from Play Asia but maybe the IWOOT one has a better stick?

Thanks.

It is not an analoge stick, but a digital one. and the Picture you linked looks like DaveC's replacement cap of the original stick-cap.
But if you order from Gbax (gp2x.co.uk) you will get a similar and much better stick-cap than the GPH original one as far as I know.

P.S.: Saveing a bit of money it not worth it, the service etc will more than outweight it (When will people learn :rolleyes: )

Which of the above is the best/newest - the smooth or grooved looking one?

I think IWOOT have only just put up the GP2X on their site and are offering free couriered delivery.

The one shown on IWOOT is definitly a lot better, but I am not sure if you will actually get one of these when ordering from IWOOT, as they are unofficial.
Maybe if IWOOT works together with GBAX, but then I would rather order there (or another cummunity endorsed shop depending on where you are from).

IWOOT are usually very good when it comes to images etc so it shouldn't be a problem (hopefully).

Julius posted on Apr 26 2006 at 03:39 PM said:
The one shown on IWOOT is definitly a lot better, but I am not sure if you will actually get one of these when ordering from IWOOT, as they are unofficial.
Maybe if IWOOT works together with GBAX, but then I would rather order there (or another cummunity endorsed shop depending on where you are from).
Thanks for your help Julius.

I look forward to the day when my GP2X arrives!

Last edited by a moderator:
spacedz posted on Apr 26 2006 at 04:01 PM said:
IWOOT are usually very good when it comes to images etc so it shouldn't be a problem (hopefully).

Julius posted on Apr 26 2006 at 03:39 PM said:
Thanks for your help Julius.

I look forward to the day when my GP2X arrives!

Two things strike me about the IWOOT GP: their picture shows what appears to be Dave C's Get a Grip joystick and I can't imagine that they've struck a deal with Dave. Good for him if they have though and the picture is therefore accurate. But others have pointed out that fact.

Something else that I spotted is that IWOOT are saying that the GP is true plug-and-play. I would contest that: the reason it's not mainstream is that anyone who just wants to pick it up and play it isn't going to buy it. I can't see Currys.digital selling it for the simple reason that they'd have a stream of people going to them with the kind of questions that are asked in these forums.

Just a final thought: is the plural of "forum" "forums" or "fora"?

Edit: to second Julius, I too got my GP2X from GBAX and found the service to be excellent. The GP came with the original stick but I bought one of Dave C's replacements and my GP2X is now perfect.

Hi,

Just ordered a GP2X from GP2X.co.uk this morning. Called them to edit the order and the nice lady there asked if I wanted to wait a day for despatch as they will recieve the new style joystick caps...

I just wanted to get my hands dirty so declined and asked them to forward me one.

I have no idea which style of cap it is though, just thought I'd add it to the mix.

BTW I'm new. HI! :p

IWOOT are selling it? That's really quite good.

1) The stick is digital, it has switches. It's 8-way, or 16-way using software methods.

2) The stick cap you see there is DaveC's. It isn't a replacement stick, just a new cap. It handles better than the standard one.

3) The 'plug-and-play' statement may have come from this, on the GP2X Distributor page on GBAX:

[quote name='GBAX']We now believe the GP2X has reached a stage in its development that it is ready for the mainstream, it is now easy to use and very 'Plug and Play'.[/quote]

Firmware 2.0 is much more plug and play, and the caps are the new caps which we have been supplying for about 2 weeks now.

They are custom made and have the gp2x logo on them.

I will put the caps on gp2x.co.uk for £1 on friday.

craigix posted on Apr 26 2006 at 07:14 PM said:
I will put the caps on gp2x.co.uk for £1 on friday.

Yaaaaay!

I hope it's not with £6.95 next day delivery only :eek:

Back