Quake Live.. Wishful thinking?

GiraffeeDreams

Always Dreaming
OK so I just signed back into Quake Live for the first time in ages, knowing it works on Linux and with Firefox, is there any way it would work on the Pandora?

I'm expecting to be shot down but I thought I'd give it a go anyway, I tried to download the plugin but the site doesn't seem to see it as installed, any ideas? or is the Pandoras version of Firefox just incompatible?

I wasn't aware that this worked on Linux yet :eek:

I would have thought that it would play very slowly, if at all. I think the Quake ports to the Pandora needed quite a lot of tweaking before they run at a decent enough framerate to make the game fully playable? It's a very fast game after all.

Hope I'm wrong though :)

well quake 3 seems to run pretty quick, I've not noticed any lag against a few CPU opponents, the only thing that'd slow it down is that it's browser based (if I'm wrong please say) and you'll need Firefox running.

It'd be nice to have a game of quake against the rest of the community :)

I remember Sauerbraten from a long time ago, would that work on the Pandora? And I adore Quake III Arena too, in fact my first ever online ID for xbox live (way back when Halo 2 had just come out) was Klesk.

I wasn't aware that this worked on Linux yet :eek:

I would have thought that it would play very slowly, if at all. I think the Quake ports to the Pandora needed quite a lot of tweaking before they run at a decent enough framerate to make the game fully playable? It's a very fast game after all.

Hope I'm wrong though :)

They had a Linux client ready only a few weeks after the Windows client, It worked pretty good in fact... I played it fine on an old Intel core due laptop with accelerated Intel graphics.

Quake live requires a binary to be installed to the PC, there are specific Windows/Linux ones, So my guess without iD themselves compiling an ARM version it's not going to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I remember asking about this a long time ago. The QL binary is ATM X86 only, so no, unfortunately. It's a pity, since I think it would run nicely.

Back