What About Decibel Of The Speakers?

borgqueenx

Website
gdteam.net
I really hope the pandora console will have decent sound quality. about as loud as the psp, or even louder. i dont hope this console will have desame speakers like a ds lite...they just suck :p

anyone got some info about this? i couldnt find any...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the guys who own a prototype have said it sounds great. Also, we know for a fact that the DAC (Burr-brown) in the Pandora is great, so there won't be a problem with sound quality. In fact, it will probably replace everything I own as music player. There have also been a couple of videos (as least one with sonic running) where the speakers have been demonstrated, but it's hard to hear over a video... I think we just should trust the ears of the ones who have spoken about the matter, as it will probably sound really nice.
I haven't got a clue about how loud they are (in dBs), so I hope someone will fill in here.

'GuSec' said:
Well the guys who own a prototype have said it sounds great. Also, we know for a fact that the DAC (Burr-brown) in the Pandora is great, so there won't be a problem with sound quality. In fact, it will probably replace everything I own as music player. There have also been a couple of videos (as least one with sonic running) where the speakers have been demonstrated, but it's hard to hear over a video... I think we just should trust the ears of the ones who have spoken about the matter, as it will probably sound really nice.
I haven't got a clue about how loud they are (in dBs), so I hope someone will fill in here.
thanks for the reply. but i still would like to know about the volume. how much decibel it got. or a compare with a other device. maby we can ask zodttd?

zodttd won't know, i don't even think he has a dev board as he was not all that interested in Pandora. MWeston is the best guy to speak to!

zodttd is interested in pandora for sure. i remember that he made a post that he received his pandora, and he was really happy about it and was very interested in it.
It was on his own site.

until they're heard fixed in a case, no-one will know

It's fine talking about DAC this and output that, but the case affects the sounds as much as the speakers

'gp32rich' said:

It's fine talking about DAC this and output that, but the case affects the sounds as much as the speakers
Craigix's video looked like it had speakers, given the small round dark areas visible through the opaque case.

'BackAssward' said:
'gp32rich' said:

Craigix's video looked like it had speakers, given the small round dark areas visible through the opaque case.

if no info is released, cant we ask the devs for info about decibel and quality?
becouse if the pandora got sound quality like the ds lite, it would make me a little bit sad. But if it got sound quality like the psp or even better, i'd be happy enough :) only problem is that even the psp aint going loud enough.

Extrapolating from the datasheet and applying to the power supplied by Pandora, I get: SPL: 91dB, 0.2W/0.1M, 1Khz

The speakers aren't crazy loud, but are fairly strong. I tried a number of speakers to find one that provided a rather flat frequency response curve and a lower resonant frequency. I was hoping to get a sound that wasn't too 'tinny' and had enough midbass to make guitar notes sound full. The speakers we are using fit the bill, but they are still just tiny little speakers so its not going to be a mind blowing experience or anything.

When I am testing things, I tend to listen to music with the volume all the way up. Some louder songs are a bit much for me, but most music is fairly comfortable. The sound of reloading a gun in Quake is a little sharp and loud enough that I back the volume down a bit. Overall, I wouldn't plan on using the speakers on a noisy bus or anything like that. The volume is comparable to my PSP-1000, DS lite and even the GP2X F-100 I have here. The volume is no where near as loud as the iPhone when you have your hand cupped around the speaker hole in the right way (which amplifies the sound greatly) but that's what a million dollars of engineering resources will get you.

'MWeston' said:
Extrapolating from the datasheet and applying to the power supplied by Pandora, I get: SPL: 91dB, 0.2W/0.1M, 1Khz

The speakers aren't crazy loud, but are fairly strong. I tried a number of speakers to find one that provided a rather flat frequency response curve and a lower resonant frequency. I was hoping to get a sound that wasn't too 'tinny' and had enough midbass to make guitar notes sound full. The speakers we are using fit the bill, but they are still just tiny little speakers so its not going to be a mind blowing experience or anything.

When I am testing things, I tend to listen to music with the volume all the way up. Some louder songs are a bit much for me, but most music is fairly comfortable. The sound of reloading a gun in Quake is a little sharp and loud enough that I back the volume down a bit. Overall, I wouldn't plan on using the speakers on a noisy bus or anything like that. The volume is comparable to my PSP-1000, DS lite and even the GP2X F-100 I have here. The volume is no where near as loud as the iPhone when you have your hand cupped around the speaker hole in the right way (which amplifies the sound greatly) but that's what a million dollars of engineering resources will get you.
i think my psp goes louder then my iPhone 3g(what do you mean hold your hand at the speaker?) and i dont think it is 91db, that would be crazy...and awesome:p
90db is about the sound of a chainsaw.

91dB is probably either the Signal / Noise ratio [which means you can't hear any noise if your volume is below that of a chainsaw] or, more likely, it's measured impossibly close to the speaker.

decibels are not a direct measure of sound intensity, they fall off with distance. Using dB to judge how loud something is depends greatly on the frequency pattern of the sound as well as the distance, sort of like video headsets claim to be "equivalent to a 50 inch television" ... at 20 feet and 640 by 480 resolution.

'MWeston' said:

The speakers aren't crazy loud, but are fairly strong.
Hmm, 91 dB is like something you should wear ear protection if you are near it for long periods, "fairly strong" would be a real understatement then, so i dont really believe in that (of course when i get the pandora i can test, so...). Also what does 0.2W/0.1M mean? Only one i could think of is that 91dB is at 0.2 Watts from distance of 0.1 meters (10cm) with a 1Khz wave? (sine wave?)

'GuSec' said:
Guys who own the prototypes don't have Pandora speakers (except maybe a few of them), which is what the OP is asking about.

Honestly, who cares about the sound from the internal speakers on a portable? 95% of the time you'll be using sealed headphones to keep from disturbing other people, in which case it should sound on par with any of the better portable audio players.

Fortunately for the hardcore among us, the pandora has full USB host capabilities, so an external USB DAC is an easily added option for real sound quality(not to mention the fact that the Pandora is utterly silent), making the Pandora one of the coolest portable audio devices around. Ever since iRiver dropped their models with digital output, I've been waiting for a portable that can be used with an external DAC, and here it is.

Thanks MWeston, knowing that the volume is within the range of my PSP and DSL since I know most of the people here worry about it being loud enough. Still, I had hoped it was just that bit louder then my PSP since I do occasionally want to hear the thing while out and about without headphones.

Glad to hear the speakers are like the DS Lite's - the speakers on mine are great, and anything in that sort of bracket is fine by me. :)

Back