What About Quake Live?

ninjamonkey

Still Fresh
Recently idgames opened the beta of quake live. Quake III arena online I believe run through a website and its free to play. You just sign on to the website and play off that website. Would the pandora be able to play it?

'ninjamonkey' said:
Recently idgames opened the beta of quake live. Quake III arena online I believe run through a website and its free to play. You just sign on to the website and lpay off that website. Would the pndora be able to play it?
It requires a plugin that is basically the executable and I would bet it is platform-dependent, so probably not.

Others: please, no 6-page rant again!

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is coded for x86 computers, no the Pandora cannot play it without source code and recompiling.

'lulzfish' said:
"Would the pandora be able to play it?"

CODE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rpDgucVN5M
his question was much less stupid than 90 percent of ones that pop up here, or your video

'cbox' said:
If it is coded for x86 computers, no the Pandora cannot play it without source code and recompiling.
I doubt that it's possible, but I seem to recall something about being able to run Quake III on the Pandora. I should look into that, because I thought that somebody had gotten it running on ARM or thought it was possible.

The source for Quake III has been available for a few years, so if this uses that engine, then it may be possible.

ninjamonkey said:
Recently idgames opened the beta of quake live. Quake III arena online I believe run through a website and its free to play. You just sign on to the website and play off that website. Would the pandora be able to play it?
IF iD decides to make a Pandora version from the Linux version, yes. Otherwise (which is the likely answer here...) no. The machine itself has the oomph to play it, but lacking a native binary plugin like they're doing for MacOS and Linux, it's just not going to happen.

hedwards said:
The source for Quake III has been available for a few years, so if this uses that engine, then it may be possible.
Heh... I doubt that they're using the same exact wireline protocol that the ioquake3 engine is using- if they're not, you're going to have to at least reverse engineer that much and they might not be happy w/you over that.

I'd advise NOT doing it- getting into pissing matches with someone who's given us as much as he has and didn't have to is ill-advised and this could be doing it.

As far as I know it uses the ActiveX plugin for a start, and there's also the fact that it needs a minimum resolution of 1024x768.
Basically NO! :(

It would be a good idea if whom ever is porting Quake 3 to the Pandora could try to make it compatible for on-line play against this though, as there will be plenty of opponents to choose from and it seems to have a fairly good skill matching system included. Maybe a quick email to the devs will yield some useful results?

kollau said:
Yet, a Linux version is being developed (English Wikipedia)
Linux is an OS. Having said this, the Linux version is an X86 version, which will NOT run on the Pandora. It'd have to be recompiled for Cortex-A8 and OpenGL ES for it to work. We're only 4K potential users. iD doesn't consider anything less than about 20k units sold as being "more money", so it's highly unlikely that you're going to see this happening without someone with their foot in iD's door to sweet-talk them into making it happen.

'Svartalf' said:
'hedwards' said:
Heh... I doubt that they're using the same exact wireline protocol that the ioquake3 engine is using- if they're not, you're going to have to at least reverse engineer that much and they might not be happy w/you over that.

I'd advise NOT doing it- getting into pissing matches with someone who's given us as much as he has and didn't have to is ill-advised and this could be doing it.

Historically they haven't had any problems with doing that, as long as the game requires the data files be taken from a purchased copy. It's been done more than a few times. They haven't really cared about mods and things which don't affect their bottom line.

Not that I think it's worth the effort.

hedwards said:
Historically they haven't had any problems with doing that, as long as the game requires the data files be taken from a purchased copy. It's been done more than a few times. They haven't really cared about mods and things which don't affect their bottom line.
1) They don't support mods with this one.
2) It's paid for by advertisements. Dinking with this in the wrong way will affect their bottom line.

It's not worth it for reason 2. Wanna see them come down on you like a ton of bricks? Risk that ad stream on this, even if only in perception.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
As far as I know it uses the ActiveX plugin for a start, and there's also the fact that it needs a minimum resolution of 1024x768.
Only the Windows version does that. There are Mac and Linux versions on the way- just not available yet.

It would be a good idea if whom ever is porting Quake 3 to the Pandora could try to make it compatible for on-line play against this though, as there will be plenty of opponents to choose from and it seems to have a fairly good skill matching system included. Maybe a quick email to the devs will yield some useful results?

In an earlier remark, I indicate the revenue source for QuakeLive. They'll have changed up the wireline protocol (if only slightly) so as to make it incompatible with Q3:A to prevent people from linking up save through the proscribed method to ensure that revenue stream. Moreover, reverse engineering the wireline and making Q3:A work with it will very likely be deemed an assault on their revenue stream for this and will be treated as such.

As nice as the thing is and as nice as they've been to us, I'd hate for it to turn ugly because we felt entitled to it when really we're not.

AFAIK(from guys close to id), Quake Live is essentially Q3A with some minor enhancements here and there(like ad support), and the netcode has little change, besides a bump up in the network protocol number, as well as the BSP protocol number. Both the client and server have to have matching protocol numbers in order to initiate a connection.

Short answer is:
ID would have to do it.

They would have to release a Linux ARM Version. It's not impossible. But having native Quake3 is the better way for the pandora. Otherwise, you would have to start firefox (which uses ressources) to play a game which runs natively anyway.

'Balzac2m' said:
But having native Quake3 is the better way for the pandora. Otherwise, you would have to start firefox (which uses ressources) to play a game which runs natively anyway.
+1 kudos point

Seriously, Q3 running natively will be a burner among Pandora owners. I think a few thousand potential players are enough for online gameplay. And, i personally don't play with everyone, considering that quake live can be played by everyone just makes it less attractive. Brings up bad memories from Phantasy Star Online *shudder*

'kuru' said:
'Balzac2m' said:
But having native Quake3 is the better way for the pandora. Otherwise, you would have to start firefox (which uses ressources) to play a game which runs natively anyway.
+1 kudos point

Seriously, Q3 running natively will be a burner among Pandora owners. I think a few thousand potential players are enough for online gameplay. And, i personally don't play with everyone, considering that quake live can be played by everyone just makes it less attractive. Brings up bad memories from Phantasy Star Online *shudder*

Playing on a Pandora against people using a big screen, keyboard and mouse, is also quite, well, unfair. A Pandora-only server would be awesome. :D :p

isn't Quake Live a game with the Quake 3 Engine? I thought, games with the Quake 3 engine should work on the Pandora.

'Serenity' said:
isn't Quake Live a game with the Quake 3 Engine? I thought, games with the Quake 3 engine should work on the Pandora.
How did you come to this conclusion? Only open games will work. The client to quake live is not open, so nogo.

'Serenity' said:
The engine isn't the entire game. Some (possibly MOST) of the code that makes the game a game is not open, and therefore not recompileable for the Pandora.

Unless ID releases the source for Quake Live or ports it themselves, this game will not run on the Pandora.

Back