Question about porting

eomonkeyboi24

Still Fresh
Hi all,

I have been anxious about the pandora for a long time now, but one question came to me. Ok, so how hard will it be to install programs and applications onto the pandora? I know it is linux-based but I have seen so many different types of linux-based operating systems on the pandora (like 3 or 4) that I don't know what to do. When I get my pandora will I be able to plug my sd card in and download a program via firefox, then install it or will it be more complex than that? I have never used the ARM system before so I don't know what I'm in for. I have some knowledge with linux as I have used it for the past 10 years. But I can't concentrate enough to learn any language like C++ or anything of that sort. Thanks for the feedback! :)

Pandora's official OS will be Angstrom Linux with the PND / PXML extensions.

Installing something will be as simple as downloading a compressed file onto your SD card. The Pandora's menu programs will automatically detect the PXML and automatically launch any properly formed executable on there.

The worst you'll encounter is some lazy amateur developer like me who just throws a gzip file into the air and says, "run this!"
For that, you'll just need to unzip it and run the executable.

It will be much simpler than Debian-based installation. It will be more like copy-and-paste than all this actual "installation" crap that most operating systems make you jump through. [And for every little application, too...]

Sweet! Thanks a bunch! I hate Debian installs and I would much rather love the copy and paste style. :) Well I for sure will be ordering from the second batch unless the first one gets postponed longer and I can sneak into that one. I won't have the money until the end of next month since I am a minor and have a low paying job LOL.

Xian Long said:
most cell phones that don't run windows mobile are probably ARM based.
Yea I know that, but none of them unlike the g1 don't really implicate linux based Operating Systems into the phone.

Back