Pyra Font

Could we please involve someone who studied media design?

There is a reason it exists and these fussy suggestions just prove it...

People like or dislike, not as a polar unity, but each to their own, and not often all or nothing there too.

If you break it down to demographies you get different answers, not because truth lies elsewhere, but because that is the reality of asking a question that begs a different answer.

Sometimes it converges, sometimes it doesn't.

What we as a group would like to have is the ambigram, because then it doesn't look weird "upside down" whatever side you are on in that issue. And we do.

It is hard to combine that with textual identity while maintaining the same style and essence. Its easy to make it look sleek, but sleek is just something else.

Whatever the creative and deciding process is, think of it this way, its a logo, it doesn't need a whole dance-number.

I and everyone else (by virtue of its at-least me) can agree that the logo works for the people that like it.

Adding bells and whistles _for no good reason_ is the opposite of design. That is bad, and unless it isn't, make it, and lets see.

There is something to gain from having something that works, for other people, like a conceptual 'colours other than purple', but its equally esoteric to the focus. Its not a pivotal issue. Its a wardrobe-malfunction for someone whos job it is to bend steel. The focus isn't every detail like a mad person, its reduced to the things that matter, like a sane person.

People don't care that much, they are not me, but that's just me. I understand and cherish the community appeal of designing a device for our community ourselves, but it is what it is.

If you want to put your mark on it, which is a level of abstraction we can all support, 3d-print a top lid cover, and an inlay, then potentially pay for another keymat to be made if you are feeling extra encouragement from voices in the head. Thats really what you see of any decisions made beforehand, changing the wallpaper and suchlike is trivial.

Rare people are rare for a reason. Getting a product to market, is about succeeding at not failing, and that means product for the general purpose, and mass, which is what it is.

A mini laptop gaming device. Its not a design device, which is good, but it just isn't about combining the two. Some part of it is looking in the mirror rather than gaze into the abyss.

This also means there is no market analysis, or focus-group testing. And even then that goes wrong for new reasons. Instead we have almost the polar opposite, and at the very top of that is ED. It couldn't be any other way, for good and bad. If you dont see how thats fantastic, you are missing the point, and falling into this: Even the reality of best-effort. You can try to make, assume or hope it can be the best of everything.

There is no media design answer to be made, nor is there anyone of that caliber or persona in, around, or behind the scenes.

I have spent percentages of my life on the issue, I cant tell you what it takes.

The issue of money isn't the issue, because it isn't there, nor do I think it should be, or that it fits the project.

Sometimes its wrong, and sometimes its right. Its a device that technically does what it says on the tin, and if it delivers on that part, then that's pretty amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could we please involve someone who studied media design?

There is a reason it exists and these fussy suggestions just prove it...
Yes, they exist to make those fussy ideas here look good in comparison and to give rich hipster kids something to study.

graphic-designer-what-people-think-i-do-meme.jpg

Yes guys... you can *blame* the logo on Binky and Me... but we did our best eh? ;)

LOL @ Klumpen

P.s. Look, even though I was responsible for the final tweaks of the logo, even I have my concerns now... but my concerns are about how it's going to look on the lid. If it's an accurate or very close representation of what we have now I'm cool with it.

But my big big BIG stress now is that in looking at the photos of the latest printed lid, somebody obviously modified the design I assume to give the plastic strength in that tricky spot by the hooks... and I think it looks shocking!

That logo is dependant on the flow of it's lines... you can't just disrupt them in one spot... if you need more strength in an area the entire line needs to be shifted, possibly the entire logo rebalanced...

I really hope I am being paranoid here and there's nothing to worry about...

This is why it sucks not having a dialogue with the case manufacturers when designing the logo... it would have been really useful to know what technical specifications we had to work under.

If ED is having trouble with the lid, I wish he would let me know what the problems are and I would happily *bruteforce* some spare time in my life to send him some possible modifications.

Yes, they exist to make those fussy ideas here look good in comparison and to give rich hipster kids something to study.

graphic-designer-what-people-think-i-do-meme.jpg
As funny as this picture is, I must say any help I got by graphic designers regarding fonts was an enrichment.

(I have huge respect/admiration for that profession/mental illness.)

Real designers are real, in the sense that people who studied graphical design aren't by admission designers, and that engineers aren't different from designers.

They know their material.

The lack of disclosed detail there, while opening up a major creative process, also means potential problems aren't optimally low.

Yes guys... you can *blame* the logo on Binky and Me... but we did our best eh? ;)
You know that this logo is great :rolleyes:

But my big big BIG stress now is that in looking at the photos of the latest printed lid, somebody obviously modified the design I assume to give the plastic strength in that tricky spot by the hooks... and I think it looks shocking!

That logo is dependant on the flow of it's lines... you can't just disrupt them in one spot... if you need more strength in an area the entire line needs to be shifted, possibly the entire logo rebalanced...

I really hope I am being paranoid here and there's nothing to worry about...
In this video the logo seems to have been respected.

https://youtu.be/89cZHdEO-p8?t=2m18s

Yeah I saw that, as you talked about photos I though you was talking about the former printed case which was worse.

However it looks not as bad as I expected, when I saw the first printed case. By respected I mean the overall feel that it gives, even if I'm still a bit disappointed by the ends, I guess they made their best and it could have been worst.

Okay, new competition: tweak the current logo without changing its general shape or idea to the best of your ability. Submissions must be in vector form and either be legible at 48x48px or contain several versions of the logo for different scale intervals.

After this we can have another one for banner/wallpaper raster art using the vector compo winner. Could be a good place to showcase fonts as well.

This community needs something to do for its idle hands.

(Mods, if this gets any support, split it into a different thread. Otherwise let it die here, not littering places)

So check out that sexy new banner image up top.  I didn't see a thread about it, so I figured this was better than creating a new thread.

I like it, but some things seem off.  Giant Pyra logo next to smaller "PYRA" over top of a Pyra.  Next to the even smaller Pandora stuff, which feels a bit better balanced to me, it feels like everything is kinda doing its own thing, and not really working together.  I can understand having the Pyra stuff be bigger than the Pandora stuff.  The logo and name just don't seem to belong together.  Maybe if the "PYRA" was below the logo, or maybe even across it in a different color, and move the Pyra image to the right.  I really shouldn't be criticial, as I haven't tried to make something better, and I have no formal training or education about such things, so what I think looks right would probably look like garbage.

I feel like we have seen that font before, and I kind of like it.  Does anyone else have any thoughts on it?  Is that the official logo font, or whatever you call it?

Back