Pyra dock connections.

Pretty much all the 720p movies I've seen are 700-900 MB and 1080p are usually 1.4 to 1.9 gigs. MP4 containers, x264 codec and 23.976 fps. It seems to be pretty much the defacto standard.

And looking for Christmas specials I came across a few hour long VHS dumps at 340i that are almost 2GB and I'm just "whyyyyyyyy?"

And looking for Christmas specials I came across a few hour long VHS dumps at 340i that are almost 2GB and I'm just "whyyyyyyyy?"
In these cases it's normally down to the "noise" those old VHS tapes are not very compressible in comparison to to compressing a clean digital signal.

So more bits are used to try and accurately store the noise.

This can be reduced by using a denoise filter and also deinterlacing and also just taking a quality hit an forcing a lower bitrate...

Again.

Open any tracker,

and check the size of any movie from the rip groups like SPARKS or GECKOS.

I am everyday Joe when it comes to a video stuff so here is another example of "Why we need a 1G Ethernet on the Dock".

It is Christmas 2015 and you just received your brand new Pyra, 256GB SD Card, and[SIZE=13.63636302948px] shiny docking station (your Birthday is also on [/SIZE]Christmas[SIZE=13.63636302948px]  :p ) equipped with 100M Etherenet port on it.[/SIZE]

You decided to copy 100GB of Music, Movies, All seasons of Stargate, or whatever, from your home NAS to your docked Pyra, so be sure to remember this thread as soon as the "estimated time to copy" pops on your screen and hit you in the face. :)

Edit: We do not have any information about the WiFi module yet, but if IEEE 802.11ac is supported, a 100M Ethernet port is practically useless.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a doc is made with an external drive bay in it it May be worth looking into making a pyra without the screen or the controls as a pocket desktop. If you have adapters. You could bring it anywhere set it up in seconds and have a cheaper machine for desktop use. I could see it working nicely if you had two docks and just plugged it in. Also a stripped down version of a pyra doesn't need the 3/4g parts in theory. I don't know what you guys think of that especially considering the valid point of Well why not just throw the pyra in the dock and use two docks comes up. :/

Again.

Open any tracker,

and check the size of any movie from the rip groups like SPARKS or GECKOS.

I am everyday Joe when it comes to a video stuff so here is another example of "Why we need a 1G Ethernet on the Dock".

It is Christmas 2015 and you just received your brand new Pyra, 256GB SD Card, and[SIZE=13.63636302948px] shiny docking station (your Birthday is also on [/SIZE]Christmas[SIZE=13.63636302948px]  :p ) equipped with 100M Etherenet port on it.[/SIZE]

You decided to copy 100GB of Music, Movies, All seasons of Stargate, or whatever, from your home NAS to your docked Pyra, so be sure to remember this thread as soon as the "estimated time to copy" pops on your screen and hit you in the face. :)

Edit: We do not have any information about the WiFi module yet, but if IEEE 802.11ac is supported, a 100M Ethernet port is practically useless.
Scene groups aren't really a practical measure of what's reasonable for the majority of people though, 9000Kbps bitrate video is just as ridiculous as storing your videogame collection in 14.4MB RAR archives.

Scene groups aren't really a practical measure of what's reasonable for the majority of people though, 9000Kbps bitrate video is just as ridiculous as storing your videogame collection in 14.4MB RAR archives.

...And having a 100M Ethernet port [SIZE=13.63636302948px]is just as ridiculous as this:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]
hummer-h3-ultimate-wagon-wheel-03.jpg
[/SIZE]

This argument again...

If it's possible to tie it the USB 3.0 port fine you can have your Gigabit speed.. If the only possible solution is USB 2.0 then we're stuck with 100 Megabit.. It doesn't mean it shouldn't belong on the dock if it's not possible to get Gigabit.. 100 Megabit is still perfectly acceptable for streaming HD content and basically just about anything that can be done over the internet.

It doesn't mean it shouldn't belong on the dock if it's not possible to get Gigabit..
I agree.  If I buy a dock I would prefer it come with Fast Ethernet if the other option is no network connectivity.  I probably wouldn't be using it for much on my local network anyway, so I won't really benefit from Gigabit.  It would be nice to have Gigabit and USB 3, but if only one is available I think it is pretty simple to see which is more important to have.

I don't agree here.  For me wireless is for convenience.  If I am sitting at a desk using a Pyra with a keyboard and monitor and such I see no reason to not have Ethernet as an option if the only reason to skip it is that the built in wireless is faster.  Also, keep in mind that some people may not have wifi where they want to use the dock, or they may get higher speeds with the cabled connection.

I don't agree here.
Me neither. Compare wireless latency or signal quality to ethernet. Not just throughput. For games or video conferencing for example a stable low-latency signal is more important than high throughput.

I didn't even consider that.  Very good point, but do you really think people will be doing things like playing games on their Pyras? :p

This argument again..
Because it is 5000% valid. And it will be a real shame to have a "docking station" without such essential thing as 1G Ethernet port.

IBM 62P4551 from 2003 is having a 1G Ethernet on it WTF !?!?!.

Also, keep in mind that some people may not have wifi where they want to use the dock, or they may get higher speeds with the cabled connection.
This is the only true reason to keep it. Otherwise is useless. 

[SIZE=13.63636302948px][/SIZE]

Compare wireless latency or signal quality to ethernet. Not just throughput. For games or video conferencing for example a stable low-latency signal is more important than high throughput.
[SIZE=13.63636302948px] [/SIZE]

Dude, Come on. 

This argument again..
 Because it is 5000% valid. And it will be a real shame to have a "docking station" without such essential thing as 1G Ethernet port.

IBM 62P4551 from 2003 is having a 1G Ethernet on it WTF !?!?!.
And the question still remains (at least in my head) wether the Pyra will be able to use a 1GB to full capacity - and I'm not talking about SD-Cards specs here, but real live througput rates the system is able to deliver.

And the question still remains (at least in my head) wether the Pyra will be able to use a 1GB to full capacity - and I'm not talking about SD-Cards specs here, but real live througput rates the system is able to deliver.
It should be capable. On other hand, I do not have the hardware in order to test it.

What is your idea ?

Compare wireless latency or signal quality to ethernet. Not just throughput. For games or video conferencing for example a stable low-latency signal is more important than high throughput.
Dude, Come on.
I honestly have no idea how to interpret that. It's a valid difference between 100M ethernet and any current WLAN solution. Just that difference makes 100M ethernet not "practically useless". It might not give better throughput but it DOES provide other advantages, such as the ones mentioned. The only thing 1G ethernet provides over 100M is better maximum throughput.
There's a good reason why for example Nintendo recommends using the 100M wii ethernet adapter for competitive online smash bros and it's not the time it takes to transfer a large file.

I honestly have no idea how to interpret that. It's a valid difference between 100M ethernet and any current WLAN solution. Just that difference makes 100M ethernet not "practically useless". It might not give better throughput but it DOES provide other advantages, such as the ones mentioned. The only thing 1G ethernet provides over 100M is better maximum throughput. There's a good reason why for example Nintendo recommends using the 100M wii ethernet adapter for competitive online smash bros and it's not the time it takes to transfer a large file.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2z6ZV5YwaI

There is no doubt that you will have less latency by using a cable instead of wireless, but check this video. This vita is connected to the Internet via WiFi and still recieve Game streaming from the PS4 like a champ. :)

Being able to receive a stream does not equal the latency being low enough for reaction-based games. One could argue playing monkey island via mailing commands and receiving DVDs containing a video of what happened is a feasible way to play it (not that far off from chess-by-mail). Around 4:45 of that video you posted you see him trying to dodge left quickly and the character on screen responds with something like 500ms delay. That's not at all acceptable.

Also lots of people don't have state of the art W-LAN base stations (I'm sure mine can't do 100M), but practically everyone will have at least 100M ethernet.

they may get higher speeds with the cabled connection.
Also lots of people don't have state of the art W-LAN base stations (I'm sure mine can't do 100M), but practically everyone will have at least 100M ethernet.
So we already have an example of what I was saying with a potential Pyra buyer.

I still think it is worth asking for gigabit, if it is possible, but Fast Ethernet is not even close to useless.

You'd be hard pressed to find any feature of any bit of hardware to be completely useless, that doesn't mean they should put every feature that might have a possible use you can speculate on. I'm not making an analogy to gigabit ethernet here but it would be really handy if for example if instead of the plastic stylus you got with a pandora one of the ends was actually a phillips screwdriver, no one would argue that such a thing would be useless but a line has got to be drawn somewhere on features.

Back