Pyra Mods

The thing is I need it to be able to receive between 87 and 108 MHz. So I can listen to FM radio.

The thing is I need it to be able to receive between 87 and 108 MHz. So I can listen to FM radio.
Oh I didn’t mean that you employ those specific antennas, nor those specific radio antennas; you’d need an RTL-SDR dongle...but I meant surely it must be possible to get the relèvent antenna (maybe a telescoping one) in the same format - where it sticks out of the side of the dongle like the ones in the image to which I linked?

Oh I didn’t mean that you employ those specific antennas, nor those specific radio antennas; you’d need an RTL-SDR dongle...but I meant surely it must be possible to get the relèvent antenna (maybe a telescoping one) in the same format - where it sticks out of the side of the dongle like the ones in the image to which I linked?
Yeah I have the dongle. That's the issue though, I can't find an antenna like that for those frequencies.

Yeah I have the dongle. That's the issue though, I can't find an antenna like that for those frequencies.
Did your dongle not come with any antennas? If you already have the right antenna but the wrong connector, would an adapter not sort the issue?

Did your dongle not come with any antennas? If you already have the right antenna but the wrong connector, would an adapter not sort the issue?
The antenna is a long wire that leads to a base, and the antennas screw onto the base. It works fine but it's so long.

Not what you wanted I think, but a year or two back Lidl did a battery charger (for NiCd/NiMH batteries mainly) that had a li-ion battery charger for batteries with three pin connectors built in. Maybe be more than two years ago, it was shortly before everyone started to build the battery into their phones and stop you popping the back to expose or change them.

I have not seen such a charger in a long time, but I remeber that some of those chargers had slideable pogo pings to fit all types of bateries. Maybe there are some on ebay that fit.

Always having a full baterie just waiting is a nice thing and gives me peace of mind.
Not sure if you charged your Pyra and you want to leave in a hurry? Just rotate the batteries and you are guaranteed to have a full one with you.
It would be nice if ed would sell a compatible charger.

There's plenty of Chinese Li-Ion USB charging PCBs being sold for <5 bucks, all you need is some pins for the battery contacts and a 3D printed case with a fitting battery slot.

That was the idea I had, also you can buy the original contact used under the pyra PCB as ed published the part list.
I don't know if it is easier to just buy one universal charger if I would find one.
But if I had a 3D printer this would be nice.
I could even sand it fill in all holes and spray paint it, so that it even looks nice.

I don't know if it is easier to just buy one universal charger if I would find one.
Depends on how "universal" you want it to be. The usual ready-to-use universal charging devices that are supposed to be used for charging Li-Ion batteries are fairly expensive, as they are designed to not only charge different battery types but also whole packs with varying voltages. Directly charging Li-Ion batteries is not exactly a common consumer topic.

But if I had a 3D printer this would be nice.
There are plenty of online services that offer printing things for you, still much cheaper than getting yourself a printer if you're not a regular user. And the better ones will likely have industrial-grade machines that achieve a quality you won't get with hobby printers.

I never thought about using one if these services.
I have to look at their pricing.
But we used them at the company a worked for to get some prototype case's. The quality was nice, it had like a mate surface as if the case was build from some plastic powder or so.

Back