Pyra dock connections.

Trashy,

I prefer copper over wireless too,

But, 100M is way too slow especially when you have to transfer several 720P movies from your home NAS to the Pyra in example...  :wacko:

Should the dock have a battery slot (taking the same battery as the pyra)?

It would allow it to operate as a powered USB hub even when away from mains power, and to act as an external battery charger, or provide power to charge the pyra when docked.
There are more than enough portable power bank solutions.  :eek:
There are also hundreds of USB hubs, USB-ethernet dongles and miniHDMI-HDMI adaptors :p

What there aren't are pyra battery chargers.

Trashy,

But, 100M is way too slow especially when you have to transfer several 720P movies from your home NAS to the Pyra in example...  :wacko:
I have 48 100Mbit ethernet ports wired throughout my house (have two 24 port switches) and a couple Gigabit drops to my file server.. but my desktop is on the 100Mbit drop.. it takes all of a few seconds to copy several 720p movies.. now with devices like the Pyra, even with Gigabit Ethernet, the bottleneck is the write speed of the SD card.

Binky,

The main idea of the docking station is to spare you all the wiring when you want to use your Pyra as a desktop computer with Monitor/TV, mouse and keyboard.

So the main idea of the dock is not to be portable at all ?  ;)

On other hand, instead of a battery bay, a hard disk bay will be a good touch. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Trashy,

I have 48 100Mbit ethernet ports wired throughout my house (have two 24 port switches) and a couple Gigabit drops to my file server.. but my desktop is on the 100Mbit drop.. it takes all of a few seconds to copy several 720p movies.. now with devices like the Pyra, even with Gigabit Ethernet, the bottleneck is the write speed of the SD card.
Come on, it will take ~ 5 minutes to copy one 720p movie from your NAS to your PC over a 100M Ethernet, not few seconds. :p

Edit: Also your W510 have a 1G NIC :p

It's all easy enough if we give up 'device mode' from the USB 3.0 OTG while docked.

Slap in a 7 port USB 3.0 hub and replicate the other ports with their full sized and non-combined equivalents and done.

I can buy my own USB 3 to GigE adapter, but would love to give up 1 of (4 or 7) USB 3.0 port on the hub to have a GigE built into the dock.

so what are talking here in Gigabytes..
A common 720p movie is around 4-5 Gigabytes. 
Okay maybe you are right for that size.. encoding is your friend as I was thinking around ~250MBs for 720p and 500MBs.for 1080p.  honestly 5 minutes isn't bad compared to the agonizing speed of wireless.. although something to reflect on, when I  had dialup at a blazing 2400 baud, I spent all day downloading the Warcraft II demo all of 12MBs

A common 720p movie is around 4-5 Gigabytes.
I'm going to agree with Trashy on this. A movie that size implies encoding many thousands of megabits per second. A 720p movie really only needs around 1000kbit, maybe 2000kbit at most if you're really a stickler for best of the best quality. Just doing a quick survey of assorted torrent sites, most movies are encoded at around 2000kbit giving sizes between 700-1.5GB, with a significant number encoded lower giving sizes around 400MB. Not seeing any that are 4-5GB, so it can't be common. Full DVD rips, yeah, but nothing that's been properly re-encoded.It's all moot anyway, as mentioned at those speeds the bottleneck is likely to be writing to the SD card.

Just doing a quick survey of assorted torrent sites, most movies are encoded at around 2000kbit giving sizes between 700-1.5GB
Hmm, "a common 720p Movies" for me are torrent files which have something like 720p.BluRay.DTS.1.x264 in their names :p ... around ~5GB depending on the length. 

The ones with 1080p.BluRay.DTS.1.x264 in their names are around double that size. :D

It's all moot anyway, as mentioned at those speeds the bottleneck is likely to be writing to the SD card

What is the situation with the UHS-II support ? 

720p.BluRay.DTS.1.x264
720p: Frame resolution, does not affect file size compared to other 720p video files

BluRay: Source material, does not affect size, but end result quality

DTS: Sound format, affects file size, but very little compared to the video

x264: Codec, determines the quality/size ratio (a reasonable simplification for this discussion)

None of that explains the 5GB size. The bit rate used in the x264 compression is the determining factor. Other than for archival for future re-encoding I, for one, see little point in having that large bit rate for 720p movies. Just sounds like a sloppy person doing the format change :)

I don't know if this is a sloppiness or not, but when I check the "HD movie section" like an "every day common man" :wub:  ,

of any of my local trackers, all the releases are around 5GB for 720p or around 10GB for 1080p. 

Wizardry in progress ?  :blink:   a screen shot can be provided if needed :p

Having a Ethernet port on 2015 device, which is not 1G, is like putting a wheels like this on the next Ferrari model.

cart-wheel-1-741569-m.jpg

Wizardry in progress ?
Doubtful, I fully believe you, but I stand by what I said: encoding 720p h264 at more than 2000kbit is a waste; even if you're right and the particular tracker you're looking at is full of 5-10GB files then it's a lot of wasted space from under-utilized encoding. I'm still looking at different torrent sites and while there are a few encoded at 5000+kbits they're the exception, not common at all. I'm not calling into question that the site you're looking at has them, and apparently accounts for most of them, I'm saying that one site using excessive bit rates doesn't make it common.
What is the situation with the UHS-II support ?
The OMAP5 supports SDR104 on MMC1, so UHS-I at best. MMC2 as well but that's for the internal eMMC. MMC3 and MMC4 are sdhc speeds

Agreed on the movie sized topic. :)

As far as I can see, SDR104 means up to ~95 MB/s read and ~90MB/s write,

so in case of large file transfer, the 100M Ethernet interface will not allow more then ~10-12 MB/s - That is what I call a bottleneck :)

If a 1G Ethernet is implemented the maximum writing speed of the card still can be achieved - That is what I call a feature :p

Again, Why we need a Ferrari with a wagon wheels on it ?

If a 1G Ethernet is implemented the maximum writing speed of the card still can be achieved - That is what I call a feature :p

Again, Why we need a Ferrari with a wagon wheels on it ?
Maybe Limitations ?

If you want a 1G Ethernet port you need a proper interface to the SoC, and as we are in the dock, there are only either a USB2 or USB3 as an option (Ethernet over HDMI will only allow for Fast-Ethernet speeds). If Ed has something in mind like Grench proposes (which I hope) then I guess a 1G Ethernet port is possible (even if its an external one via a USB-Ethernet adapter), but if EDs decides to utilize the USB2 port for that, things will get slow.

But I have my doubts that the SoC will be able to provide datarates high enough to fully use a 1G Ethernet connection (anyone got links to any real life test what modern SoCs are able to handle?)

I approve this thread, I was expecting to read that rs232 connectors were going to be on the dock. an Ethernet connection is going to be nice. real serial is all I want. if you wanted an expensive pyra just put parallel ports on the dock (LULZ).

thanks for the clarification :D

I want a dock for the Pyra that has its own wheels and software and can follow me around and take custom voice commands.

In other words, a Pyrabot!

(I am robot obsessed)

I want a dock for the Pyra that has its own wheels and software and can follow me around and take custom voice commands.

(I am robot obsessed)
Mounting the Pyra on a Roomba? 

Not sure if sucks...

(I am robot obsessed)
Mounting the Pyra on a Roomba? 

Not sure if sucks...
Aaargh! :lol:

We Have a Bad Joke Appreciation thread for a reason you know :p

Back