Qtopia For Permanent Interface?

sure that we need to kill qtopia ?
iirc, it takes quite some time to restart on my Zaurus, nothing really desirable from a long term point of view...

What about using "nice" ? that might help, and while we're at it, what about an AND port ? this could improve preformance for lots of stuff...
(btw, nice is to linux what process priority is to windows)

Also, in order to prevent stuff from running the gp2xmenu, you probably would simply have to replace the /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu (right?) executable with a script that launches/resumes QT

ps_ posted on Mar 10 2006 at 08:42 AM said:
sure that we need to kill qtopia ?
iirc, it takes quite some time to restart on my Zaurus, nothing really desirable from a long term point of view...

What about using "nice" ? that might help, and while we're at it, what about an AND port ? this could improve preformance for lots of stuff...
(btw, nice is to linux what process priority is to windows)

And what is the memory footprint of qtopia? I'm not sure all games/emulators will run with qtopia still in the background...
I personnaly prefere a simple/minimal interface.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally think the menu should always be exited when loading a game, but, if we get the right applications, it should be possible to run PDA-programs like wordprocessing/editor and music at the same time (as an example).
-> Multitasking for PDA-like operations
-> Monotasking for CPU-intensive games/movies, kill and rejoin the GUI
I have to say it once more, EEM would be a real eyecandy, but I really dont know how much CPU it consumes.
Wouldn't it be possible to modify QTopia/GPE/EEM in a way so they are able to work with less mouse-interaction?

The Spider Mastermind posted on Mar 10 2006 at 05:31 PM said:
Why is everyone so anti-mouse interface? Windups used a cursor, and it worked really well.
It works well. Just less well than a non mouse interface.

qtopia is great fpr pda stuff... it works really good on the go and a pda for free is great ;)
the normal gp2x controls are enough for me and work if you just want to open a website or edit a text, test something with the console.
with keyboard and mouse and tv you could really us it as pc if your in hotel or at friends house..
but i dont think its a replacement, qtopia eats much power and its not wise running this in the background... of other resource eating apps like emulators or games.
i woul like to have a option while launching the gp2x, like if you press a while loading it will go straight to qtopia or something like that.

OmarNawaz posted on Mar 10 2006 at 12:19 AM said:
isnt qtopia just a interface so shoudnt all the apps emu homebrew work if we just have a script that kills qtopia?

qtopia should definetly be the permanent interface once we incorporate the mplayer and tvout into it it will kick asss

will be the best and cheapest pda in the worldddddd
Except for the fact it has no touchscreen, WiFi, internal battery to keep time... you get the picture. And Palm make several PDAs cheaper that are much more suited to being PDAs.

The GP2X is not about to become a PDA. It was designed as a games machine, it is meant to be used as a games machine. I like all this Qtopia stuff, truly, but trying to make a games machine into a PDA is not easy and the results aren't exactly desirable. Of course, feel free to make PDA-style, organiser-type apps but the GP2X is not and will never be a replacement for any PDA. It will not be the cheapest nor the best PDA in the world. Ever.

And mplayer can't be incorporated into Qtopia until we get source due to its lack of command-line interface (though you could still just run it from /usr/gp2x).

nickspoon posted on Mar 10 2006 at 12:26 PM said:
OmarNawaz posted on Mar 10 2006 at 12:19 AM said:
isnt qtopia just a interface so shoudnt all the apps emu homebrew work if we just have a script that kills qtopia?

qtopia should definetly be the permanent interface once we incorporate the mplayer and tvout into it it will kick asss

will be the best and cheapest pda in the worldddddd
Except for the fact it has no touchscreen, WiFi, internal battery to keep time... you get the picture. And Palm make several PDAs cheaper that are much more suited to being PDAs.

The GP2X is not about to become a PDA. It was designed as a games machine, it is meant to be used as a games machine. I like all this Qtopia stuff, truly, but trying to make a games machine into a PDA is not easy and the results aren't exactly desirable. Of course, feel free to make PDA-style, organiser-type apps but the GP2X is not and will never be a replacement for any PDA. It will not be the cheapest nor the best PDA in the world. Ever.

And mplayer can't be incorporated into Qtopia until we get source due to its lack of command-line interface (though you could still just run it from /usr/gp2x).

Dude. Settle down. You may not want to use the GP2X as a pda but from the majority of the responses in this thread and the other qtopia thread, it appears there is quite a lot of people who would love to use it as a PDA. I am all for making it the standard interface, as currently the GP2X interface we have now makes me want to puke. When I show people the interface they think it's way to basic (look at the PSP).

I love Linux, I used it as my desktop for over 2 years.. but I am not against the mouse driven GUI type interfaces, especially when they are very nice to look at. Want it or not, this is not just a gaming machine. This is a portable media player which runs a very capable OS with an almost unlimited amount of features. One, being a PDA. When I bought my GP2X, I was hoping that this was going to happen, because I've gone through so many PDAs looking for one that has a great form factor and has really good emulation that I feel I've owned almost every model out there. LOL :p

So in closing, I think a PDA with network capabilities, and an open source platform, a huge comminity/user base, tons of emulators and homebrew games, as well as a perfect music/movie player is the ultimate goal for the GP2X in my eyes. Thank you.

I Want to try QTopia :( but it :angry: don't work... It start but when i press anythink it's block :blink:

Hanz™ posted on Mar 10 2006 at 11:42 AM said:
The Spider Mastermind posted on Mar 10 2006 at 05:31 PM said:
Why is everyone so anti-mouse interface? Windups used a cursor, and it worked really well.
It works well. Just less well than a non mouse interface.
Agreed.

Wolfspirit posted on Mar 10 2006 at 06:18 PM said:
Dude. Settle down. You may not want to use the GP2X as a pda but from the majority of the responses in this thread and the other qtopia thread, it appears there is quite a lot of people who would love to use it as a PDA. I am all for making it the standard interface, as currently the GP2X interface we have now makes me want to puke. When I show people the interface they think it's way to basic (look at the PSP).

I love Linux, I used it as my desktop for over 2 years.. but I am not against the mouse driven GUI type interfaces, especially when they are very nice to look at. Want it or not, this is not just a gaming machine. This is a portable media player which runs a very capable OS with an almost unlimited amount of features. One, being a PDA. When I bought my GP2X, I was hoping that this was going to happen, because I've gone through so many PDAs looking for one that has a great form factor and has really good emulation that I feel I've owned almost every model out there. LOL :p

So in closing, I think a PDA with network capabilities, and an open source platform, a huge comminity/user base, tons of emulators and homebrew games, as well as a perfect music/movie player is the ultimate goal for the GP2X in my eyes. Thank you.
You have a valid point, but I'm still not seeing why people would buy the GP2X as a PDA-replacement (which was what I was getting at). You have a simple choice. A PDA, designed for organiser functions, e-mail and the like, with a touchscreen and all sorts of connectivity, with the occasional game or movie (I'm sure there are plenty of people here who use PDAs regularly for games and movies, but the majority of people use it mainly for organiser functions). Or a GP2X, designed for games, movies, music and possibly the occasional browsing the internet, currency conversion, checking e-mails, and other PDA-esque functions. Yes there's a slight overlap, but the two devices are in very different leagues. It's not really right to expect one to be better than the other in what the other was designed for. Not at all. So yes, I can see why people may want the occasional PDA functionality, but the want of this being a major influence in purchase is really just silly.

What I'm getting at here is it depends on your point of view whether you buy a PDA or a GP2X, as they're designed for two completely different objectives.

I thought myself about that PC-rplacement thing, I like it very well too, who else can say today he has got a mobile smaller-than-laptop dualcore system? [okok you just shouldnt mention it runs on 200Mhz ;D]

If the hardware clock is able to stay on while the unit is off, which I doubt, it could display reminders and function as an alert too, but even without this functionality, a decent editor and/or wordprocessing would be cool to use.
In addition with the TV-Out (I remember again, 720x is max for videos, but the MMSP is capable of 1024x resolutions (dunno if its really working but the spec sheet says it) so you could really have a use for your (HD!)TV-Screen) and a chatboard/keyboard you would have some kind of office PC in your pocket, which is definately a useful thing.

maybe i was just a tad over enthusiastic with my post

obv the gp2x wouldnt be the perfect PDA for most people but for me it would be

Ive been trying to have pocket computer device with decent interface since 1995 when i tore apart my acer subnotebook and made myself the first tablet esque pc ever man was it a frankenstein lookin thing with the guts of a snes pad melted on in places

Fast forward 11years and now have a smaller version of my frankenstein Acer laptop that fits in my pocket man people were amazed by it back then funny how things change so quickly

lux posted on Mar 10 2006 at 07:17 PM said:
I Want to try QTopia :( but it :angry: don't work... It start but when i press anythink it's block :blink:

Do you mean when you try to move the cursor it doesn't move? If that's what you mean, then just press buttons randomly and keep moving the joystick, it will start working.

Back