What's New?

queso

Still Fresh
Hey everyone,

I'm glad to see everything going so strong, and that the 2x has seen some major positive coverage since I was last playing with it. I've been traveling the country for the past long while, and I was curious how things are going for the gp2x. I got my gp2x right before I left, there wasn't that much out for it, and there wasn't enough usability that warranted me bringing it over my PSP. So I was just kind of wondering what's new since I've been out of the loop. I see 2.0FW is out and that's downloaded to be installed, I also see alot of progress with the emus which is nice. What's stability and usability at right now? I know it's always been stable and usable, but I'm talking about for someone who will pound this thing into the ground and expect no bugs. I know that's picky, but I get the feeling that is where we are at now. I'm searching it right now, and seeing some great things, just wanted opinions :) Thanks

for some reason.. unless you're a really well known user, people don't really like "hi! i'm back! what's new?" threads... which perhaps explains the lack of replies. ^^;;

anyway, i've been away for a while too. come to think of it i didn't really understand your post. :blink: xD but my advice to you is to go on mIRC, or just browse the forums. you'll probably find what youre looking for..

I wouldn't ordinarily do this but when I was in basic training and missed all the damn news due to the speed these forums move at (For better or worse) it drove me nuts trying to catch up.

erhem. :)

Firmware 2.0.0 is out and fixes most of the major issues. The system is quite stable though some of the included programs are buggy like the video and photo viewer but they are still fully usable. You're not going to see perfect end user ease of use e.g. hand it to your grandmother and expect her to be playing NeoGeo games in 20 minutes. It's still the sort of thing that requires a bit of effort and some research; hell, just knowing to use NiMHs and not alkaline cells is something you need to learn on your own really, unless they are shipping with GuyFawkes' guide now (I heard they were from some places like GBAX.) That said it is quite easy to get everything up and running.

Personally I find it quite effortless to just whip out my GP2X (that doesn't sound right.) and watch a video, listen to some OGGs or Mp3s, play some MegaDrive, NES, SMS/GG, NeoGeo or SNES games, view some photos or run my own homebrew applications. With FW v2.0.0 there is really no obstrtuction to just grabbing it and using it.

Back