Pyra OS Name

Yar's revenge
That would suggest that it's in the same series as Zaxxon/SuperZazzon,   which it isn't really.  New device, new OS,  built from a different base distro.  

That said we could re-use the theme and start again from Z.  

I also like the idea of using an "OS name - Version name"  scheme which leads me to ponder if something like  "Pyrian - Zork"  Could work for the initial release.   (or perhaps "Debyra - Zork")

-Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilOS anyone ?

I like Pyrian, but maybe something else would be good as well.

DP-DOS (Dragonbox Pyra - Debian Operating System)

PIND (PIND Is Not Debian)

Let's confuse people !  :p

my initial suggestion for any debian release on the pandora was: debora. as in the female name.

debyra would very well fit that scheme, but wouldnt make any sense namewise and thus would not be any fun.

i totally love the idea behind papyrOS.

but we could simply go for pyrOS, which would translate to "fire-OS".

pyrrhos is also the name of a greek warlord (somewhat related to alex the great). maybe we shouldnt go that direction.

NOCIX  (No he who should not be named.)

POS (Ostensibly for Pyra OS.  However, if lost in translation could mean that the Pyra running Pyra OS could be seen as a flaming piece of excrement - so probably a bad idea.)

Pebian, Pybian, Pyrbian, Pyrabian would all work.

dbdbOS would be a mistake.

EvildragoOS might work.  Or just DragOS - maybe not though.

I used to run Potato, before I upgraded to Woody.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPotato

While the reference is nice (Potato being an old Debian version and "pyra" being a Polish word for "potato"), I think it's not a very good idea to use it as a name because people might incorrectly assume that we're using a horribly outdated version of Debian.
Oh, I didn't know there already was a Debian Potato.

Then let's just call it "Kartoffel".

Because its a Retro Emu Homebrewhandheld, i would sugest "Raider"

(its the old name of twix)..

(if you have some shokolade whit "Raider" on it, look at the Best before Date)..
I like it 'Raider' sounds good. Pyrian as suggeted by Bazzar works too.

Funeral potato I'm still trying to get my head around.  :eek:

Edit: I must have been tired last night. I don't remember starting this thread. Did a mod open it and move my post here?

Maybe I should lay off the quinoa.

I couldn't really care less. As long as the OS itself works.

OSDOS (open source debian operating system ;) )

not sure where potatoes are fitting in to the whole story, but i think "portentous potato" sounds nice.

(in all seriousness, pyros and pyrian sound quite nice to me.)

The Pandora OS didn't have a name other than I guess Angstrom when Angstrom was still a thing.  After that we just called it by its version name; Zaxxon, SZ etc.  I agree we need a version name series, rather than a single name for the OS.  For the sake of it, I vote for Monsters Inc. monsters; Sulley, Mike, Roz, Boggs etc.

Back