Pyra Mods

You could always set up OpenVPN on a computer at home, then VPN back there... Then you're basically just using your home ISP regardless of what WiFi spot you've connected to. I used to do that for a while, until i broke my vpn server (which ran on Windows because I'll be damned if i could figure out how to configure it on a Linux box, i really should have another look at it, add i thinki saw a r'pi script to install and configure it)
I use my openwrt router. It works well, and has a very simple guide to set it up. That is, if you have an openwrt router. You can always get one for cheap at a used store, and have it just as an openvpn server on your network.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
But if you are looking for anonimity your best bet is cellular internet. The NAT along with random ip assignment (I have had some showing my physical location being states away), which changes based on tower makes it very unlikely anyone will closely look at what you are doing. You caneven get a prepaid with cash sim for extra insulation.
Tor puts me in whole different countries. And it's not just about masking your geolocation, tor running on a client ensures that even if your device connects to a rogue cell 'tower' that force breaks https and the likes your data is still protected.
Can't be any worse than TOR which was broken years ago.
Broken and then fixed, it's a constant battle against rogue exit nodes.

Of course, the way the internet's developed since I started farming some data out over TOR is that it's not your ISP or even your government you have to be the most concerned about mining your data and identity; it's certain large internet companies. But thankfully it's still possible to live on the internet and never to have signed up to any of those (and block all of their pings) if you're persistent.

Tor puts me in whole different countries. And it's not just about masking your geolocation, tor running on a client ensures that even if your device connects to a rogue cell 'tower' that force breaks https and the likes your data is still protected.

Broken and then fixed, it's a constant battle against rogue exit nodes.

Of course, the way the internet's developed since I started farming some data out over TOR is that it's not your ISP or even your government you have to be the most concerned about mining your data and identity; it's certain large internet companies. But thankfully it's still possible to live on the internet and never to have signed up to any of those (and block all of their pings) if you're persistent.

I agree the threat is mostly companies, but in that case TOR, cellular or a VPN takes care of the issue. If you are worried about the government all of them are flawed and I am sure the IME and AMD's version already disclose anything you are trying to hide.

If you think TOR hasn't already been broken outside of entrance and exit nodes.... well I don't know what to tell you.

I guess my point really is most things can provide some protection, but nothing is "safe," and proclaiming one thing to be worse than another is folly at best. So I'll take a better connection and similar safety without TOR.

I agree the threat is mostly companies, but in that case TOR, cellular or a VPN takes care of the issue. If you are worried about the government all of them are flawed and I am sure the IME and AMD's version already disclose anything you are trying to hide.
No VPN (or TOR) will help you hide anything from facebook if you log in to facebook using it, as most people do (but maybe a minority of us in here do to be fair).
If you think TOR hasn't already been broken outside of entrance and exit nodes.... well I don't know what to tell you.
Well of course some entrance nodes have been hacked, because all entrance nodes are real users. I'm fairly careful myself about what I download and am always relatively up-to-date, so I'm pretty sure I've not been compromised, but I can never prove it I guess. I understand some of the maths, so I'm relatively convinced the transit nodes can't spy, which only leaves the exit nodes as being capable of being faked systematically.

But yeah, I'm with you when you say nothing's perfect, and just using TOR or your hand rolled VPN isn't enough if you care about your security and privacy.

- 3D Printed case extension and 20000mAh 18650 battery module.

Be careful with this one. Make sure the batteries you choose will be ok with the charger circuitry. I think this should be fine since they’re Li-ion but I would double check the datasheet (bq24297). You’ll also need to modify the device tree to support the New capacity so the charger circuitry gets configured properly.

I use my openwrt router. It works well, and has a very simple guide to set it up. That is, if you have an openwrt router. You can always get one for cheap at a used store, and have it just as an openvpn server on your network.
Unfortunately, Sky forces you to use their router, which is pretty crap in both ethernet speed (think it is only 10/100) and WiFi (poor quality throughout the house, think it's only b and g). I have been trying wire up the network, but some is Ethernet over Power, which seems to be a bit flakey (I don't think it ever used to be).
I did think about adding a secondary wifi/router in front of the sky one, but it'll obviously still bottleneck trying to go out to the internet. Have been thinking about cancelling Sky and moving elsewhere, but not really had the time to look into it

Unfortunately, Sky forces you to use their router, which is pretty crap in both ethernet speed (think it is only 10/100) and WiFi (poor quality throughout the house, think it's only b and g). I have been trying wire up the network, but some is Ethernet over Power, which seems to be a bit flakey (I don't think it ever used to be).
I did think about adding a secondary wifi/router in front of the sky one, but it'll obviously still bottleneck trying to go out to the internet. Have been thinking about cancelling Sky and moving elsewhere, but not really had the time to look into it
Yeah, I have a service provided router too. However, portforward to my router, have media server and guest wifi on main router, and all my computers om the openwrt network. It is double natted, which isn't great, but I actually get better wifi speeds on the openwrt then the provided router, as openwrt is connected via ethernet and has much better wifi.

Or, something I did previous is to dmz the openwrt router, and the provided router is just passing everything to it, as provided routers suck, with no real config options.

The first mod I'll do is to resolder one resistor on the keyboard matrix to make the space key into two keys, then cut up a second keymat to have two actual buttons there, and then create a Neo2 keyboard layout for the Pyra!

Edit: And maybe 3D print a thinner base for the case without a battery lid.

The first mod I'll do is to resolder one resistor on the keyboard matrix to make the space key into two keys, then cut up a second keymat to have two actual buttons there, and then create a Neo2 keyboard layout for the Pyra!

It'll likely need more than that, you will need to update the Device Tree Source definition and make the changes in the array for the TCA8418 (i2c to keypad IC) then compile it into a new DTB and have it boot that instead of the default DTB.

The Neo2 is a full-sized keys, 10 finger touch type, keyboard. It is optimized for touch typing.

The Pyra is a handheld device with a total width of approximately 6 standard touch type keyboard keys. It is optimized for thumb typing.

You might want to consider using the Pyra keyboard as designed, at least initially, and then connecting a full size 'real keyboard' via USB or Bluetooth if you need to type a novel.

It'll likely need more than that, you will need to update the Device Tree Source definition and make the changes in the array for the TCA8418 (i2c to keypad IC) then compile it into a new DTB and have it boot that instead of the default DTB.

Thanks, I'll look up the details when I have a Pyra in my hands!

The Neo2 is a full-sized keys, 10 finger touch type, keyboard. It is optimized for touch typing.

The Pyra is a handheld device with a total width of approximately 6 standard touch type keyboard keys. It is optimized for thumb typing.

You might want to consider using the Pyra keyboard as designed, at least initially, and then connecting a full size 'real keyboard' via USB or Bluetooth if you need to type a novel.

Neo2 on a thumb keyboard works great! Source: Typing this on my Android phone with my two thumbs on a Neo2 layout.

Also, the keyboard was designed to be rewired, so in that regard I'm using it as designed ;-)

Edit: A bit more info on Neo2: Among its optimizations is that it makes you frequently switch hands on consecutive keypresses and this makes it work very well with two thumbs.

Last edited:
Not really a “mod” per se but anyone plan to use an RTL-SDR dongle with their Pyra?

Last edited:
I do, but I really want to find a short antenna that just sticks off of the stick, instead of a long wire with the antenna on a base.

Not really a “mod” per se but anyone plan to use an RTL-SDR stick with their Pyra?
I bought a DBV2 for the Pyra. It did not work on the Pandora (unlike the DBV1, which worked -until Europe decided to discontinue the old broadcasting signals) because it needs a newer VLC version (same thing here on my Linux Desktop, I run dinosaur software). Currently lost in my chaos, will resurface some day.

If I had a 3D printer I would print a charge dock for the batteries.
Like a toaster or so, where you slot in the batteries from the top so that they align with the connector (the part can be found in the bill of material, that ed published).
Maybe you can pause the print insert the connector with wires attached and then continue.

You then only need to connect a lithium charger to the wires.
If you are fancy you can put the charger inside the dock somewhere and have a nice looking charger.

If someone would create a nice looking and working charger for 1 - 3 batteries, I may even buy one.

Does anyone now a nice cheap charger to use for such a project?

I do, but I really want to find a short antenna that just sticks off of the stick, instead of a long wire with the antenna on a base.
Like the ones you get for quadricopter radio comms?
Post automatically merged:

I bought a DBV2 for the Pyra. It did not work on the Pandora (unlike the DBV1, which worked -until Europe decided to discontinue the old broadcasting signals) because it needs a newer VLC version (same thing here on my Linux Desktop, I run dinosaur software). Currently lost in my chaos, will resurface some day.
Looking forward to seeing it resurface!

Does anyone now a nice cheap charger to use for such a project?
Not what you wanted I think, but a year or two back Lidl did a battery charger (for NiCd/NiMH batteries mainly) that had a li-ion battery charger for batteries with three pin connectors built in. Maybe be more than two years ago, it was shortly before everyone started to build the battery into their phones and stop you popping the back to expose or change them.

Back