Gp2x, Questions Before Purchase!

Zicho

Still Fresh
Hello everyone.

I have for a kind of long time been checking GP2X out, and now (or at least soon when I have tha cash) I plan to buy it, but there are a few things I want iron out first.

1. If I want to watch an avi-file, do I need to convert it or anything before I put it on my SD Card or Flash Memory?

2. I want to make the movie-files as small as possible, is there any good program for converting them to a 320x240 resolution? I am running Linux, so no windows stuff, please.

3. Is it possible to connect it to a wireless network and access the internet through a web browser in Qtopia/GPE?

4. Is the default music and movie players good, or should I consider getting new ones?

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could answer these questions!

Best regards, Zicho.

Zicho posted on Dec 20 2006 at 10:27 PM said:
Hello everyone.

I have for a kind of long time been checking GP2X out, and now (or at least soon when I have tha cash) I plan to buy it, but there are a few things I want iron out first.

1. If I want to watch an avi-file, do I need to convert it or anything before I put it on my SD Card or Flash Memory?

No - AVIs should play fine

2. I want to make the movie-files as small as possible, is there any good program for converting them to a 320x240 resolution? I am running Linux, so no windows stuff, please.

See http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/GP2X/rip.htm for some details - mencoder will do it, or transcode - dvd::rip provides a nice front end. There are probably other ways - I'm still learning on this one myself

3. Is it possible to connect it to a wireless network and access the internet through a web browser in Qtopia/GPE?

I believe so, yes. I have seen reports of both some USB wifi sticks, and SDIO wifi working.

4. Is the default music and movie players good, or should I consider getting new ones?

I'm guessing that's a matter of opinion. They are "good enough", but there are others.

HTH

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick answer! I appreciate it. But do you know for sure if a USB Wireless Adapter works?

I don't get it, do you need to fix all that stuff that says there or do you just need to buy the adaptor and plug it in?

Like... this is really confusing. Some people say that you can just "plug and play" wifi USB adaptors if you have FW 2.0, but some people claim that you need to mess around with stuff. I don't know what to think, but if anyone knew, i would be glad to have answers for these questions!

1. Is it possible just to plug in a compatible USB wifi adaptor, and it will work with no messing around with stuff?

2. If yes, is there a list of compatible wifi adaptors?

3. If yes on the first question, does it work properly?

4. Do you need a breakout board or can you just plug it into the regular USB?

I woul greatly appreciate answers for these questions, I try to search but everyone says different things. If someone with experience from what im asking could answer me that'll be great.

Zicho posted on Dec 20 2006 at 11:19 PM said:
I don't get it, do you need to fix all that stuff that says there or do you just need to buy the adaptor and plug it in?

Like... this is really confusing. Some people say that you can just "plug and play" wifi USB adaptors if you have FW 2.0, but some people claim that you need to mess around with stuff. I don't know what to think, but if anyone knew, i would be glad to have answers for these questions!

1. Is it possible just to plug in a compatible USB wifi adaptor, and it will work with no messing around with stuff?

2. If yes, is there a list of compatible wifi adaptors?

3. If yes on the first question, does it work properly?

4. Do you need a breakout board or can you just plug it into the regular USB?

I woul greatly appreciate answers for these questions, I try to search but everyone says different things. If someone with experience from what im asking could answer me that'll be great.
1. No
2. I'm fairly certain there are only drivers available for one chipset, so in a way, yes.
3. -
4. You do need a breakout board, yes.

Contrary to what Orkie said, I believe that the guy on the 2nd link I posted is selling USB Host Cables that run off the EXT port, without need of a Breakout Board, but you will need one or the other I believe.

As far as I remember, and from earlier discussions we had here:

1) SDIO wi fi cards are impossible to run on GP2X at this moment, not a hardware limitation, but there are no open surce drivers for them to port, in fact, and to spare you the time, none of the SDIO additions that exist have open source drivers (some of these additions are so interesting, they provide TV/FM Radio, Bluetooth and Ethernet.
2) A wi fi stick needs more power than what the nice USB host cable Richard Taylor provides, that is why you will need a BOB with a power adaptor.
3) Trust me I have tried surfing the web on a non touch screen that has the same size as GP2X, it will only lead to frustration.

If anyone believes am wrong, please feel free to correct me.

Welcome to the community Zicho :)

Back