What About Decibel Of The Speakers?

'x68000' said:
zodttd won't know, i don't even think he has a dev board as he was not all that interested in Pandora. MWeston is the best guy to speak to!
He does have a dev board, and from what i've seen on his website/youtube channel and psx4pandora emulator (which fully playing games at decent speed) he has put a massive amount of time and effort into it.

wp Zodttd

Infact, it was his youtube video of FFVII on the pandora that introduced me to this project. i was doing my yearly online check to see if FFVII was out for any handhelds.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do they sound with the lid closed coz I'm using it as a MP3 player/no screen for 100 hours :)

200db would be awesome :p i put on the 17khz ringtone and every window cracks in the neigboorhood :p

i guess il need to find out when i receive my pandora^^

'gp32rich' said:
How do they sound with the lid closed coz I'm using it as a MP3 player/no screen for 100 hours :)
Well, even if that doesn't work out as far as the speakers are concerned, you could always get the X-mini capsule speaker. Costs $25, and gives you great sound. I believe the X-Mini II (which is supposed to have a louder sound) just came out and is going for around $30-35.

-God Ginrai

MWeston said:
Extrapolating from the datasheet and applying to the power supplied by Pandora, I get: SPL: 91dB, 0.2W/0.1M, 1Khz

The speakers aren't crazy loud, but are fairly strong. I tried a number of speakers to find one that provided a rather flat frequency response curve and a lower resonant frequency. I was hoping to get a sound that wasn't too 'tinny' and had enough midbass to make guitar notes sound full. The speakers we are using fit the bill, but they are still just tiny little speakers so its not going to be a mind blowing experience or anything.

When I am testing things, I tend to listen to music with the volume all the way up. Some louder songs are a bit much for me, but most music is fairly comfortable. The sound of reloading a gun in Quake is a little sharp and loud enough that I back the volume down a bit. Overall, I wouldn't plan on using the speakers on a noisy bus or anything like that. The volume is comparable to my PSP-1000, DS lite and even the GP2X F-100 I have here. The volume is no where near as loud as the iPhone when you have your hand cupped around the speaker hole in the right way (which amplifies the sound greatly) but that's what a million dollars of engineering resources will get you.

In this vein, do you happen to know what speakers the Blackberry Bold uses? I have to admit they are the best speakers I've ever heard in a portable device and they easily trump larger devices such as my laptop which is very strange (considering the size of the screen and battery compartment they must also be tiny or a very, very strange shape).

Back