Pyra speakers

Eight Bit

Hardcore Member
Website
Visit site
Hi!

I was wondering wether a choice had been made already in regards to the speakers that will be used in the Pyra.
I love my Pandora's audio quality but to be honest, the speakers leave  a lot to be desired. In fact, with the volume wheel all the way up,  (at the same distance) my headphones plugged into my Pandora generate louder and better quality sound than the Pandora speakers when no headphone is connected. My HTC one phone's sound output is a staggering 15dB louder than my Pandora with smaller speakers but my Pandora can drive the headphones much louder than my phone.
My guess is that the Pandora speakers are of horrible quality or did I miss something somewhere?
I hope Ed found something better. I searched the forum for any information about this but couldn't find any maybe someone knows more?

Speakers have been decided and the case is designed as per speaker mfg. recommendations. They should be better than the pandora ones, and iirc ED has also mentioned this.

Speakers have been decided and the case is designed as per speaker mfg. recommendations. They should be better than the pandora ones, and iirc ED has also mentioned this.

That's good to know! I don't recall reading anything from Ed about this but I might have missed it.
Is there some spec sheet and/or freq response charts I can look at?

I don't expect the speaker drivers to be significantly different to the ones on the Pandora - they'll still be based on a mini coil and magnet arrangement, and there's only so much latitude you get with a speaker device like that so small.

Where the Pyra should improve on the Pandora is that it has a resonant cavity designed into the case behind the drivers, which should boost the low midrange/high bass frequencies sufficiently to counter the inherent tinniness of the driver leading to a more rounded sound. I'm not sure that will actually make it actually any louder, but perhaps the amp will be configured differently this time round, and perhaps a less tinny sound will sound perceptually louder anyway.

Where the Pyra should improve on the Pandora is that it has a resonant cavity designed into the case behind the drivers, which should boost the low midrange/high bass frequencies sufficiently to counter the inherent tinniness of the driver leading to a more rounded sound.

Is that a fact? I hadnt read that. That does sound pretty awesome, hopefully a bit more bass gets added.

That's good to know! I don't recall reading anything from Ed about this but I might have missed it.
Is there some spec sheet and/or freq response charts I can look at?
Really? you want frequency response charts and spec sheets on bulk manufactured speakers with ~1 cm drivers held in <2cc of plastic cabinet.

Bass is going to fall off rapidly the lower it goes.  Mids will be OK.  Highs will be OK.  It will sound better than the Pandora.  It will suck in comparison to any 'boom box' or 'gamer audio laptop' or most portable TVs, radios, etc.  Hopefully it will be on par or better than the outward facing speakers on most modern cell phones.

The above paragraph is based on simple physics.  To produce bass, a device must move air.  That is why 12" and larger woofers and sub-woofers exist.  They're rapidly oscillating air movers.  Do not expect a 1 cm speaker to thump.

I do expect the headphone audio to be nothing short of phenomenal.  I.e. Pandora quality or better.

Not real bass but some body would be nice.
I think specs are super important, especially with little speakers like that. It's a real usable feature if the speakers are good.
Maybe freq response charts are too much to ask but it would be nice to know a bit more about it.
Materials used, impedance, filters, enclosure, everything matters. The sound is only as good as the weakest link in the chain..

I mentioned my HTC One phone before, the speakers in that phone go so loud, and sound so clear, it's amazing when you're taking their size into account. I'd like something like that for my Pyra :)

Ofcourse I share your expectations in regards to headphone audio too ;)

Back