Pyra 4G wireless bands

I Should have asked if there would be an option for getting different 4G modules, and how much that would inflate the price of the Pyra

There is a 3.5g and a 4g model, they are somewhere in the region of 50-100 dollars, could be subsidized by telecom deals.

The modem provider offers many different solutions, nothing covers everything though, since different regions use different frequencies even for the same networks.

That I under stand I wounderd if we could get one that supported the different bands the areas use, so that everyone gets the option to choose if they want 4G or not, and not based on if thier providers support the one band availble in North Amerca

Frederico has a valid question, I Europe the 1800MHz band if regularly used for 4G while in America it is used on 1700MHz.

The 4G/LTE modem will have a EU and an US version, so the question is which one will be in the Pyra or will both be (for example: selected modem type when ordering).

If it is not selectable probably only the 2100MHz can be used in America, and not all providers offer this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mobile_network_operators_of_Europe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_wireless_communications_service_providers

These are quite extensive lists of bands in European countries and the US

800/1800 GSM   and/or 2100  LTE seem like the most commonly used ones.

The chip comes in two varieties, from source

PLS8-E:

Five Band LTE: 800/900/1800/2100/2600 MHz, FDD-Band

(2 0,8, 3,7,1)

Tri Band UMTS (WCDMA): 900/1800/2100 MHz,

FDD-Band (8,3,1)

Dual Band GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 900/1800 MHz

>

PLS8-US

Quad Band LTE: 700/850/AWS (1700/2100)/1900 MHz,

FDD-Band (17,5,4,2)

Tri Band UMTS (WCDMA): 850/AWS (1700/2100)/1900 MHz,

FDD-Band (5,4,2)

Quad Band GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

The -E model has worldwide coverage with notable exception of the US, and the -US bands arent used many other places than the US.

It is an alluring prospect to ship just one of the two for all markets, since that is easier in terms of distribution.

To answer your question, calling services are easy to get. In North America, if the -E model is chosen, you will have to live in a city in Canada to get coverage. (2600(

Calling is the easy part with a choice of either CDMA, allthough GSM is less invasive, and i know they have that too.

UMTS is a go in Canada

For NA, and LTE, if the -E model is chosen to cover all bases, then you need to live in a city in Canada to get coverage.  Bell and also Rogers operate 2600Mhz networks  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks#Americas

I dont know if the antenna chosen for the pyra will go all the way to 2.6GHz though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully ED and his team are aware of the weridness that is the US mobile phone industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_frequencies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_wireless_communications_service_providers

I'm betting they have a US version planned.  On the end user side of things, we'll just need to know which provider(s) the resulting device will work on.  It may only be one.

From the above description of the US wireless module - I'm betting the device would work on AT&T (highly likely) and T-mobile (maybe) but not on Sprint, US Cellular or Verizon.

Unless there is a 3rd version of the module for CDMA2000 networks, 3 of the top 5 US carriers are out.

CDMA2000 ~186 million US subscribers

GSM ~ 181 million US subscribers

However, that only tells the top cut of the story.  Dig deeper and each carrier has a slightly different blend of frequencies and protocols.

Last information I had was that he was going to use the "world" version of the PHS8 (the 3G module), but now that he's got plans for the 4G I suspect he still intends to use the "world" version of the PLS8, assuming there is one. If not he'll need to have two versions, one for EU and another for NA. Or just stick with the 3G which I know has a world version that covers both.

Here's the PLS8 datasheet. General Features on page 3 tells the frequencies it supports, just look up your carrier and see what bands they use. Like Grench says, in the US I know T-Mobile and AT&T are supported (my old phone had the same support that the US chip will provide and I would connect to one of them when visiting the US, at least before I got the dedicated T-Mobile plan and then only connected to them), Verizon should be supported (it's using the right bands, at least, but could be a different protocol), and I think Sprint maybe is but I'm not too confident (right frequency, wrong bands, probably wrong protocol). That's the major ones.

I just hope that there's an undisclosed world version of the PLS8 the way there is for the PHS8.

This i fine but A I live in Canada and B my provider is locked out of the frequencies that are shared

At this pont I'll just have to go with a non-4G pyra

You're in Surrey, yeah? You should look into Wind Mobile. As long as you stay in the city they're great, cheap, and will be 4G compatible.

It seems that there is currently no voice over 4G protocol available. If that is true, everybody that wants to use voice calls has to check the 2G and 3G compatibility, too.

It seems that there is currently no voice over 4G protocol available. If that is true, everybody that wants to use voice calls has to check the 2G and 3G compatibility, too.
That's right, you should as it will be a fall back if there is no 4G (even in the future).

But voice over 4G might become available in the near future though, Vodafone Netherlands (and other dutch providers) recently switched so you can use voice over 4G. So other countries/providers might do this also before the release of the Pyra.

OK now I'm REALLY concerned, as I want to use this as a replacement for both my Pandora AND my phone.

I don't care, to be honest. Currently AT&T, was going to switch to T-Mobile. But I'll settle for anything the Pyra works on. Voice support is more important to me than data.

Last edited by a moderator:
T-Mobile will definitely work. They're who I used to use when I visited the US and my old phone was a strict subset of the PLS8-US bands.

Not the E, the -E chip won't work in the US at all, as near as I can tell.

Back