Pyra Mods

Sebzy

With Pyra hopefully one a few weeks away I'm already pondering what mods I try first.

- 3D Printed case extension and 20000mAh 18650 battery module.
- 3D Printed USB docking station allowing access to full size HDMI and Ethernet.
- RGB SOS Mode
- Integrated IrDA port leaching off the USB
- Boot Kali Linux

Anyone else planning anything fun?

With Pyra hopefully one a few weeks away I'm already pondering what mods I try first.

- 3D Printed case extension and 20000mAh 18650 battery module.
- 3D Printed USB docking station allowing access to full size HDMI and Ethernet.
- RGB SOS Mode
- Integrated IrDA port leaching off the USB
- Boot Kali Linux

Anyone else planning anything fun?
I have no printer, and couldn't model that up anyways.

However, if you do get a case extension with a 20000mAh battery, you could sell a few of those :).

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

is irDA still a thing? I remember seeing an HP inkjet printer with it long ago...

Just a technology I knew existed for a long time that absolutely no one I knew actually used.

Last edited:
Yes, I remember using it to send vcards to a friend, but that was a rather long time ago now. The only thing using IR nowadays are all of my remote controls, which still use an infra-red LED or two at the front, but I don't think that counts as IrDA since it preceded it as far as I recall. I first got an IR remote with a VCR that was originally bought around 1984, whereas IrDA was more of an early 90s thing to me. I do have an old Series 5 PDA in a box somewhere, but the LCD cable on that went south a long time ago.

Edit: On a different tack, the 18650 is a round battery, commonly found in squared off enclosures acting as laptop battery packs, back when they used to be something you could remove from your laptop. I guess they're still probably the cheapest way of getting a rechargeable battery, but still a bit of an awkward shape to attach to your pyra.

Last edited:
is irDA still a thing? I remember seeing an HP inkjet printer with it long ago...

Just a technology I knew existed for a long time that absolutely no one I knew actually used.

Quite handy for controlling TVs. Think changing the channel and adjusting volume on work TVs mounted to the walls tuned to the 'official' channel, same thing in bars, etc.

IRDA, at least the send side of it, was a feature of my Galaxy Note II that I abused pretty much as needed.

Dockingstation with portextension was in my scope as well. To clip it in and have an USB-Hub with RJ45, full HDMI and Power with it.

Same I planned to create a clip to hold the Pyra in a car and not block the ports.

But first I want to wait for xmas to get myself that printer I want (not released yet)

Edit: On a different tack, the 18650 is a round battery, commonly found in squared off enclosures acting as laptop battery packs, back when they used to be something you could remove from your laptop. I guess they're still probably the cheapest way of getting a rechargeable battery, but still a bit of an awkward shape to attach to your pyra.
Post automatically merged:

But first I want to wait for xmas to get myself that printer I want (not released yet)
Which printer?

Quite handy for controlling TVs. Think changing the channel and adjusting volume on work TVs mounted to the walls tuned to the 'official' channel, same thing in bars, etc.

IRDA, at least the send side of it, was a feature of my Galaxy Note II that I abused pretty much as needed.
IrDA and TV remote control signals aren't the same thing. Some devices sold as IrDA can be convinced to output TV remote control signals while others can't. The Android IR APIs support raw time-based IR signals, so you're not restricted to any particular data transfer standards.

Ouch enjoy waiting 20min per website.

Why not just use a vpn
The FUD is tasty these days isn't it?

VPNs are useful for when you're out an about and connected to J Random's wifi session which you can't really trust, but all you're doing is exchanging trust with J Random for the owner of the VPN, and many VPN runners have shown to be untrustworthy over recent years, so I'd suggest doing your research before paying your money for that. TOR on the other hand routes most of my traffic these days to somewhere in Germany, probably a US airbase there run by the CIA/FBI/the Saudis but at least they can't say I've done anything wrong without revealing their operations. The latency is about doubled (from about 12ms to 24ms) but the bandwidth is more there or there abouts so I've very little to complain about browsing under tor when I do do that.

You could always set up OpenVPN on a computer at home, then VPN back there... Then you're basically just using your home ISP regardless of what WiFi spot you've connected to. I used to do that for a while, until i broke my vpn server (which ran on Windows because I'll be damned if i could figure out how to configure it on a Linux box, i really should have another look at it, add i thinki saw a r'pi script to install and configure it)

That's true. I assumed @swordfishII was referring to the kind of VPNs that advertise to me on the TV all of the time. Rolling your own is a great way to extend the internet outside your home.

The FUD is tasty these days isn't it?

VPNs are useful for when you're out an about and connected to J Random's wifi session which you can't really trust, but all you're doing is exchanging trust with J Random for the owner of the VPN, and many VPN runners have shown to be untrustworthy over recent years, so I'd suggest doing your research before paying your money for that. TOR on the other hand routes most of my traffic these days to somewhere in Germany, probably a US airbase there run by the CIA/FBI/the Saudis but at least they can't say I've done anything wrong without revealing their operations. The latency is about doubled (from about 12ms to 24ms) but the bandwidth is more there or there abouts so I've very little to complain about browsing under tor when I do do that.
You could always set up OpenVPN on a computer at home, then VPN back there... Then you're basically just using your home ISP regardless of what WiFi spot you've connected to.

This.

But if you are looking for anonimity your best bet is cellular internet. The NAT along with random ip assignment (I have had some showing my physical location being states away), which changes based on tower makes it very unlikely anyone will closely look at what you are doing. You caneven get a prepaid with cash sim for extra insulation.

Can't be any worse than TOR which was broken years ago.

Last edited:
Back