Pyra Font

Kiga

Very Active Member
Hi everybody, it's been a while since I haven't posted. I remembered we was talking about the font for Pyra more than one year ago and nothing was decided, even if ED put a logo with a font on the header as far as I recall it's something ED put here just to put something  and not as the final font.

I wasn't against the font in th header before even if I thought it was kinda generic but with the hindsight it looks very generic and it's a step backward compared to the pandora font next to it.

I thought that since it's almost the day of Pyra birth that should be discussed.

Well, to me the philosopher font match perfectly with the logo:

140424112819313248.png

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth, there are different fonts on the forum logo, the website logo and the GamesCom fliers.

Have nothing against the current suggestion or fonts used in the past, but please don't go all caps. That's horrifying.

I find most important of all: NO SERIFS! Never ever ever use serifs in a "serious" company logo font. It just don't look good (onto the screen). It also remembers me onto the dark ages of Internet, where every Website had huge, ugly Headline fonts with ugly serifs everywhere. :wacko:  (Yes, I even found the simple Google font not that great, at least they finaly made their logo "clean" recently.)

Whilst I agree that serifs are bad for on-screen prose, I think they can make large text easier to read. I think google's old logo was much more pleasant and professional-looking than the cheap, tacky and ugly thing they're replaced it with. To some extent, I respected them for being one of the last holdouts of serifs.

Sans-serif fonts remind me of lazy people using MS office's current default of Arial, and of comic-sans.

In my opinion, we should definitely consider serifed fonts for this sort of thing.

However, ALL CAPS is bad.

Can it be Comic sans? I have a few graphics design friends that I want to annoy.

I think all-caps makes the initial cap seem less important.

Hey, look, this discussion is back!  I was hoping we could talk about the logo font again.

I find most important of all: NO SERIFS! Never ever ever use serifs in a "serious" company logo font.
I am fond of serifs in some cases, and I don't think they should all be immediately disqualified from "serious" company logos.  I do think think they would be a poor choice for the Pyra logo.  It seems others half also spoken up in defense of serifs. :D

Yes, I even found the simple Google font not that great, at least they finaly made their logo "clean" recently.
And now it looks terrible.

Whilst I agree that serifs are bad for on-screen prose, I think they can make large text easier to read.
I have found that a smaller font is more readable for me with serifs.  Typically I prefer sans fonts for computers, yet if I am using a small screen I usually go for serifs.

But a lot of official game company logos are in all-caps.
DOES THAT MEAN WE SHOULD ALSO DO IT?

What? You folks really think a Pyra logo would look better than PYRA? All caps is very suitable for logos when there are few letters (less than 5, which is the case of the one in question).

Sans font are also better because with so few letter, one could make them bigger harmoniously and the need for serif vanishes.

You folks really think a Pyra logo would look better than PYRA?
Yes.

ALL CAPS is shouty, loud and assertive. It presents the brand in a very in-yer-face way.

The Pyra logo, with its almost-calligraphic style, lands more on the "elegant" side of the field, and would clash with some bold, sans-serif fonts.

Illustrations to follow.

^ But what about my some of my examples up there? ^
They strike me as very aggressive  and assertive in their style, and would not look at all good with the flamey pyra logo.

So, it can depends on what the flame looks like? A cute baby flame would need a softer looking font?

Image below has nothing to do with any of this.

Aikvmi6.png

Back