Pyra Case Strength Testing ?

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
There are similar topics out there, but this I am specifically interested in the strength of the case, because I take extra care of both my Rebirth and 1Ghz Pandora and yet their cases are progressively failing everywhere (cracks appearing here and there). The case is obviously badly designed in terms of plastic strength.

I have been involved in material research and plastics design and there are several ways you can actually assess such resistance during design. You can do structural testing, you can do 3D weakness/strength modeling to identify the weak points in your case, and most importantly you can do relentless testing (you have machines that can open and close lids 24/7 for weeks to stress the physical parts to the max -> then you can really see what fails), as well as drop tests (dropping a full unit from 50 cm, 1m, 2m, etc... and see what breaks and how often).  

I hope ED is planning to do some of these with his case partner, because that would be very disappointing to buy another 500-600 USD device with a weak case that cracks just because you use it. 

While there surely will be some testing, I doubt the Pyras case will see such extensive testing...but only Ed knows

While there surely will be some testing, I doubt the Pyras case will see such extensive testing...but only Ed knows
It's not something that should be too costly (the testing itself), but this will probably require several iterations before the final design of the case, and maybe ED is not interested in that aspect because of timings.  

Well, the case will regardless be made of better quality plastics, and is designed by the same company that will produce them. Quality should be a lot better from the start.

if that's the case the early adopters (us) will be punished with something that cracks after 6 months :(  

I'm really hoping for something better though...
I don't think there is need to be that negative, there surely will be a couple of iterations, I just have my doubts that there will be a lot (= enough to completly iron things out).I'm rather positive on this one, as I still have my orginal (black) case and there is only one small crack and I don't handle my devices carefully. Only exception is the battery lid, which is only held in place by tape now; Ed said that won't be a problem as the material will be more durable, but this thing is a design failure in my opinion, so the tabs will surely brake off.

Only exception is the battery lid, which is only held in place by tape now; Ed said that won't be a problem as the material will be more durable, but this thing is a design failure in my opinion, so the tabs will surely brake off.
I would rather a screw be used than the bending plastic clip.  If the cover were held on with a screw it wouldn't need all three plastic pieces in place for it to stay on.  That bending clip is a thorn in the side of producing a metal case too, and it'd be nice if that later redesign didn't require very much redesigning.

as I still have my orginal (black) case and there is only one small crack and I don't handle my devices carefully
Well the other problem is that the quality has too much variation. You have people like you who have not much issue with their cases, and I have seen others who have failure everywhere. Ideally you shouldn't see so much variation if the strength is sufficiently robust in the first place.

My 1Ghz has now 4 visible cracks (2-3 around the hinge), 1 around the battery piece, and those are coming from frequent use only. My initial black rebirth had a crack coming around the speaker and again I have no idea why it developed there.

the reason why I'm worried is that the case design of the Pyra looks like a cut and paste of the Pandora one, and you may well get similar weaknesses in certain points of the case because of the way it's designed. That's why I'd like to see data to be reassured it won't be cracking as much.

My Experience is totally different to yours ekianjo.

I wear my Giga Pandora on my belt every day in a mediate soft case (you can squeeze it but it's harder than cotton).

In the train or bus I use rather often I don't remove the Pandora from my belt so I somehow sit on it (not directly).

There is no single crack in my Pandora since over a year now.

Not even the fragile pat of my shoulder button mood did break.

The only thing that's crap is: The screws

My Experience is totally different to yours ekianjo.

I wear my Giga Pandora on my belt every day in a mediate soft case (you can squeeze it but it's harder than cotton).

In the train or bus I use rather often I don't remove the Pandora from my belt so I somehow sit on it (not directly).

There is no single crack in my Pandora since over a year now.

Not even the fragile pat of my shoulder button mood did break.

The only thing that's crap is: The screws
Let's get Askarus to open and close the pyra display a million times :D

Back